Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2007, 03:33   #1

Tire burst & Irresponsible Bridgestone Attitude

Team:

Please read the below communique. I am planning to move consumer court. Could anyone help me on what else to do? Can I claim Insurance?

I cant get over the shock that a world renowned tire manufacturer is so insensitive and irresponsible in the event of a genuine mishap.

Regards,
Manu

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:02 AM
To: 'consumerhelp@sify.com'
Cc: 'hyderabad@bridgestone.co.in''; 'customer-care@bridgestone.co.in'; 'surekaauto@gmail.com'; 'harish-kumar@bridgestone.co.in'
Subject: RE: Request for Replacement of New Bridgestone Potenza

Please see the below complaint to Bridgestone tire manufacturing company. Two tires on my new car burst simultaneously going over rubble completely after running for only 900+ kms. This is unheard of and clearly is a result of faulty tires as there are no other damage to any part of the car.

I have not received any communication on email as over 12 days have passed after reporting the complaint as reply to this mail and the Hyderabad office after an inspection refused to replace the tires - without replying formally to me - and I had to buy new tires to get my car on road. Their engineer kept telling that "I understand this is not your fault and it is inexplicable that both the tires burst at the same time".

I would like to take legal action against Bridgestone India in this regard with the highest penalty possible for the company as this involves personal safety and the company has been extremely callous in its approach to a genuine complaint.

My contact number is 9885315121. Please let me know how to initiate action and what I need to do in this regard.

Regards,
Manu.

Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 11:56 AM
To: 'hyderabad@bridgestone.co.in'; 'customer-care@bridgestone.co.in'
Subject: Request for Replacement of New Bridgestone Potenza

Hi:

My name is Manu and I am reporting a mishap that happened with the Bridgestone Potenza 195/60 that I have on my Mitsubishi Cedia Select. I bought my car a month ago and it has run only around 940 kms so far.

Last night around 9.50 pm I ran over rubble on the road (this was left on the road from the costruction that was going on). I was driving at around 30 – 40 km as I was negotiating a turn. The rubbe was around 4” – 5” square.

As I ran over the rubble, both my right hand side tyres burst.

I think this is highly unlikely for a tire that has hardly done 2 – 3% of its life span. I spoke to the Hyderabad office today and they have assured me of a technical inspection and a potential replacement after investigation.

I would request you to take this up with utmost seriousness – I will not hesitate to go to any extent to get this resolved. It is extremely disappointing to experience this as it directly has an impact on my personal safety as well as the quality of the product

Manu.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th November 2007 at 06:09. Reason: [tags] removed
Old 18th November 2007, 09:01   #2
BHPian

Did you try any other mode of communication with the Customercare? I mean anything except mailing, Did you call, If not please try to call them and and send/forward the same email to somebody's personal Id in customer support.

whatever happened should not have happened with new tyres. I hope you get justice.
Old 18th November 2007, 09:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuscript View Post
Team:
Last night around 9.50 pm I ran over rubble on the road (this was left on the road from the costruction that was going on). I was driving at around 30 – 40 km as I was negotiating a turn. The rubbe was around 4” – 5” square.

As I ran over the rubble, both my right hand side tyres burst.

Manu.
Just like the judge, lawyers and Bridgestone, I have no way of knowing what caused the punctures. I need evidence. No tyre warranty covers damage from road hazzards unless specifically stated and this is usually a separate written service agreement. You have not proved beyond a doubt that the punctures were the result of poor tyres. On the contrary, you have provided evidence that it was the condition of the road, the rubble, not the condition of the tyres that is the proximal cause of the punctures.

I am sorry but I agree with Bridgestone. It is not their fault.
Old 18th November 2007, 09:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Inclined to think the same, though no firm opinion.

Tire companies insensitive? Well... I've been in a business meeting where the insurer's claims manager, for a tire company, stated that he hoped one casualty from an accident where the tire company admitted liability for a blowout, would die --- as otherwise the company could be making large payouts for the rest of his life. Insurers usually prefer death to disability.

