Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2007, 11:49   #1
BHPian

Alloy and Tubeless tyre for Getz CRDI

Hi Folks,

I finally made up my mid to buy Getz CRDi .

Currently Getz CRDi it comes with 175/65 R14 steel rim.
Without changing the size, I would like to strap alloy wheel and Tubeless tyre on this.

Car dealer(in Bangalore) had Aura and some other Taiwan import brand.
My budget is 20-26 K for alloy and 5K for tyre(exchange offer).

Please suggest the specific model from Aura or suggest some alternative brand and place to buy it in Bangalore. Also suggest which tubeless is the good.

Help me out guys....

Anju
Old 25th October 2007, 13:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

I feel that Getz CRDi would need a minimum of 195/60-14 tyres.
Old 25th October 2007, 13:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
i second that. 175 is too little even for the 1.3 petrol getz.
Old 25th October 2007, 15:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
Hi Folks,

Car dealer(in Bangalore) had Aura and some other Taiwan import brand.
My budget is 20-26 K for alloy and 5K for tyre(exchange offer).

Please suggest the specific model from Aura or suggest some alternative brand and place to buy it in Bangalore. Also suggest which tubeless is the good.

Help me out guys....

Anju

do not buy the alloys and exchanged tyres from the car showroom itself.
buy from outside, but u need to exchange the tyres before they run 100kms. You can save money by buying 4 alloys only. keep the spare wheel. do not buy aura alloys, go for brands such as HR, league ,lenso. all are from Taiwan and pretty good. If u do not go for chrome finish, u can get other finishes such as hyper silver, at around 3800 a piece ,inclusive of all fittings such as chrome nuts,german chrome valves, if u bargain hard. go to shops on mission road for a good bargain. you can also have a look at the alloys at hot tracks residency road, but his prices are over the roof for the same products. The budget on the alloys will come around to 15000 for 4 alloys, but you need to raise the budget on tyres to atleast 12k after exchange to get good set of 4 tyres, go for michelin xm1 or yokohamas es 100. the alloy shops themselves give a good bargain on tyres. try that also.so when are you likely to get the delivery of the getz crdi. how much was it OTR bangalore. any freebies or discounts with the car yet..
Old 25th October 2007, 15:53   #5
rks
BANNED

Quote:
If the alloys chosen are wider than the stock rims, that would already give a wider contact patch when the stock-size tubeless tyres are fitted. Plus the tubeless tyres chosen should be of higher quality than the stock ones, again yielding additional grip.

For example, if stock steel rims are 5J (just guessing) then stock-size tubeless tyres mounted on 5.5J or 6J alloys will give a higher grip and better handling.

@Anju, the Michelin Energy XM1 is a recommended tyre; see

Michelin Australia

You can see that the minimum/optimal/maximum rim widths recommended for the stock size tyres are 5J/5.5J/6.5J respectively. So ideally 5.5J or 6J alloys would be fine if you plan to stick with stock size. If you plan to upsize, pick the recommended optimal rim width given in the above website.

As for choice of alloys, we do not know what the specifications of the stock rims are (offset, PCD). If Hyundai supplies alloys for the Getz Crdi, I would suggest that you go for those. If not, you can search the Aura alloys website:

http://www.auraalloywheels.com/

Neo alloys is also a good Indian brand:

Neo Wheels India

I do not know much about the foreign brands.

Last edited by rks : 25th October 2007 at 15:55.
Old 25th October 2007, 16:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
actually kp just saw your post again and the upsize youve given in wrong. the correct should be 195/50 r15.
Old 25th October 2007, 16:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
actually kp just saw your post again and the upsize youve given in wrong. the correct should be 195/50 r15.
How??

AFAIK the correct 14" upsize for 175/65-14 would be 195/60-14
Old 25th October 2007, 16:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How??

AFAIK the correct 14" upsize for 175/65-14 would be 195/60-14
aah. my bad. misread it as 15. what i posted is the correct size for 15.
Old 25th October 2007, 18:45   #9
BHPian

Oh thanks all of you for your expert opinions.

I thought of not changing the size(175/65 R14) because I felt anything else would penalise the ride quality that Getz offers.

I have a very poor knowledge on tyre/alloy/rim width how it affects performance/FE and ride quality.
One of BHP friend kpzen suggested to for 195/60 R14.

I would like to understandard from you experts.
If I choose 195/60 R14 said,
What I gain and what I loose ?
and can 185/XX R14 be a better option ?

Secondly thanks for Michelin XM1 suggestion and Neo wheel link(Aura link is not working). During next week's long weekend, I plan to visit to understand/feel Neo/aura alloys and tyres.

But I need to know,

Which is the tyre for "optimum rim width" I should choose from Michelin Link and which is the corresponding Neo alloy wheel which suits that tyre ?

Please help, I am confused.

FYI
OTR for Getz CRDi-6.6, delivery not clear (end of December or early Jan).They would come to know only in last week of Nov.
I am getting spolier as freebie, I bargained hard as I was waiting for this car from past 8 months.

Thanks
Anju
Old 25th October 2007, 20:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@Anju - The Getz is undertyred and to get the maximum benefit out of the engine it is advised to change the tyres to a wider size.
195/60R14 will help improve the braking of the Getz as well as the handling and looks.
This means that the car will not skid as much as it would on normal tyres, would look better and would be more stable at high speeds and would corner better as well.
Ride would not be affected too much if you get good tyres such as the Yokohama S drives or Michelin Energy XM1. Infact, it may improve depending on the tyre.
There will however, be a reduction in the FE of the car but however this reduction will not be much and will barely be 0.1kmpl or something similar.
Also, you should be able to get the whole deal in under 25K including tyres and good alloy wheels. Alloys should be approx 15K +-1.5K and the rest on tyres depending on how much you get for your current tyres and the brand of tyres you buy.

Last edited by lamborghini : 25th October 2007 at 20:34.
Old 25th October 2007, 21:27   #11
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Secondly thanks for Michelin XM1 suggestion and Neo wheel link(Aura link is not working). During next week's long weekend, I plan to visit to understand/feel Neo/aura alloys and tyres.

But I need to know,

Which is the tyre for "optimum rim width" I should choose from Michelin Link and which is the corresponding Neo alloy wheel which suits that tyre ?

Please help, I am confused.
First you have to fix the tyre size that you want. If you go for 195/60 R14 as suggested here, then you can see from the Michelin website that for this tyre size, the minimum rim width is 5.5 inches (which we denote as 5.5J), the optimal rim width is 6J and the maximum rim width is 7J. I suggest you go for 6J X 14" alloy wheels, meaning they will have the optimal width of 6" suggested by Michelin for this tyre size, and 14" diameter. There are other technical specifications that you have to worry about when choosing aftermarket alloy wheels, namely the wheel offset and the pitch circle diameter (PCD). The offset of the alloy wheels should be close to that of the stock wheel's offset (within 10 mm) and the PCD should match that of the stock wheel. I suggest you read this website carefully to familiarize yourself with these terms:

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2

If you choose 6J alloys, then if you want to go back to the stock size tyres, there is no problem, as you will still have a rim width that is close to optimal.

Make sure that after the alloy wheels are fitted, you check that there is no fouling problem, i.e., the wheels/tyres should not touch the car's wheel arch or anywhere else upon turning the car or driving on rough roads. The correct wheel offset is important in this respect; low offset will make the wheel jut out of the wheel arch and may cause a fouling problem upon turning. Too high an offset means that the wheel will go in too much into the wheel arch and the wheel/tyre may foul with suspension/steering components. Incorrect offset can also cause high speed vibrations in the steering or the wheels, and may cause premature wear of wheel bearings and/or steering/suspension components. All this is explained in the above website.

If you want to be safe, you can go for the alloy wheels recommended by Hyundai, which may be more costly. But then you may not be able to upsize the tyres if these alloys are only 5J width (you need at least 5.5J to go to 195/60 R14 tyres).

Last edited by rks : 25th October 2007 at 21:29.
Old 25th October 2007, 22:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh thanks all of you for your expert opinions.

I thought of not changing the size(175/65 R14) because I felt anything else would penalise the ride quality that Getz offers.
No, infact the ride quality would only improve.
195/60-14 would have more sidewall rubber than 175/65-14

Quote:
I would like to understandard from you experts.
If I choose 195/60 R14 said,
What I gain and what I loose ?
With 195/60-14 the grip, braking and ride quality will improve what more can v ask for?
FE could be down marginally but i dont think its gonna matter much when u have efficient CRDi mill.

Quote:
6j would be the optimum width for 195/60-14 tyre.
Old 25th October 2007, 22:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have Getz Prime 1.3 GLX with the same tyre profile. The rim size of mu stock alloys is 5.5 J. I intend to upsize my tire from 175/60-14 and this thread is useful for me as well.
What I had in mind for upsize was 185/60-14. The steering is pretty hard in slow speed and I do not want to make it worse. Should I go for 195/60-14 tyre?
Akshay, what was your experience after upsize?
Old 25th October 2007, 22:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have bought a Getz 1.3L GLS i am planning to upgrade to 15'inchers Lenso NX series with 195/50/R15.is that the correct upsize and will the ride be affected alot with this wheel size or grind to the wheel arc???? can i go till 16inchers???

mods,I am sorry if i jacked the thread.

cheers Ramie
Old 25th October 2007, 22:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Anju,
Michelin Energy XM1 is a good tyre.It is silent and gives good balance of ride/ handling. I intend to go for the same.

Yout rim width must be 5.5J as we share the same tyre profile.

Getz CRDI rocks. I waited long for diesel getz and I feel jealous. I am sure you will enjoy the power.You cannot fit ABS, but try to get discs for all the brakes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks