Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2008, 10:46   #16

Elantra - Alloys and Tyre replacement

Hi guys, I just got introduced to this forum and I am glad it looks neat and informative. I need some thoughts on some specific matters and will be grateful if you could advice.
· The first set of tyres need replacement after 27k (originally fitted MRF tyres and I am told they are no good). I have been reading conflicting reports in this site on Michelin types (someone says it keeps bulging on the sides on Indian roads), Yoko, Bridgestone and Goodyear. If you could help me with this. I am looking for mileage, comfort and less hassles (in its priority).
· Do the first sets of tyres wear out faster, as I am told by the Hilton Hyundai (Trivandrum) service advisors? Seems ridiculous to me.
· How long do you think good tyres should last on Indian roads, for an Elantra?
· My alloys need replacement (one of which has a dent which causes imbalance and an impact on the air pressure. Do I go in for a change to just that wheel (company sold alloy) or get a new set of alloys from a different manufacturer (advantages)?
· Let me know if there is someone out there who has spare original alloys. There could be a few who would have replaced their original sets of alloys.
Thanks and looking forward,
Jones
Old 4th December 2008, 11:51   #17

Bridgestone/Michelin/?? for Elantra-thoughts??

Hi guys, I just got introduced to this forum and I am glad it looks neat and informative. I need your thoughts on some specifics.
  • The first set of tyres need replacement after 27k (originally fitted MRF tyres and I am told they are no good). I have been reading conflicting reports in this site on Michelin tyres (someone says it keeps bulging on the sides on Indian roads), Yoko, Bridgestone and Goodyear. If you could help me with this. I am looking for mileage, comfort and less hassles (in its priority).
  • Do the first sets of tyres wear out faster, as I am told by the Hilton Hyundai (Trivandrum) service advisors? Seems ridiculous to me.
  • How long do you think good tyres should last on Indian roads, for an Elantra?
Jones
Old 4th December 2008, 13:30   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesbl1 View Post
Hi guys, I just got introduced to this forum and I am glad it looks neat and informative. I need your thoughts on some specifics.
  • The first set of tyres need replacement after 27k (originally fitted MRF tyres and I am told they are no good). I have been reading conflicting reports in this site on Michelin tyres (someone says it keeps bulging on the sides on Indian roads), Yoko, Bridgestone and Goodyear. If you could help me with this. I am looking for mileage, comfort and less hassles (in its priority).
  • Do the first sets of tyres wear out faster, as I am told by the Hilton Hyundai (Trivandrum) service advisors? Seems ridiculous to me.
  • How long do you think good tyres should last on Indian roads, for an Elantra?
Jones
MRF tyres can last 50k and above easily. Softer compound tyres like Michelin/Yoko etc can last abt 40k. This depends on your maintainence. Rotation, balancing, alignment to be done regularly.

What tyre depends on your budget and your usage. You do a lot of highway driving? If so, you will need a tyre which grips well at high speed.
If most of your driving is at city speeds, then look for a tyre aimed more towards comfort.

Do specify your budget and your usage.
Old 4th December 2008, 13:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

I'm no tire guru, but recently drove a bhp-ians Stage 2 elantra, which was shod with bridgestones, and the car felt rock steady even at 190Km/hr. Heard there are some issues with Yoko S drives at high speeds. Michelins are also a good option.
Old 4th December 2008, 18:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I'm no tire guru, but recently drove a bhp-ians Stage 2 elantra, which was shod with bridgestones, and the car felt rock steady even at 190Km/hr. Heard there are some issues with Yoko S drives at high speeds. Michelins are also a good option.
Jay D,

Bridgestone which one? potenza's or turanza's or something else?
Old 4th December 2008, 18:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

I will go for Turanzas any day! i suggest bridgestone
Old 4th December 2008, 18:45   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Stick to Michelin PP2's for the Elantra's. Tried, tested and satisfactory results. Keep away from Yoko S.drives.
Old 5th December 2008, 09:46   #23

Guys, thanks for the responses. I drive long distances quite regularly, mainly between Chennai, Bangalore and Trivandrum and I drive quite fast as well. I think it was Nikhil who said MRF tyres go on for well over 50k... is that true and if so why none's talking about these tyres. The responses drive me to think that Bridgestone is preferred to the rest.
Just another question, have you come across the recently introduced 'Assurance' from Goodyear that boasts of Kevlar protection (5 times stronger than steel)? Sounds good and one of my friends who have driven around 5k with it thinks its nice (too early to say though).
Once again, thanks for the responses.
Old 5th December 2008, 11:35   #24
BHPian

jonesble1,

my honest advice to you, stay away from Goodyear if you are more into long drive and that too you said you drive fast too. I have used Eagle F1s and GT3s on my Ikon and Magnum. They feel good but they are not reliable enough. However i do not have any about Assurance' performance. But overall i would suggest stay away from Goodyear.

i would strongly recommend that you get the set of Bridgestone Potenzas or Michelin PP2s. Potenzas are old technology tires compared PP2s however i still feel potenzas are better tyres in all sections (breaking, highspeed, comfort, life and cost)
Old 5th December 2008, 12:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Stick to Michelin PP2's for the Elantra's. Tried, tested and satisfactory results. Keep away from Yoko S.drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
i would strongly recommend that you get the set of Bridgestone Potenzas or Michelin PP2s. Potenzas are old technology tires compared PP2s however i still feel potenzas are better tyres in all sections (breaking, highspeed, comfort, life and cost)
Totally agree with these statements. Go for Michelin PP2's or Bridgestone Potenzas.
Old 5th December 2008, 13:29   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

If you are referring to the good old GIII's I would stay away from them for an elantra.
Old 14th February 2011, 11:00   #27
alphamike

OEM Alloys Hyundai Elantra 2.0 CRDi

I am on a look out for a set of alloys for my Elantra. 195*65*R15
I was given to understand its about 20K/wheel with the Company.
Is there anybody who would want to sell these as used or suggest where can I pick one.
Also welcomed are the options otherwise for 16 in alloys with 114 pcs 4 holes.
cheers

Old 31st October 2011, 11:25   #28
alphamike

alloy wheels elantra

hi,

I would like to get a new set of alloys for my elantra.
There are only few options for the size.
I drive currently 16" (206/55/16) and the tires don't last more than 30k.
I repalced the first time at about 29K and the now its 63K.
I think there's a big issue with the rear two alloys.
The allignment and the balancing are pretty much checked and maintained.
I would like to go back to the stock 15".
What tire size should i be looking at. The stock is 195/65/15 and on some elantra's its 195/60/15. Does 205/60/15 make a good option on fresh 15" alloys or 205/55/15. I am not sure there are much options available on tires either. I saw Michellin hydroedge (all season) online but not sure whether the tires are available in India.
Please suggest on the fall back from 16 to 15 inchers and also the tires.

cheers

Old 31st October 2011, 11:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: alloy wheels elantra

alphamike the Elantra came with 195/60-15 as stock wheels IIRC ,yet to see one with 195/65-15( could be wrong though). Your options if you want to downsize to 15 would be 205/55-15 , 205/60-15 or 215/55-15 .

The 205's should be available in the S-drives if you can lay your hands on them. If Hankook Ventus RS-2s was available in India I would put my money on these anyday.
Get a set of Maxxis Victra MA Z1's, a friend has shod his i20 with these tires and swears by their grip in wet.

BFGoodrich G-Sport is also a good option to check out.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 16:44   #30
alphamike

Re: alloy wheels elantra

i would like to downsize to 15" rims for sure. The tires are in big question. The review on Team BHP is not that great for the Hankook. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...r-s2-good.html)

My friends (Sai Iyengar & Sons) recommends Yokohama but the tires aren't in stock.

cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks