Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 14:42   #211
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Go ahead with Goodyear Assurance. Mine have run around 24k km and have performed extremely well for the price.

I completely agree on that statement, i have been using GY assurance for over a year and would definitely recommend it. It can be considered as a value for money.
Old 9th May 2015, 19:11   #212
BHPian

Update - Got the tires replaced with Goodyear Assurance
Cost - 4600/- after buy back
Additionally, Wheel Balancing + Alignment + Nitrogen Air Fill included in above cost.
Old 21st May 2015, 13:31   #213

Hi,

After reading above post I feel every reviewers are suggesting Goodyear Assurance for SX4 ZXI 205/60R16 tubeless but have few queries, please suggest.

I am based out of chandigarh. Bought my car in Dec 2009, but literally between June 2010 to June 2012 it was hardly used as I was posted somewhere else. Started using since 2012 onwards. My daily running is 20-25 KM with occasional weekend trip of 100 KM. After 23K KM and 5 years, two tires have bloated causing the car to bubble. 1 tire developed sidewall cracks because one unfortunate day after driving for 5 Km I realized it had a puncture.

Hence planning to buy 3 new tires. Factory fitted tires were JK Vectra Tubeless 205/60R16. After bloating experience do not plan to purchase the same.

My daily running would be as stated above only. However planning one trip to Leh in June with 4 passengers route Chandigarh-Srinagar-Leh-Rohtang-Manali-Chandigarh which will jump my speedo meter by 2000 KM in 9 days over rough terrain and wide temperature range.

I am a budget-conscious guy hence will not like to go overboard with cost of new tyres. Except for Leh trip it would be city driving only under 25 KM day. I am comfortable upto Rs 6000 per tyre range but if there are strong reasons can go marginally higher.

Following is the market price in Chandigarh for 205/60R16 Tubeless:

Goodyear Assurance - 4600-4800
MRF-5800-6000( 3year warranty)
JK Vectra-5000
Apollo-6000
Bridgestone-65000
Michellen-8600 (Too Costly)
Pirelli-8000(Too Costly)

Almost all shopkeepers have been pushing for MRF but online reviews at some other website are not very good for MRF tires. As per this thread Goodyear assurance is value for money, but shopkeepers say its ok but will make noise and if u have budget go for MRF. Plus I am worried will it hold for that one Leh trip without a puncture. As per manufactures survey on Team-BHP and some other websites Bridgestone has positive review.

1. Please recommend between MRF ,Bridgestone and Goodyear or any other in 6000 range

2. I use Nitrogen and have observed less noise and light steering and am satisfied with it.For the Leh trip should I continue using Nitrogen only if so ,since Nitrogen expands and contracts less than normal air should I maintain company recommended 33 PSI pressure only or less for the trip (4 passengers + Luggage)

Please answer both the queries.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st May 2015 at 13:46. Reason: Your post has been completely edited for punctuation and unwanted spacing. Please pay attention next time! Thanks!
Old 21st May 2015, 14:09   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippon View Post
Hi,

1. Please recommend between MRF ,Bridgestone and Goodyear or any other in 6000 range

2. I use Nitrogen and have observed less noise and light steering and am satisfied with it.For the Leh trip should I continue using Nitrogen only if so ,since Nitrogen expands and contracts less than normal air should I maintain company recommended 33 PSI pressure only or less for the trip (4 passengers + Luggage)

Sub 6000, Bridgestone will not fall. Wish I had a budget, and I would have gone ahead with Bridgestone only - the cost If I remember was around 8500-9000 or around.

For ZXI, 30/32 should be OK, it would eventually go on to a bigger number when hot. You'll experience less noise, vibrations and better road hugging drive as well(not the bouncy one)

All the best for the trip ! (carry a spare tube as well)
Old 21st May 2015, 15:11   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

1. I would suggest you should change all 5 tyres -
a. They are 6 years old.
b. Car was not used for 2 years, that means lot of cracks would occur and they are not good once the tyres heat up.
c. You will have peace of mind with all new tyres.

2. Goodyear assurance will do its duty well enough, so I suggest this.

3. I don't you would need to worry about JK tyre, since your vehicle was unused, so they have had issues. Otherwise they are decent tyres with long-life except for the noise that it makes on open stretches.

4. You can use normal air as well and keep it to 28-30 if 2 passengers or 30-32 if 4 passengers.
Old 21st May 2015, 16:37   #216

Thanks for prompt reply, for members using goodyear assurance any feedback on the tire noise?

Also ptaneja your tire recommendation plz
Old 30th May 2015, 18:11   #217
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Goodyear Assurance are really good. The only other tyres I have used on my SX 4 are the OEM JK Vectra. The Goodyears are quieter, offer better grip and lastly zero punctures in over 18000 KM of driving.
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:10   #218

Ok got goodyear assurance last weekend ,filled nitrogen ,this weekend did chd-del-chd 530 km seems ok except for tire noise
Old 2nd June 2015, 19:58   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok got goodyear assurance last weekend ,filled nitrogen ,this weekend did chd-del-chd 530 km seems ok except for tire noise
Hi Rippon,
Thanks for posting the update about tyre change.

How do you compare the tire noise with the noise made by stock tires?

Also, you may have noticed that the tires make more noise on concrete road and much less on the black tar road.
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:53   #220

Honestly Rahul I did not compare that much but initially. But, yes felt these new tires were making more noise than old JK Vectra tires.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2015 at 21:08. Reason: Formatted post and structure.
Old 4th June 2015, 15:26   #221
BHPian

JK Vectras are crappy set of tyres. I would really suggest everyone to get them replaced at the earliest. I keep mentioning on the forum about the importance of tyres. And I'll say it again - they are your only point of contact with Mother Earth!

Moving on, Goodyear tyres do the job just right. But don't expect low tyre noise with these. The rubber compound is quite hard, which is a good thing considering our road conditions but you end up sacrificing comfort and tyre noise increase as well.

Tons of options out there- Yokos, Michelins, Bridgestones, Apollos, Goodyears, MRFs; the list goes on and on. Each has its pros and cons, its just a personal preference at the end of the day.

If you are looking for low tyre noise, then check out Yokos/Michelins - they have a few models that give comfort top priority.

Last edited by Aston Singh : 4th June 2015 at 15:28.
Old 22nd June 2015, 03:22   #222

Ok guys with the new set of goodyear assurance 205/60R16 tires for my Maruti suzuki sx4 did chandigarh-srinagar-leh-pangong lake-khardungla-keylong-manali-chandigarh 2511 km trip.Used nitrogen and partially decreased the air pressure from recommended 33 psi on the journey srinagar onwards to Leh as with increase in altitude air expands further.People who know this route know how rocky ,sharp edged rock laden the entire route is.Satisfied to report that did not encounter any puncture throught the 8 day trip
Old 23rd June 2015, 14:28   #223

Spoke too soon, noticed a nail in one of the tires it was a puncture, called goodyear to validate 5 year warranty on wear and tear got a call back said punctures are not covered. Plus you should have a bill and warranty card plus tires should have been purchased from authorised dealer.
Old 31st July 2015, 13:17   #224
BHPian

Ok, i got Apollo Acelere for my Sx4, stock size, 2 months ago and heres what i think of them. I am comparing them to Goodyear Assurance, stock size, which my friend had put on his Sx4. Both Zxi variants. He has been using the tyres for more than 6 months now, and even had a 3k kms round trip on them. I have been mainly using them in the city, with very limited highway runs.

Btw stock JK Vectras were downright rubbish, i think we all will agree to that.

I was not in favour of going with yokos or michelin, only because they were pricier by 3k. So i just avoided them.

I had narrowed in on these two, and since i had driven on Goodyears on my friends car, i thought of trying the Apollos. (Though Goodyear appealed to me more).

How they faired ?. I will use those points first which matter to me the most. (Note: 90% of me drive in the city)

Noise : Both tyres are by a huge margin more silent than JKs. But the Goodyear is a little bit more silent than the Apollos i think.
Noise on the highway is what i cannot comment on right now, but i expect the GYs to be calmer.

Ride : Hands down the GYs. Much more cushy than the apollos, fairly noticeable because the sx4 does have a stiff ride.

Grip : I cant say much on this one, because how hard would you want to push the car. I can take a fairly large curve at 100 kms/hr and still cannot make out how better is one from the above. Wet cornering is what i havent done till now, guess in the dry, both are good.

Handling : This is again a dicey issue, but i prefer the Goodyears on this one.

All in all, since i have actually experienced both of them first hand, i would buy the Goodyears, rather than the Apollos, cos the tyres are softer and more comfortable. And softer compound will give me better grip definitely.
I think the differentiating point is the Tread Wear Rating on these tyres.
Apollos is 300 and the GYs is 240.(Lower the number, the more quickly it wears out). Remember the JKs are 480, which means they are super hard, which leads to all the noise.

Also the price of both these tyres are identical, so this factor can be ignored.
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 09:33   #225
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone update the current price of the Goodyear Assurance and best place to get them from? I was told 6.2k per tyre yesterday at Premji's in thane.

Most Viewed