Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

50K for stock alloy is quite expensive! You can go for after market alloy.

Please check the alloy section. May be a post/search there will give you better idea!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...heels-181.html
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:03   #17
BHPian

check out some Konigs.. itll be way cheaper and better looking!

Last edited by wildchild4lyfe : 2nd February 2010 at 13:05.
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanandmsv View Post
I have a 2 year old Corolla HE and would like to spice it up alloys.

My budgest is Rs.20k.

Can someone suggest some reliable places in chennai to buy alloys? I don't have much clue about the right alloys for my car. What are things should I be careful about?

Toyota alloys for the same car will cost me Rs.50k is what Lanson says, is it really worth paying that much for stock alloys?
The Corolla's stock alloys are 100 PCD and 15 inchers. I am sure you can never run short of choices with this size and PCD.
I would say hunt around in the market for alloys. Spend enough time checking out different brands and only then take the plunge.
With a budget of 20k you sure can pick up 4 alloys from any of the other brands. To name a few Lenso, Konigg, HR,League,K-Speed, EVO et all.
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:44   #19
Nan

Are alloys not standard on Corolla?
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:33   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Are alloys not standard on Corolla?
At one time not so long ago, they were not.

Also, we seem to be leaving out good 'desi' brands like Neo from the discussions. Also, I am all for changing all five wheels (Honda re you listening!).
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:24   #21

Busy days at work put off my car revamp plans for long. But am back now and this time with some extra cash in hand. Moreover, my car has done 32k kms now and its anyway time to change the tyres.

My Concerns:
1) Up-size alloy/tries will bring down power steering performance
2) Up-sizing will make ride more bumpy
3) Up-sizing causes more tyre noise
3) Up-sizing will lead to faster wearing of discs/pads and affects ABS performance

My priorities:
1) Ride Quality/Comfort over some really bad city roads in my locality (cheap real estate prices got me move in to places where tar is yet to be introduced)
2) I enjoy my Corolla's power steering and I don't want new alloy/tyre set to bring it down even one bit
3) I am happy with my 10.8kms/litre mileage and don't want it to drop with the new set of alloy/tyres.
4) Looks are the least priority, just nice to have. You can anyway not take away a taxi/family-man car stamp out of a Corolla

I have zero'd in on:
Samurai Lenso 16" Alloy at Rs. 29000 for a set of 4.
Michelin 205/55/R16 Tyres at Rs. 30,000

From the other threads I can figure that 16" is the right size to go for a Corolla but expecting BHPians to comment on my concerns and priorities.

Other option for me is to leave the R15 rims intact and just change a new set of OEM 195/60/15 as suggested by Lanson Toyota.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend of mine bought a preowned Corolla H5 (2008) done 22,000kms last month.

He changed the tyres immediately after buying to Goodyear ( 4600/tyre) on stock rims as he didnt want to spend exorbitant money on tyres since he got a quote of Rs.6600 for Michelins.

I drive his car regularly and found the tyres to be decent with good grip and reduced road noise.
Old 5th December 2010, 19:47   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanandmsv View Post
Busy days at work put off my car revamp plans for long. But am back now and this time with some extra cash in hand. Moreover, my car has done 32k kms now and its anyway time to change the tyres.

My Concerns:
1) Up-size alloy/tries will bring down power steering performance
2) Up-sizing will make ride more bumpy
3) Up-sizing causes more tyre noise
3) Up-sizing will lead to faster wearing of discs/pads and affects ABS performance

My priorities:
1) Ride Quality/Comfort over some really bad city roads in my locality (cheap real estate prices got me move in to places where tar is yet to be introduced)
2) I enjoy my Corolla's power steering and I don't want new alloy/tyre set to bring it down even one bit
3) I am happy with my 10.8kms/litre mileage and don't want it to drop with the new set of alloy/tyres.
4) Looks are the least priority, just nice to have. You can anyway not take away a taxi/family-man car stamp out of a Corolla

I have zero'd in on:
Samurai Lenso 16" Alloy at Rs. 29000 for a set of 4.
Michelin 205/55/R16 Tyres at Rs. 30,000

From the other threads I can figure that 16" is the right size to go for a Corolla but expecting BHPians to comment on my concerns and priorities.

Other option for me is to leave the R15 rims intact and just change a new set of OEM 195/60/15 as suggested by Lanson Toyota.
I suggest you stick to 15" itself. Better ride quality and lesser risk of tyre damage due to the higher profile of the tyres.

Go in for Michelin Primacy LC in 195/60 R15. Very good tyres and very good ride comfort. Be wary over really bad and broken roads though....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks