Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 15:13   #196
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys, my Sx4's Michalin primary LCs reaching their end of life after driven around 45k. One tire got damaged recently due to a break in the side wall. While it was punctured, I have driven the car for few meters that has caused permanent damage. Now I am running with spare tire which is a JK vectra, a residue of previous tire change that happened when car was driven about 42K. Now ODO says 88K. Now my question is whether I have to go for all tire change? or just buy one used tire of PLC ? It seems there is still some tread remaining on the rest of PLC tires, that I can easily run for about another 5K km.
In short

1. Is it better to go for a single tire and run as far as it lasts? I called a Michalin dealer in Hyd, he says that a used tire is available with them at the price Rs:2500. He said that the used tire has another 40% of life. My current tires seems to have around quarter inch of tread, just 2 mm above the safety button indicator.

2. After reading good reviews on GY, I am tempting to go for it. In that case i will buy 2 pieces of GY and install it on front wheels. Is it better to go for all new 4 tires or just 2 at the front ? I am not keen on changing all 4 tires because I am planning to dispose off my SX4 Zxi (2007 make) soon and go for a compact SUV. Is it worth buying all 4 new tires and will it increase resale value?

In breif, a single used tire of the same make vs 2 new tires of the different make at the front vs all new tires for a soon to be sold car?
The point is if I plan to keep my car for few more years, I will definitely go for new Primary LCs with my eyes closed as my ride experience with them was awesome due to their soft nature.

I am confused, please suggest!

Last edited by dilsoft : 27th October 2014 at 15:21.
Old 27th October 2014, 16:12   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilsoft View Post
Guys, my Sx4's Michalin primary LCs reaching their end of life after driven around 45k. One tire got damaged recently due to a break in the side wall. While it was punctured, I have driven the car for few meters that has caused permanent damage. Now I am running with spare tire which is a JK vectra, a residue of previous tire change that happened when car was driven about 42K. Now ODO says 88K. Now my question is whether I have to go for all tire change? or just buy one used tire of PLC ? It seems there is still some tread remaining on the rest of PLC tires, that I can easily run for about another 5K km.
In short

1. Is it better to go for a single tire and run as far as it lasts? I called a Michalin dealer in Hyd, he says that a used tire is available with them at the price Rs:2500. He said that the used tire has another 40% of life. My current tires seems to have around quarter inch of tread, just 2 mm above the safety button indicator.

2. After reading good reviews on GY, I am tempting to go for it. In that case i will buy 2 pieces of GY and install it on front wheels. Is it better to go for all new 4 tires or just 2 at the front ? I am not keen on changing all 4 tires because I am planning to dispose off my SX4 Zxi (2007 make) soon and go for a compact SUV. Is it worth buying all 4 new tires and will it increase resale value?

In breif, a single used tire of the same make vs 2 new tires of the different make at the front vs all new tires for a soon to be sold car?
The point is if I plan to keep my car for few more years, I will definitely go for new Primary LCs with my eyes closed as my ride experience with them was awesome due to their soft nature.

I am confused, please suggest!

If you plan to sell your car, then buy a single used tyre.

Just make sure that the brand, variant and size are exactly the same.
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 17:07   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
That is wrong. Goodyear is doing well. Yes, they are a bit low profile as a brand but it's nonsense what your dealer is telling you. Probably he isnt getting much margin on the GYs or he doesnt have stock of it and is giving some gyaan to convert you.
Thanks Nikhil. Much obliged. I will stick to the GY's.
Just for my info, what about the Pirelli P7's? Worth the extra money or not?

I can now wait for a month as we are leaving town and none of the tyres were available off the shelf today.

Regards,
SS
Old 28th October 2014, 11:54   #199
BHPian

Finally got two tires of Goodyear assurance mount on front wheel. Ashka wheels (minister road) charged a reasonable amount of Rs.5500 per piece. The remaining 2 old michalins remain at the back. Guys over there told me that i can run for another 10k with the old tires, after which I can buy 2 more GY.
Old 19th November 2014, 22:13   #200
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I need to change all 4 tyres (possibly the 5th one too) of my SX4 VDi (195/65-15), I am getting Ceat Gripp LN for 4250\- per tyre. I didn't find much reviews/feedback about this so asking here.

My majority of the running is in city with once a month on highways with speed not exceeding 100-110 kmph.

My budget is anything upto 5000\- per tyre so any other recommendations are welcomed. I am based out of NOIDA would request Delhi NCR guys who can suggest/recommend dealers with competitive pricing
Old 26th November 2014, 18:25   #201
BHPian

I bought Falcons for my aging SX4 tyres. Paid 6500 per peice. Had to change all because they clocked 57 K
Old 29th November 2014, 09:08   #202
BHPian

Goodyear Assurance is now available for INR 4,600/- with a 2 year warranty.
Old 29th November 2014, 10:55   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Is this price for the 16 / 205 for the SX 4 ZXI or the 15/ 195 for the VXI. If these prces are for the 16 inch thenit is a steal.

I have used Goodyear Assurance for little over a year and done approx 15 K Km on them including a trip to Ladakh. Very satisfied with them.
Old 29th November 2014, 12:57   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Is this price for the 16 / 205 for the SX 4 ZXI or the 15/ 195 for the VXI. If these prces are for the 16 inch thenit is a steal.

I have used Goodyear Assurance for little over a year and done approx 15 K Km on them including a trip to Ladakh. Very satisfied with them.

Its for the ZXI/ZDI variant, size: 205 / 60 R16

I lost one of my tires (Goodyear Assurance) to a minor accident. Got to know about the price reduction while buying a replacement.
Old 30th November 2014, 09:48   #205
BHPian

Hi Guys,

After a minor accident on the highway yesterday where I burst both the left side tyres (JK) of my SX4 after hitting a sharp stone, I fitted Apollo Alnac 4G. Cost was Rs. 6500.00 per tyre. Additional Rs. 500 for alignment and balancing. He was not interested in any buy back for the old JK's (the good ones).
The reason I went for the Apollo's was because this happened on the highway and the only tyres I could find in Belgaum in the SX4 Zxi size (205x60x16) were the Apollo's. Also, the owner of the shop (Mega Tyres) was kind enough to bring one tyre to me and later helped with getting me to his shop for the others.
He did have the Yoko's ES350 (I think) but cost was Rs. 8500 each.

No other shop in Belgaum was interested to help at 8am on a Saturday morning.
Anyway, initial feeling is that the grip and ride quality is much, much better than the old JK's. Road noise is also much reduced.
All in all I am happy with the purchase so far. Have already clocked 500 Kms on day one.
Apollo are also offering a one year free 24/7 road side assistance all over India (except North East) with these tyres.
My mobile number and vehicle number have been entered in their system and supposedly if I have a similar problem, I have to call their helpline from the registered mobile and they will come to the vehicle wherever it is and fix the problem.

Regards,
SS
Old 7th May 2015, 23:39   #206
BHPian

Guys, need a favor. I am thinking of changing the tires on my 2010 model SX4 - 35K kms on them.

Which one of these would you prefer - ( cheaper the better ) -

Goodyear Assurance - 4511 * 4 = 18044
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/good...umbLabelId:335

JK Vektra - 5600 *4 = 22400
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/jk-t...umbLabelId:335

Bridgestone - 7638 *4 = 30552
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/brid...umbLabelId:335
Old 7th May 2015, 23:42   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Per Snapdeal, the warranty states 5 years ... ?!!

Old 8th May 2015, 10:41   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post

It used to be 2 years, but has been increased to 5 years - As per Jitesh from BK Tyres, Lajpat Nagar (I've bought my tyres from him)
Old 8th May 2015, 11:03   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need a favor. I am thinking of changing the tires on my 2010 model SX4 - 35K kms on them.

Out of these you can go with Goodyear Assurance.

Other options you have - Yokohama Earth 1, should be around 5k a piece.

Continental CC5 - Around 5200 a piece

Considering you want to keep your budget low, I would say Earth 1 is a good bet. I am using it on my Altis and pretty satisfied with them. On the other hand, I am using Michelin P3ST on my SX4, which is even better but cost around 5900 a piece. Have a review on the other thread, you can check it out.

So take your pick!
Old 8th May 2015, 12:37   #210
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

Go ahead with Goodyear Assurance. Mine have run around 24k km and have performed extremely well for the price.

Secondly, I've just installed Earth 1 on one of my other cars (10 days ago) and based on my limited driving (200kms) I can say that both the tyres offer very similar levels of performance.

Most Viewed