Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 15:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crack on the sidewall of tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
It's not just bridgestone, any other branded tire also could crack if it takes a bad hit.
True. But I don't remember hitting them so badly. Moreover, there are 2 cracks diametrically opposite.

I have heard that some tire brands/variants use harder compound. That was why doubted the Potenzas. Does using softer compound translates to weaker sidewalls? I don't have much clue.

If at all I have to replace this one, I guess I will have to go for the same one or at least a set of 2 of a different make, for an axle? I want to stick with low cost harder tires. High speed rating/stability is not an issue as I am past that adrenaline high stage of life.
Old 6th September 2012, 10:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I had gone for a replacement of all 4 tires 15k kms before and the other 3 are fine.

The 2 cracks have developed almost diametrically opposite, so I guess that it could not be a case of the wheels hitting hard over a pothole.

Are Bridgestones prone to such cracks? I am beginning to loose confidence in them.
Nothing like that. All tyres will develop side wall cracks if driven over bad roads. My Fiesta had Bridgestone Potenza and drove over 40k kms without any problems. It's better to replace now.
Old 15th September 2012, 10:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thoma,

How old are these tires, age and kms ?
Old 15th September 2012, 13:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thoma,

How old are these tires, age and kms ?
I have changed all 4 tires 2 years and 5 months before and have clocked 15000 kms and have not rotated even once. 2 of them have 4809 numbered on them. The other 2 have their serial numbers etched on the in-side of the wheel and are not visible without removing the wheels.

Wear was negligible and uniform until recently where the out-side of the front wheels tend to wear more than the in-side. Rotation was on the cards from the last 2000 kms but was put off many times, as these being uni-directional, have to be removed from their wheels to enable proper tire rotation. We have half a km stretch of very bad road which we tread carefully. But I guess some protruding stones might have done the damage. Still it lefts me wondering how more than one crack occurred, and that too diametrically opposite. Might be timely rotation would also have avoided the issue, as I think that the 2 particular points were repeatedly stressed and gave in.
Old 18th September 2012, 23:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Checked up with the local Bridgestone authorized dealer and the mechanic was of the opinion that it is not much of an issue! Could have caused due to tire getting on rough stones and running on low pressure for long. I have repeatedly asked then why alone on that tire, the pressure is a bit lower than the others? No clear answers. He checked for punctures and couldn't find any. Boosted the pressure to 30 for all tires and sends me off. I am not fully satisfied. What I'll do is ride carefully on slow speeds for a week or two and check if the pressure on the affected tire has come down. By the way, I have discovered many more tiny cracks on the same tire.
Old 19th September 2012, 00:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Checked up with the local Bridgestone authorized dealer and the mechanic was of the opinion that it is not much of an issue! Could have caused due to tire getting on rough stones and running on low pressure for long. I have repeatedly asked then why alone on that tire, the pressure is a bit lower than the others? No clear answers. He checked for punctures and couldn't find any. Boosted the pressure to 30 for all tires and sends me off. I am not fully satisfied. What I'll do is ride carefully on slow speeds for a week or two and check if the pressure on the affected tire has come down. By the way, I have discovered many more tiny cracks on the same tire.
From the picture it is quite evident that the cracks are big enough to prove detrimental.It is absolute peril to drive with tyre in such condition.I too had similar scenario with my laura 3 months ago. And that too happened a week after renewing all 4 shoes to Michelin PLC. I took the tyre to the dealer from where I bought the tires who suggested me to get the hot patch done with a warranty of one year.I got the tires back in two days. Meanwhile I did a lot of googling to find out the actual remedy.Most of the guys were suggesting to replace the tyre and use the punctured one as spare.

Then this thought came into mind that eventhough the dealer is giving a warranty of one year for the puncture there is no guarantee that the tyre wont burst when you are hitting three digits or negotiating a sharp curve when the tire is quite vulnerable after the sidewall puncture.The very thought of devastating result made me buy a new tire.So I replaced the
tire with a new one,the punctured one being used as spare.The dealer was of the opinion that the patch is good enough to hold the tyre through its life and they have done it even for jaguars and bmws.But I didnt want to compromise on my Peace of mind while driving.

Hence IMHO it is always better to renew the tire than to have a crippled one.

Cheers
Sree
sree83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 11:09   #22
BHPian

Can we use a Protectant like the JopasuTrim N' Tire Protectant to avoid it..

http://www.jopasu.com/index.php/prod...category_id=18

Anybody tried this product or anything similar...
Old 20th December 2013, 08:35   #23
BHPian

Tyre Trouble

Hi again..
I have a pajero SFX 2009 model and upon delivery changed the stock MRF tyres with Michelin LTX AT. The car has clocked 42500Kms and tread is excellent but the sidewalls have developed shallow cracks, pictures attached.
I am on road from Chandigarh going to Goa. I am worried the tyres might Blast at high speed due to these cracks on the side walls. Prior commencing the journey the agency guys looked at it and dismissed any such worries.

Please advice.
Attached Images

joybird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 08:49   #24
BHPian

These tyres are more than eight years old and it might be wiser to change these tyres before you embark on such a long journey.. Did u check the inner sidewalls?
surgvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
Hi again..
I have a pajero SFX 2009 model and upon delivery changed the stock MRF tyres with Michelin LTX AT.
Even though car was bought in 2009, one of the tyre shows DOT code as 2505 which indicates tyre was manufactured in 25th week of '05. Is it same for other tyres too?

Over the period of time, tyre rubber has got hardened and has developed those sidewall cracks. Cracks would have also got compounded due under-inflation at times.

Please maintain appropriate tyre pressure (cold tyre pressure) during your journey and change tyres at earliest opportunity.
sukiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:45   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Agree to the earlier posts about the danger of taking a highway trip with a tyre this old.
However the cracks on sidewall looks due under inflation.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:55   #27
BHPian

The tyres are quite old in terms of age and I think they have lived their lives. I would suggest that you change the tyres. Being a SUV handling would be different and you really do not know about the road conditions from Chandigarh to Goa. So please change the tyres and carry on with your journey in a relaxed manner. Best of Luck
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 12:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Agree with sukiwa.

Please change them at the earliest. Not recommended to use tyres in that state on any car. Let alone a tall, heavy and fast SUV.

Moreover, 40K is good mileage for any tyre.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 17:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crack on the sidewall of Tyre

I think you've already committed a mistake of buying a 4 year old tyre in 2009 so please change them at the earliest possible. Its very risky continuing with any tyre over an age of 5 years, especially when sidewalls have started developing cracks and you are planning for long road trips.

Drive safe!
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 18:48   #30
BHPian

Thanks everyone.
As mentioned in my post with the pictures I am more than half way to Goa from Chandigarh. I did got the Pajero jacked up and did a good inspection prior the trip at agency in Chandigarh. That time my concerns were dismissed by the staff about the cracks.
When in 2009 I replaced the stock MRF tyres with present Michelin AT I was not aware of the manufacturing date of the tyres nor the dealer told me about it.
I plan to replace the tyres in Pune. Will be arriving tonight late and stopping for the night.
Will continue to Goa after change of tyres. Look for Michelin dealer in June tomorrow first thing in the morning
joybird is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks