Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:37   #1
BHPian

Purchasing two new tyres should i install it in front or back

Guys,

I have purchased two new tyres for my sister's M800 as the back tyres were almost worn out. The front tyres were replaced 6 months back and it look as good as new.The tyre shop guy has adviced me to move the front tryes to the back axle and get the new tyres installed in front.But till now i belived the otherway around ..you should get it fixed in the back axle to reduce fishtailing.But he was so confident so i got it installed in front and got the alignment done. But still i'm not toatally convinced ..gurus please advice.

Last edited by BMW-X5 : 22nd October 2007 at 12:53.
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

I am no guru but what your tyre shop guy did is right.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:06   #3
BHPian

I am sure i read on some thread that the new tyres should go at the back and the old one's at front. Lemme search for that thread.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:30   #4
BHPian

Will be great if you can find that thread. I also "used to" strongly believe that the wheels that has no drive train control should get the better tyres. So the best tyres go to the rear of the FWD vehicles. But when I changed the tyres of my Esteem, I was "advised" the same -- new tyres go at the front. I was very confused, but then, on paper and on road are two completely different situations. So, will be great if you can find that thread.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

New tyres should go to the rear always irrespective of the drive train.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am always told that the front tyres wear out sooner than the rear ones, so if that is true then what your tyre dealer did is correct.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:43   #7
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Guys,

I have purchased two new tyres for my sister's M800 as the back tyres were almost worn out. The front tyres were replaced 6 months back and it look as good as new.
In this case there should be no problem in putting the new tyres to the front. Your existing front tyres have plenty of tread left and will not cause oversteer if moved to the back; in fact moving them to the back is almost like routine tyre rotation.

In the case when your front tyres are almost completely worn out and the rear tyres have about 50% or less tread left, then it is advised to move the rear tyres to the front and fit new tyres to the rear (basically to avoid oversteer, especially on wet roads). But when you have worn out tyres on the front wheels of a FWD, the car's braking and steering does become bad, at least according to my experience.

So it is best to rotate tyres regularly and change all 4 tyres in one go.

Last edited by rks : 22nd October 2007 at 15:45.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:48   #8
BHPian

New tyres should always go in the rear axle.
In case of emergency braking, negotiating sharp turns etc the slip from the rear wheels make the vehicle loose control.
We have steering to control front wheels but we have nothing to control rear wheels.

To have better control bikes have broader tyres at rear, some sports car also have broader tyres at rear.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I am always told that the front tyres wear out sooner than the rear ones, so if that is true then what your tyre dealer did is correct.
Even My tyre shop guy has told the same thing. I had to agree with him as i was not very sure about it. Though i was not convince as i still remeber some where i read that if you buy 2 tyres it should go to rear axile(It was very reliable source but i dont remember where it was). So i thought of leaving to our T-Bhp experts.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:03   #10
BANNED

For front wheel drive engines and that too when engine is at front, mounting a new tyres at front will do the justice.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:12   #11
BHPian

I think the new tyres shoud be used in the front wheels. But please check the alignment before and use the new ones. If the alignement is not correct then the new tyres will be damaged/worn out.

M800 is front wheel driven, with the new tyres on the front you get good grip. The front tyres will be worn out faster than the rear ones. So after some time all the tyres will be left with the similar amout of rubber.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
I am sure i read on some thread that the new tyres should go at the back and the old one's at front. Lemme search for that thread.
Its here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...0-tires-5.html
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post

Thanks man, this really helps.

I will ask them to move the new tyres to rear.
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Thanks man, this really helps.

I will ask them to move the new tyres to rear.
Why all the mehnat dude?6 month old tyres are almost new and what the tyre guy has done is right.In a front wheel driven car like the 800 which has pathetic brakes and discs in the front better tyres is always an advantage in the front.As 70 % of the braking is done by the front wheels read as disc brakes..!!
Assume that u have bald tyres in the 800 in the front and u brake hard they are just gonna lock without any grip and u r car will be inside some vehicle it should not have been had there been grippy tyres in the front.

In ur case its all the same now.Rotate the tyres how u would normally after 5000 km.

Last edited by humyum : 22nd October 2007 at 17:43.
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Brand new tyres shoudl go to front. even the posted link says the same check post # 64 & 65.

Basically the front wears faster than rear ones for reason already mentioned by other members.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks