Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 22:23   #151
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

If not replacing all 4 tyres, the better tyres should ALWAYS be on the back.

Here's why:
Old 11th April 2013, 07:43   #152
BHPian

Thanks dhanushs. Very useful tips. Will go for the front/read combo for now. and think will change all four when the rear tyres fade out and make the newest acquisition my spare at that time. Cheers
Old 18th April 2013, 06:52   #153
BHPian

I am planning to change my stock tyres(JK) on SX4 ZXi. I had inquired with dealers and the rates quoted are
- Michelin Primacy LC : Rs 9400
- Yoko ES501 : Rs 8900
- Bridgestone POTENZA G-III :Rs 9000

I would like to stretch for the Michelin's but getting very scared on the soft side walls. I stay in an area where roads are bad, uneven and bumpy on quite few stretches.
I mean if any of the tyres burst in just 6 months to a year, poof..10k gone in the air... I have heard even yoko's are of similar nature. I am just totally confused on whether to go from something harder like Apollo Acceleres or BS G3 or to go for Michelins..

Need advice on which is pratical option. The other query i had was is it mandatory to change the spare wheel too with the same brand.
Old 18th April 2013, 15:53   #154
BHPian

@askicode: If you are on a limited budget plus your spare tyre has enough tread left, I would say go for only 4 tyres. If the conditions are different and the dealer offers you the fifth tyres for, say 5,000 , then get all 5.
To be true, I am not a tyre guru, so would not be able to advise on the Yoko and BS, as I haven't driven on any.
Michelin, as I have on my Dzire, are made of fairly soft material and are prone to tyre cuts (sidewall cuts). I faced a problem when I got a set of 5 for my Dzire and ran along the side of a pointed stone, crashing my sidewall into it. The front tyre's sidewall was cut by the stone! BTW I got it replaced for free, the dealer being a known one.
Michelins, I have to say, are very comfortable. For eg.- You don't feel everything on the road, except the noise. You will even don't notice that you are running over pebbles, if you have rolled the windows up. The grip offered is sufficient for normal regular runs. I haven't tried hard cornering or high speed runs. The tyres feel sufficient for city usage.
I personally think Michelins would be okay, seeing the ride quality you will get on cemented roads.
Tyre Gurus will help.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 16:21   #155
Senior - BHPian

I recently got GIII Potenza, all four for my SX4, 8600 per tyre. The ride quaity has improved drastically and the noise level is very low now. I was using Apollo Aceler

It even worked wonderfully on slush and snow on our recent trip.
rkbharat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 10:14   #156
BHPian

Bridgestone has now stopped GIII Potenza for SX4. Currently GIII Potenza is available in 165/60R12, 165/60R13 & 175/60R13. All other sizes have been discontinued.

Currently only MY02 is available in the 205 60 R16 size

Below is the product feature for which I got on a query from Bridgestone Bangalore Office.

Product Feature

1. Aggressive tread pattern
While the LIGHTNING GROOVE tread pattern features an aggressive look, it also provides enhanced water drainage and traction for city driving.
2. Quiet performance
MY-02 is designed with 5 separate block pitches, which are arranged in a random sequence around the tire to significantly reduce noise.
3. FCP Wear control
The Flat Contact Patch (FCP) design holds the blocks flat against the
ground to limit side-slip and prevent irregular wear.

I have still to figure out whats the difference from the GIII.
The thread pattern is different in comparison to GIII
MY02

GIII Potenza

Last edited by askicode : 25th April 2013 at 10:17.
askicode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 10:22   #157
BHPian

tx for all the help guys. Car running perfectly now
Old 5th June 2013, 15:41   #158
BHPian

Hello Team,

My SX4 VDI has clocked 50k kms and the tyres are due for a change , the stock configuration is 195/65 R15 and have replaced the rims with 15inch 7J alloys .

What I noticed is that after the alloys being fitted the steering became a bit heavier as compared while running on the metal rims and also the surface area of the stock tyre on the alloys touching the road has increased a bit. By this I mean the tyre area in contact with the road has increased and am guessing this is due to the 7J alloys ... all is good so far except that I feel the engine may need to put in more efforts to move the car initially due to the increased surface area in contact with the road.

Now am thinking of replacing the stocks 195/65 R15 with 205/65 R15 and am wondering whether the increase in width would again impact the performance in any way ? and also whether this would impact the Steering feel once more ? more heavier ?

The reason for the 205 is that they are much broader and good to look at , mainly am thinking that they would be right replacemet for the 7J alloys ,

Do share your thoughts and feedback so that I could make a sensible decision on the size

Adding a Pic of the alloys for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SX4 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imag0507.jpg  

Old 5th June 2013, 16:07   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Hello Team,

My SX4 VDI has clocked 50k kms and the tyres are due for a change , the stock configuration is 195/65 R15 and have replaced the rims with 15inch 7J alloys .

What I noticed is that after the alloys being fitted the steering became a bit heavier as compared while running on the metal rims and also the surface area of the stock tyre on the alloys touching the road has increased a bit. By this I mean the tyre area in contact with the road has increased and am guessing this is due to the 7J alloys ... all is good so far except that I feel the engine may need to put in more efforts to move the car initially due to the increased surface area in contact with the road.

Now am thinking of replacing the stocks 195/65 R15 with 205/65 R15 and am wondering whether the increase in width would again impact the performance in any way ? and also whether this would impact the Steering feel once more ? more heavier ?

The reason for the 205 is that they are much broader and good to look at , mainly am thinking that they would be right replacemet for the 7J alloys ,

Do share your thoughts and feedback so that I could make a sensible decision on the size

Adding a Pic of the alloys for reference.
Hi Peter.
I think the 195 section tyres is the perfect combination for the SX4, but I'm not sure about the rim width. I think 7J is too much. With increase in surface area of the tyre, you will get better handling and braking. I don't think this would put a considerable stress in the engine. If you switch to 205 width tyres, then obviously the handling and braking with improve, but it will take a toll in various ways. The steering would be even harder to turn, plus the sidewall may scrape the wheel arches (though I feel SX4 wheel wells are very large). Have a look at Tyre size calculator-
Tyre size calculator

According to it, I feel 215/60R15 to be the best bet, considering you have 7J alloys.

BTW your's is one beautiful SX4!
Old 5th June 2013, 18:59   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Hi Peter.
I think the 195 section tyres is the perfect combination for the SX4, but I'm not sure about the rim width. I think 7J is too much. With increase in surface area of the tyre, you will get better handling and braking. I don't think this would put a considerable stress in the engine. If you switch to 205 width tyres, then obviously the handling and braking with improve, but it will take a toll in various ways. The steering would be even harder to turn, plus the sidewall may scrape the wheel arches (though I feel SX4 wheel wells are very large). Have a look at Tyre size calculator-
Tyre size calculator

According to it, I feel 215/60R15 to be the best bet, considering you have 7J alloys.

BTW your's is one beautiful SX4!
Thanks , Yes the handling and braking is awesome after fitting the alloys

I was skeptical on the upsize and your inputs clear the doubts to an extent

Cheers
Peter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:08   #161
BHPian

Team,

Have finalised the YOKOHAMA AVS DB as the new shoes for the SX4 , am being quoted 5800 Rs per tyre at Vashi Navi Mumbai , the manufacturing date on the tyres is week 21 year 2013.

With free wheel balancing and alignment !!

If anyone knows of a better deal then do let me know ,

Cheers

Peter
Old 5th September 2013, 07:27   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Team,

Have finalised the YOKOHAMA AVS DB as the new shoes for the SX4 , am being quoted 5800 Rs per tyre at Vashi Navi Mumbai , the manufacturing date on the tyres is week 21 year 2013.

With free wheel balancing and alignment !!

If anyone knows of a better deal then do let me know ,

Cheers

Peter
Hello Team,

Finally upgraded the SX4 tyres to YOKOHAMA AVS DB

The tyres costed me 5000 Rs each , dealer is based at Thane Mumbai
Old 6th September 2013, 18:22   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team,

Finally upgraded the SX4 tyres to YOKOHAMA AVS DB

The tyres costed me 5000 Rs each , dealer is based at Thane Mumbai
I am in the same boat.. My sx4 VD has crossed 57k on the stock apollos, though there is considerable life left I feel its the right time to change and upgrade. How's the performance with yoko? Yoko and Michelin PLC are the only two things that come to my mind. By the way, 5k for yoko is a good price I feel. What was the resale for the old set?
Old 6th September 2013, 19:04   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I recently got GIII Potenza, all four for my SX4, 8600 per tyre. The ride quaity has improved drastically and the noise level is very low now. I was using Apollo Aceler

It even worked wonderfully on slush and snow on our recent trip.
How is the noise now?
They turn extremely noisy after 15K kms,owing to their directional pattern.
@Adi 5K for Yoko DB must be 195/60/15

Last edited by akshay4587 : 6th September 2013 at 19:05.
Old 6th September 2013, 19:55   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
I am in the same boat.. My sx4 VD has crossed 57k on the stock apollos, though there is considerable life left I feel its the right time to change and upgrade. How's the performance with yoko? Yoko and Michelin PLC are the only two things that come to my mind. By the way, 5k for yoko is a good price I feel. What was the resale for the old set?
Vow .. and I thought it was just me who clocked 51k kms on the stock Apollos

The Yokos are 195/65/R15 AVS DB to be precise (Stock size for the SX4 VDI )
The price I got for the old tyres was 250Rs per tyre , hence the total came up to 20,000 Rs with free wheel balancing and alignment
The tyres are dated Week 21 year 2013 so they are fresh stock for sure
Got a quote for Rs 5800 per tyre from around 5 dealers in Navi Mumbai but finally cracked a deal for rs 5K per tyre via a close friend of mine

The drive is excellent , the tyres are very Quite and they seem to soak up the slight uneveness on the road surface with ease which the Apollos would otherwise transfer to the cabin.

The handling is also good , the steering feels a bit lighter to be honest ( As I have 7J alloys ) and could immediatley feel the difference.

Also the car feels more agile and the need to accelerate more is now less ... maybe because they are new rubber ? , wouldnt know !!

Wet road handling is yet to be checked but would surely say that the driving experience on the Yokos AVS DB's is a diff experience alltogether

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks