Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

View Poll Results: rims...which ones
indian 153 35.17%
imported 282 64.83%
Voters: 435. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2005, 23:56   #46
BHPian

go for imported one any day...I think the chance that rim would crack/etc are very remote. They have better quality and better designs to choose frm

However if u r the cautious kind then stick to Indian ones

My 2 cents

Last edited by vivek.singh.73 : 6th July 2005 at 00:08.
Old 13th July 2005, 16:15   #47
BHPian

Enkei wheels in India

This month's Overdrive magazine has an article that Enkei corporation, the world's second largest maker of alloy wheels, is starting a plant in Pune. This plant has the capacity to produce 180,000 car alloy wheels and 200,000 bike alloy wheels per annum. 75000 of the car alloys will be exported back to Japan, while the entire bike output will be for the domestic market. Enkei is targeting a 20-30 per cent market share within 3 years.

Enkei's website is here. For the world's second largest manufacturer with an annual production of over 14 million wheels, you would expect a larger variety of designs; on the other hand, the designs they have seem pretty sweet. I especially liked the SC03.

Anybody know when this plant will start production and when the wheels will be available locally? And what will the prices be like? Once this goes live, we will have an answer to the quandary of this thread - we will have the quality and design flair of imported wheels, with the warranty and peace of mind that the domestic manufacturers provide.

Last edited by johnjacob : 13th July 2005 at 16:17.
Old 25th August 2005, 21:36   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
This month's Overdrive magazine has an article that Enkei corporation, the world's second largest maker of alloy wheels, is starting a plant in Pune. This plant has the capacity to produce 180,000 car alloy wheels and 200,000 bike alloy wheels per annum. 75000 of the car alloys will be exported back to Japan, while the entire bike output will be for the domestic market. Enkei is targeting a 20-30 per cent market share within 3 years.

Enkei's website is here. For the world's second largest manufacturer with an annual production of over 14 million wheels, you would expect a larger variety of designs; on the other hand, the designs they have seem pretty sweet. I especially liked the SC03.

Anybody know when this plant will start production and when the wheels will be available locally? And what will the prices be like? Once this goes live, we will have an answer to the quandary of this thread - we will have the quality and design flair of imported wheels, with the warranty and peace of mind that the domestic manufacturers provide.
Checkout this guys design in Allows--->

http://chinasuppliers.alibaba.com/se...loy_Wheel.html

Its about the collection they have and u can import them......and about Enkie-->>Check this:
http://www.thewheelconnection.com/cu...kei-wheels.php

U will feel better......

Last edited by moodswings : 25th August 2005 at 21:39.
Old 25th August 2005, 22:04   #49
Team-BHP Support

desi, or non

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I will go with Indian just because they are ummm... India. the quality is the same too and prices and service are easy ..
i agree with you about the quality and price being comparable to imported alloys. the design is an individual perspective.
i would buy alloy wheels made in India rather than those made in China/Taiwan and not entirely because of quality issues or the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Americans usually by American
that isn't true anymore. leaving aside few commodities, Americans usually buy South-Asian goods (read Chinese, Indian, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Pakistani, Nepali), maybe not out of choice but because thats where most goods sold in America are manufactured.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th August 2005 at 22:17. Reason: modifying content
Old 6th October 2005, 00:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

What is the fascination with so called imported rims ? I would rather have aura or neo than some second rate alloys from taiwan.

If you want to buy foreign then go for decent brands from Europe and not crappy Taiwanese imports.

It is like saying you want imported mangoes and going for pakistani mangoes rather than the best mangoes from africa and the americas. You end up buying imports just so you can say "they are imported" rather than going for a quality product.
Old 7th October 2005, 01:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
What is the fascination with so called imported rims ? I would rather have aura or neo than some second rate alloys from taiwan.

If you want to buy foreign then go for decent brands from Europe and not crappy Taiwanese imports.

It is like saying you want imported mangoes and going for pakistani mangoes rather than the best mangoes from africa and the americas. You end up buying imports just so you can say "they are imported" rather than going for a quality product.
Bad comparison...mangoes are one of the best in India...I dont know if enuf data is available to solemnly declare that taiwanese alloys are worse off then Aura / Neo...who ..IMHO are the new kids on the block and not the taiwenese companies

...these taiwenese companies export to all over the world my friend...and Taiwan is no China...it is a pretty developed country...

the finishes and designs I have seen are amazing....for eg...just try www.league.com.tw sometime....and you'll know...

Last edited by Buffetfan : 7th October 2005 at 01:34.
Old 7th October 2005, 02:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Bad comparison...mangoes are one of the best in India...I dont know if enuf data is available to solemnly declare that taiwanese alloys are worse off then Aura / Neo...who ..IMHO are the new kids on the block and not the taiwenese companies

...these taiwenese companies export to all over the world my friend...and Taiwan is no China...it is a pretty developed country...

the finishes and designs I have seen are amazing....for eg...just try www.league.com.tw sometime....and you'll know...
. I used to think the same about mangoes until I tried the florida varities. IMHO They taste better tham the varieties you get in India (even the alphonso).

Yes Taiwan is not China, but Taiwan is also not the UK or Germany. If you ask any person in the UK what they think about stuff from Taiwan they will say cheap rubbish. I used to think things from Taiwan were OK until I encountered DVD-R and DVD+R discs manufactured in Taiwan. To say they were a pile of poo would be an understatement. In contrast discs made in Singapore and Japan were brilliant.

League are not exactly Advanti Racing, Antera, BBS, Compomotive
or TSW are they ? They may have a few extra designs but I wonder how exacting their quality control is. I have experience of the DVD media business and it was amazing to see how the Taiwanese sold blanks that were known to be of poor quality. I wonder if companies do the same with their alloys (if they cannot take a hit for a DVD blank costing a few pence to produce I doubt they will go out their way to stop grade a and grade b alloys being sold).

Neo and Aura must be doing something right if they have won orders from a few car majors.
Old 8th October 2005, 02:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
. I used to think the same about mangoes until I tried the florida varities. IMHO They taste better tham the varieties you get in India (even the alphonso).

Yes Taiwan is not China, but Taiwan is also not the UK or Germany. If you ask any person in the UK what they think about stuff from Taiwan they will say cheap rubbish. I used to think things from Taiwan were OK until I encountered DVD-R and DVD+R discs manufactured in Taiwan. To say they were a pile of poo would be an understatement. In contrast discs made in Singapore and Japan were brilliant.

League are not exactly Advanti Racing, Antera, BBS, Compomotive
or TSW are they ? They may have a few extra designs but I wonder how exacting their quality control is. I have experience of the DVD media business and it was amazing to see how the Taiwanese sold blanks that were known to be of poor quality. I wonder if companies do the same with their alloys (if they cannot take a hit for a DVD blank costing a few pence to produce I doubt they will go out their way to stop grade a and grade b alloys being sold).

Neo and Aura must be doing something right if they have won orders from a few car majors.
Not too many experiences on mangoes...in the US I have tried only the mexican variety....so cant comment....you may be right there...
I am not here to sell league and have no business interest in them...but am surely interestd in a fair discussion

Asking UK people may not give very exiciting opinions about India or France or several other countries either..does it mean anything to me...nope...do UK manufacture these things that taiwan do...no...can they sell them in the market...no...so why bother so much about the stiff upper lip???

If you look at what a Pound purchases....it is not even a fourth of the exchange rate it quotes at.....The western world is living on the things that their ancestors did ...including colonising a vast amount of countries and depriving the persons of what was righfully theirs...Now these are countries that are coming back and demanding their fair share of the world resources. Very soon the worls will start taking cognisance of Asia as a Powerful Continent and not a mud puddle where the only lotus is Japan.

Japan was considered cheap rubbish too sometime ago...and even till date...there is stuff that is cheap rubbish that is made in Japan . I have travelled across quite a few places....including Japan and Taiwan and the stuff that I purchased from Taiwan was of a very good quality....while some of the Japanese stuff picked up from Akihabara (their largest electrical market in Tokyo) was simply awful....

Talking of DVD / CDs....I have had issues with Moser Baer too...does that make eveything made in India crappy??? I would not think so...
.dont forget that the largest manufacturer of optical media are Taiwanese companies like Ritek....how would they become the biggest if not because of their quality???

I am not country specific....but the designs dished out by Auro and Neo are simply awful....will buy them when they start designing with things other than a pencil and a ruler

Last edited by Buffetfan : 8th October 2005 at 02:46.
Old 8th October 2005, 12:33   #54
Senior - BHPian

ha ha Ritek now there is a brand that was once trusted but since G05 dye and all the grade b G04 stock they dumped across the world they have got a rather bad reputation and enforced the old notion that they produce bad products in Taiwan.

Not all the designs by Aura and Neo are awful. I can find similar designs by establish european brands. So do they design with a pencil and ruler ? Perhaps the taiwanese are more apt at copying european designs, something which the indian producers have yet to latch on to.

No stiff upper lip here but I would not buy anything from Taiwan just so I could say "it is imported".

Last edited by Rtech : 8th October 2005 at 12:38. Reason: excessive quote
Old 8th October 2005, 15:26   #55
BHPian

Dont take the imported ones man...they havent got the reputation and they dont come with guarentee...better you choose the indian make...they are good looking and are surely durable.
Old 9th November 2005, 04:41   #56
BHPian

BSA alloy wheels

Any one heard of BSA alloy wheels ? how good are they ?
Old 9th November 2005, 07:39   #57
BHPian

i went for imported rims for my car coz ....when i saw the collection of designs and sizes i was blown away and i think that indian manufacturers dont offer that many designs and sizes to suit different needs!!!
Old 11th November 2005, 01:00   #58
BHPian

i think indian rims (aura) can be more dependable though i have BSA on my ride & they been pretty good.
Old 19th November 2005, 00:20   #59
BHPian

I use aura, pretty happy with them, besides if one were to crack you can always get a single piece, with imported ones i dont think you can get single pieces
Old 19th November 2005, 00:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

yeah your right about the one wheel replacement only aura and neo will replace one if its damaged.if you buy imported ones you will only get a set of four or five.so incase you really are keen on getting the imported ones make sure you get 5 so just incase one gets damaged you have a spare that you can use untill you replace all or sell your vehicle.

Rev

Most Viewed