Yes; business is insensitive.
Old 18th November 2007, 14:57   #5
BHPian

Is it possible for you to post pics of subjected tyres..
Old 18th November 2007, 23:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Both the right hand side tires, eh, intresting... May be there was left over tools on the road (like a pick axe or a sharp object) and you would have unknowingly run over it.
Old 19th November 2007, 00:17   #7
BHPian

you have to prove the court that the tire burst because of poor quality.Otherwise it is very difficult for you to get justice.
Old 19th November 2007, 00:18   #8
BHPian

AFAIK these bursts, cuts etc are not covered under warranty but try calling their Head office ,speak to the right person , tell him in detail and who knows that could work in your favour ....

P.S. In my case(a bit different from yours) ,when the guys from Michelin came and inspectd the tyres they refused to give a replacement ... I had a looong discussion/argument on phone with one of the senior guys ,tried to remind him the value of a customer satisfaction etc etc ,made him understood the situation i am in and he agreed to give me a replacement ...
Old 19th November 2007, 06:16   #9
BHPian

cant believe your g 3 s burst at 40 KMPH???????

thats impossible unless some major manufacturing flaw

severe tire pressure errors

or more probable you ran over loose tools or something
sue the government!! hehe not worth it

did you go over hot tar?

man what pressures were you running?had you recently checked it?

what rims you using?

were your tire rim package correct?

also give us a hi resolution picture of your sidewall: please

tire production dates/ etc

hope all your tires were of the same batch

would love to see you follow this thru

cheers man
keep your chin up

peace

cy
Old 19th November 2007, 06:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Inclined to think the same, though no firm opinion.

Tire companies insensitive? Well... I've been in a business meeting where the insurer's claims manager, for a tire company, stated that he hoped one casualty from an accident where the tire company admitted liability for a blowout, would die --- as otherwise the company could be making large payouts for the rest of his life. Insurers usually prefer death to disability.

Yes; business is insensitive.

wow man
thats heavy!!!!!

please and pretty please do tell us which tire company this is

i say it has to be indian

cheers man

cy
Old 19th November 2007, 10:43   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry... couldn't do that. Not even a clue --- and my nationality gives nothing away; international company, international insurer.

I think what I said would be common to the attitude of most insurers; they spend more time looking at how much stuff is going to cost them than considering the personal tragedies.

Well... I suppose that, if it were otherwise, they'd just go out there and give the money away! Most of us would make lousy claims managers!
Old 19th November 2007, 11:11   #12
BHPian

I'm inclined to agree with Dan and Thad - you have pointed to evidence that the tyre burst could have actually been caused by road conditions (rubble, construction site and late at night (perhaps bad visibility)) rather than faulty tyres.

This reminds me of a particular stretch on the Bom-Pune Expressway where they were supposed to fix the steel guard railing at the side of the road. For more than a year, the work was not done and there were 4" bolts sticking vertically out of the ground. Any car going over that would have both tyres, on the same side, punctured in an instant.

Having said that, Bridgestone should have at least replied to your mail.
Old 19th November 2007, 11:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post
thats heavy!!!!!

please and pretty please do tell us which tire company this is

i say it has to be indian

Insurance companies are the same everywhere, that's how their business runs, and india is a lot better, if you dig into the insurance business in the US , you will be amazed on how they rip off consumers and get away with it and in some sectors even are responsible for the customer's death just to maximize profits.
Old 19th November 2007, 11:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

@ Thad

I would strongly reccomend you taking up the case with HM (car manufacturers) as also pursuing with the tyre company. I had my NCT 3's replaced after 12000 or 15000 kms (dont remember exactly) on the odo of my Octavia as they had developed uneven wear.
The tryes were replaced & I had to pay a part cost towards useage (which was fair) but in your case I think the Car Company / Tyre Company will surely replace your blown tyres as your car has just 940 kms on the odo.

As an added measure make a record of all communication with the company & tell them you may approach automotive magazines as well as newspapers with the story (which can be substantiated with the hard copies of communications). I have had first hand experiance of such matters, believe me it works.

Hope you get a resolution soon.

Rgds
Old 19th November 2007, 11:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Opps thats scarry incident!

Hearing of such a incident for the first time? dont know what went wrong?

In my recent trip had to go through a stretch of about 250kms+ of "HORRIBLE" road and "Bridgestone Turanza's" handeled the bad roads very well!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks