Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 11th September 2018, 03:21   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Cold weather tyres in India?

As the last days of summer are approaching, I am bumping this thread again for visibility, in case anyone has updates on availability of winter tyres in (North) India.

This winter, I will be shifting locations within Himachal from 7500 ft to 8000 ft, but now I have a very steep 3 km climb ahead from a normal grade village road to reach home, and the extra 500 ft elevation entails another foot or two of snow usually in the winters. If the snowfall exceeds a foot, then the PWD clears the road as much as they can within a weeks time, if its lower than a foot, then they don't. A normal winter has 5-6 snowfalls, with the snow sticking to the ground for a week each time, and black ice gradually builds up with each snowfall. I estimate at least 8 weeks of ice/snow coverage on the road, if not a few weeks more.

So far in the winter, my 2012 Thar has been just about fine with 4H/4L modes, a rear diff locker and some basic nylon and metal snow chains if required, I luckily managed to get some Korean made Hankook Dynapro HL RA25 tyres, and their snow performance has been great (much better than my previous Continental Cross Contact AT), but won't be enough for the steep gradients at my new location.

So, this winter, I fear I must up my tyre game and am trying to source some winter tyres. I plan to use these tyres on the Thar only from Jan - March when its close to or below freezing with visible snow on the ground.

None of the tyre majors India specific websites seem to list any winter tyres. Shinco Auto Tyres in Ludhiana apparently make some, but they don't have sizing for the Thar.

I welcome our experienced BHPians to share their knowledge on this!
Old 29th December 2019, 03:50   #17
BHPian

Could someone please enlighten me on what are the suitable cold weather tyres for Alto K10 (155/65 R13)? I'm not able to get much on the Internet so far. Apparently there is Apollo Accelere Winter and Bridgestone B290, but I'm not totally sure. Some light will be much appreciated
Old 4th May 2020, 03:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

I was watching this YouTube video here. Can someone explain what type of tyres are suitable for this type of icy conditions?

Old 4th May 2020, 06:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
bump! with the winter approaching, could someone list a few places which stock winter tyres in north india?
Pretty Sure, they arent available in India.
Use chains instead, they are available all over.
And it's June, it's going to be a while before winters start setting in.
Old 4th May 2020, 11:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I was watching this YouTube video here. Can someone explain what type of tyres are suitable for this type of icy conditions?
Tyres for snow will have studs or spikes. Snow chains are the best option, though in a bind, you can adjust with jute rope. Avoid the plastic ropes as they tend to skid unless you know how to handle them

Most Viewed