Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 12:45   #1
BHPian

Cold weather tyres in India?

Just wondering how people manage to drive around the hills stations etc. in winter without 4wd. Surely there is a lot of sliding around on the ice and snow if the cars are not fitted with proper winter tyres. Can someone please explain this to me?
Old 21st November 2007, 13:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Most people in India are not even aware that there are different types of tyres for different types of terrain. They just look at the life of the tyre, just like milage kitna hai.

You should have seen the blank looks I got when I was looking to change my highway all season tyres to all-terrain tyres.
Old 21st November 2007, 13:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Most people in India are not even aware that there are different types of tyres for different types of terrain. They just look at the life of the tyre
Absolutely right. Most people who buy vehicles does not know what type of tyres has to be used at what time and they do not even know the basics of how to maintain the tyres leave alone the "different season tyres".
Old 21st November 2007, 14:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should have seen the blank looks I got when I was looking to change my highway all season tyres to all-terrain tyres.
Yeah.. u should watch the TG episode - the one with the the Arctic race - to understand the importance of having the right tyre for the terrain.. It was a treat to watch JC smash thru the icy terrain on his way to the north pole.
Old 26th November 2007, 03:19   #5
BHPian

Just to be clear, there are specific winter compound tyres designed to excel on snow and/or ice, depending oh how specialized these are. On snow and ice these tyres will outperform the so called "all terrain tyres".

For example, Pirelli's Scorpion A/T and Scorpion ATR are all terrain tires, but they are NOT winter compound, even though they can passably serve on snow and ice. TO get a winter compound, you have to buy the model called "Scorpion Ice & Snow" .

All terrain tyres certainly get by on snow, but unless they are made of winter compound with proper siping, they will not get near the performance of true winter compound tyres. BUt winter compound tires cannot be used in warm weather. They get abraded and worn out extremely fast in warm weather.

But most tarmac bound cars don't need all terrain tires, even for snow and ice. just regular winter tires will do though I can't imagine where in India you would need those unless you live somewhere in the snowy mountain areas.

I had a 1997 Mazda MX-5 with torsen limited slip differential and Bridstone Blizzak WS-50 winter tyres, and it was just brilliant in the very deep snow. It could be driven with the control and precision of a rally car in deep snow, with the yaw microscopically controllable with the throttle.

Another MX-5 I had that did not have torsen and had aggressive camber set up wasn't quite so amazing on the same tires, but still extremely safe and controllable.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2007, 15:26   #6
BHPian

Dunlop Graspic HS3 and Falken Espia O2

I was tire hunting today for new tires for my Wagon R when I came across this shop with 2 tires which would fit my Wagon R

Dunlop Graspic HS3
of 155/65/R13

and

Falken Espia 155/65/R13

Both were the winter studless tires, both "Made in Japan."

Q - Can these (Winter/snow) be used for normal regular use, mostly city driving with 20% rural roads?

I also saw some Yokos (Ice Guard), but they were 70 aspect ratio, so I did not look them over.

Last edited by johy : 26th November 2007 at 15:30.
Old 26th November 2007, 15:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
But most tarmac bound cars don't need all terrain tires, even for snow and ice. just regular winter tires will do though I can't imagine where in India you would need those unless you live somewhere in the snowy mountain areas.
I would have preferred to have all-terrain tyres when I did this: Video

Last edited by Samurai : 26th November 2007 at 15:35.
Old 26th November 2007, 15:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I was tire hunting today for new tires for my Wagon R when I came across this shop with 2 tires which would fit my Wagon R

Dunlop Graspic HS3
of 155/65/R13

and

Falken Espia 155/65/R13

Both were the winter studless tires, both "Made in Japan."

Q - Can these (Winter/snow) be used for normal regular use, mostly city driving with 20% rural roads?

I also saw some Yokos (Ice Guard), but they were 70 aspect ratio, so I did not look them over.
If you do not encounter ice and snow on a somewhat regular basis, I do not advocate winter tyres, though the Graspic is fairly good (though not the best) winter tire.

Winter tyres are definitely not suited to temperatures much above 10°C. On dry tarmac, winter tyres exhibit increased noise and considerably poorer stability, cornering performance and braking. Additionally, at higher temperatures (much above 10°C), winter tyres will perform very poorly as their rubber compound, designed to be soft and pliant at very low temperatures, turns excessively soft.

Winter tyres are CERTAINLY NOT suitable for siliguri summers. Winters, they are ok. If you encounter snow and ice, they will be fantastic. I have a spare set of rims for my MX-5s that have Bridgestone Blizzaks on them. In the winter, if I expect the car to be in New York or other snowy climes, I put exchange the wheels and voila, I am set for the winter. lots of people do that. If you cannot swap back and forth, I advise seriously against winter tyres because they will get destroyed by your summer conditions.

Good luck!
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2007, 15:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I would have preferred to have all-terrain tyres when I did this: Video
yes indeed! I am a big believer in having the right shoes for the job.
Old 26th November 2007, 17:42   #10
BHPian

Thanks for your advice harbir. I will be back looking for some all-season; performance tires.

- johy
Old 15th March 2010, 22:13   #11
BHPian

Hey there
Read the informative posts. Just one query! I have Sx4 with the JK stock tires fitted. I think it is 205/55/R16. when it is said India is a tropical country where hot summers are the the rule almost anywhere. So, all terrain or normal tyres are best suited for our condition, unless one decides to go somwhere up in the montains and snow. I stay in delhi and keep going to the snowy areas. The query is can I put snow tyres only in the drive wheel (front wheels) and leave the rear wheels with the stock tires. Will it make the difference? I also own a maruti van with the normal tyres, and needless to say, whenever I visited up in the mountains where there is snow my tires would simply loose traction. A nightmare for driver
Old 17th March 2010, 13:29   #12
BHPian

people do install snow tyres only on the driven wheels and leave the other wheels with all season tyres. people who do it will advise that its ok to do it, but I do not because you create unbalanced grip characteristics. If you are in snowy or icy conditions, and you have snow tyres only on the front wheels, it will be alright for getting moving (accelerating), but you will have inadequate grip at the rear. this may not matter 99% of the time, but you will be running the risk unstable cornering and braking behavior.

Imagine that it is snowy. you take a turn. the front tyres bite into the snow and turn the front of the car, but the rears do not. result, the back end of the car does not follow the front, and instead goes straight while the front turns into the corner. result is a spin. at speed or on a mountain road, this could be lethal. Similar things can happen under braking. you brake, the front grips in the snow, the rear doesn't and continues to move forward. since the front is slowing, the rear of the car tries to overtake the front by causing the car to rotate, ie to spin.

In dry warm conditions, the opposite would happen, the car would be very understeery.

in summary, mixing winter and all season tyres is often done, but its not advisable. I would NEVER EVER do it on my car.
Old 17th March 2010, 18:22   #13
Team-BHP Support

Contactgautam,

To add to what Harbir is saying, take a look at this link :

Where to install a new pair of tyres? Front or back?

(Just pretend that the "new" tyres are the snow tyres - ie better traction in those specific conditions)

cya
R
Old 17th March 2010, 23:40   #14
BHPian

Rehaan! The video in the link U sent me was an eye opener to me. I completely agree with Harbir as well. The car can go into a spin in snowy and icy driving condition with front tire getting a better traction then the rear ones especially while braking, But one question trouble me is that since we live in hot and dry weather condition (North India) driving in snow is not anybody gives a damn about. But as I keep going to the hills with snow, I always face the problems of my tires loosing traction in icy condition. Shall i put snow chain in the front tires (stock JK tires for my Sx4) in order to gain traction in my drive wheel. If I do so then I will be risking spin ina braking situation. Can U suggest a balanced approach to the above problem. U know to get back lost traction in icy condition wih no or minimum spin
Old 4th December 2014, 23:51   #15
BHPian

Re: Cold weather tyres in India?

bump! with the winter approaching, could someone list a few places which stock winter tyres in north india?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks