Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2012, 20:00   #136
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Dear Folks,

Need to replace my SX4 Zxi stock OE JK Tyres (served for 56K KMS) - post 5+ years. What's the latest that can be considered? Did enquire about Michelin PLC - but costs very high - 9.2K, no discounts (in Bangalore). I am not keen to do upsize and would rather fit the regular size 205/60 R16.

Current performance of Yoko's ES501 or Bridgestone PIII or Apollo Accelere and recommendation - would be of great help.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 13th December 2012, 01:37   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
Dear Folks,

Need to replace my SX4 Zxi stock OE JK Tyres (served for 56K KMS) - post 5+ years. What's the latest that can be considered? Did enquire about Michelin PLC - but costs very high - 9.2K, no discounts (in Bangalore). I am not keen to do upsize and would rather fit the regular size 205/60 R16.

Current performance of Yoko's ES501 or Bridgestone PIII or Apollo Accelere and recommendation - would be of great help.

Thanks in anticipation.
Michelin has quite a few offers going on currently Ansari wide range too, you can check pirelli too
Old 20th March 2013, 16:04   #138
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

SX4 zxi, Jun 2007 model, 47700KM on stock tyre. I went for regular size 205/60 R16 tyres from GoodYear Assurance. Happy with low noise and confidence back again while cornering. Cost Rs 7K/tyre - valve and nitrogen free + some gifts worth 3K.
Old 9th April 2013, 11:48   #139
BHPian

SX4 VDi - Change only front tyres?

Hi,

I am in a bit of dilemma. I have OEM Apollo Acelere's on my SX4 VDi that have done around 40k so far. Recently I ended up damaging the side wall on one of my front tyre. This tyre now needs to be replaced. However, I think I still have a very decent tread on the other 3 tyres. I also have a spare tyre which has done less than 100 kms total. Is it receommended to buy 1 new tyre of the same brand/size, pair it with the spare tyre and run it on my front wheels and let the read tyres remain the way they are? Or is it always receommended to change all tyres together?

Effectively my two front tyres will be new and rear two tyres 40k kms old.

Wondering if thats a good way to drive around.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 14:41   #140
Senior - BHPian

Re: SX4 VDi - Change only front tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Hi,
Is it receommended to buy 1 new tyre of the same brand/size, pair it with the spare tyre and run it on my front wheels and let the read tyres remain the way they are? Or is it always receommended to change all tyres together?
How does it matter at all ? Pick up a new tire and change the damaged one, else if you have the money then replace all 4 . Replacing one tire shouldn't be a cause of concern pal.
Old 9th April 2013, 14:57   #141
BHPian

+1 to rjstyles69.
You can use the spare tyre as of now and change one tyre whenever needed. You can ask the tyre store whether it can provide you a single tyre instead of a set. Stick to the stock OEM size also, since all 3 other tyres are untouched.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 15:15   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I am in a bit of dilemma. I have OEM Apollo Acelere's on my SX4 VDi that have done around 40k so far. Recently I ended up damaging the side wall on one of my front tyre. This tyre now needs to be replaced. However, I think I still have a very decent tread on the other 3 tyres. I also have a spare tyre which has done less than 100 kms total. Is it receommended to buy 1 new tyre of the same brand/size, pair it with the spare tyre and run it on my front wheels and let the read tyres remain the way they are? Or is it always receommended to change all tyres together?

Effectively my two front tyres will be new and rear two tyres 40k kms old.

Wondering if thats a good way to drive around.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
At 40K , the tyres are almost at the end of their life. Even though the tread is present the rubber would have degraded and will no longer provide adequate grip! Suggest you change all the tyres since its the existing ones are at the end of their life cycle
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 16:33   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
+1 to rjstyles69.
You can use the spare tyre as of now and change one tyre whenever needed. You can ask the tyre store whether it can provide you a single tyre instead of a set. Stick to the stock OEM size also, since all 3 other tyres are untouched.
Thanks guys. The only issue is that I will have 3 worn out tyres and one almost new tyre...may be a bit of an imbalance. I am thinking of going for a full replacement. Thanks for your tips!!
Old 9th April 2013, 16:35   #144
BHPian

It was quite strange that you never opted for tyre rotation till 40K KMs
I suggest to buy 2 new tyre with same spec and put them in the front. Use the extra tyre as extra tyre only
If you have more money change all
Old 9th April 2013, 16:48   #145
Senior - BHPian

Depends on whats your goal.

Save money - Put the sidewall damaged tyre in the boot and put the extra tyre in its place (If the sidewall damaged one is good enough for few kms).

Less expensive - Buy one new tyre, put the spare (which is new) and the new tyre up front. Throw the sidewall damaged one out, and put the other one from front at spare.

Money is not a problem - Replace all four with same brand new tyres .
Old 9th April 2013, 16:52   #146
Senior - BHPian

Buy two new tyres and fir it on the rear wheels. Use better out of the three in the front and continue to use the 100KM old tyre as spare wheel. When the two tyres wear out buy another new and probable similar to the spare wheel and can use for mile crunching.

Quote:
Less expensive - Buy one new tyre, put the spare (which is new) and the new tyre up front. Throw the sidewall damaged one out, and put the other one from front at spare.
Cheaper option is what mayanljha mentions above.^^^^
Old 9th April 2013, 17:05   #147
BHPian

Buy one new tyre. Pair with spare and use both on the rear.

Now keep the one tyre amongst the three (which have done 40k) which has the most tread depth as spare. Use the remaining two in the front.

My theory is that the front two will get worn out soon and then you can buy two new ones and then you will have four relatively new tyres pretty soon.

Last edited by revintup : 9th April 2013 at 17:06.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:30   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Use 2 new tires in the front (i.e. Buy one tire & the 2nd one is the spare wheel tire in the boot as its new)

Out of the remaining 3 select the best 2 and put them @ the rear

Rear tires you can change later on if required & when you change them put new set up front for tire rotation purpose.

Dont use/keep your side wall damaged tire (not even in the spare) as it can be dangerous for you & your family.

Last edited by karan561 : 9th April 2013 at 17:34.
Old 9th April 2013, 19:05   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. The only issue is that I will have 3 worn out tyres and one almost new tyre...may be a bit of an imbalance. I am thinking of going for a full replacement. Thanks for your tips!!
IDEA! The tyre you are using as spare has done only 100+/- kms. Then, get one new tyre and pair it with the spare tyre at the front/rear (I have no idea about this thing). A pair will be almost new, either at front or rear. And thiswill result in no problem, AFAIK. Throw the 'injured' tyre out!
When your rear tyres (any pair which you are using now) are worn out, then get 2 new ones. But, you will never ever have all 4 NEW tyres!
The tyre (at front with no problems now) can be used as spare.
Remember, get tyres rotated at frequent intervals. But, do check that the new one doesn't pair with any of the worn out ones (either at front or rear).

Cheers.
Old 9th April 2013, 19:20   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

As suggested by many members, as a cost effective solution, buy one tyre, pair it with the spare and use it in the front. I'd prefer grippy tyres on the front because:
  • Braking is front biased, so you need better tyres there to make it effective.
  • Better grip while steering will mean, no understeer. However, bald tyres at the back and good ones upfront will also mean oversteer (and fish tailing) on curves with very less traction. Please be careful.
Whatever you do, please don't combine one good tyre and one bald tyre as a set in front or in the back. On hard braking, it WILL cause the car to go sideways.

Last edited by dhanushs : 9th April 2013 at 19:21.

Most Viewed