Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 16:03   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
All of them Landmaster, Ambassador (Mk.I) had tubeless tyres (mostly imports) as OE. I remember my father and the driver cribbing about having to buy a tube. Remember we are talking about tubelsss and not radials.
I don't remember ever having come across a tubeless cross-ply tyre, but then I have been looking at cars since the 70s. It wouldn't be my place to comment on the 50s and 60s, but of all the cars that my family owned, from Morris 8s to Landmaster to Mark I Amby, never had tubeless cross-plies in the 70s.

Quote:
I have seen the mechanical bead separator (to break the bond between the bead and the rim) all over on highways (NH2, NH4, NH25, etc). Also, I am in Kanpur and have had seen them in Gwalior as well.
I agree - bead separators are quite commonly seen at most tyre puncture repair shops on the highways too.
Old 13th October 2009, 09:21   #47
BHPian

Bringing the thread alive again.

Yesterday morning after dropping my friend to the hospital I came back to my college at around 5 in the morning. There is a very sharp left hander when you enter the premises. I usually negotiate it pretty well at speeds of 40-60 kmph. But yesterday as I was sleep deprived I hit the breaks suddenly when i was half in the corner cause i thought the car was going towards right. It suddenly locked up & i lost control. The car swerved to the left & hit the footpath. The left front wheel got on top of the pavement(I presume). The car was again back on the roads in nanoseconds.

But there was a huge hissing sound which was alarming. I got out of the car & checked for physical damages. No dents, scratches but my front tyre was leaking like hell. I parked the car in the parking & suddenly realised there is one 24 Hr HP Petrol Pump 1 km from college. I risked driving at that critical juncture driving at 10 odd. Reached the tyre shop & he said either the rim will get changed or put in a tube. I was sure that the bent in the rim wasn't large. It could be easily aligned. But out of desperation i asked him to put in a tube. Gone 250 bucks. If my dad knows then gone is the car.

I think the valve was leaking so was it necessary to put in tube.?

He used a bit of hammer & chip to realign the bent rim which wasn't much bent. So should he have put a tube?

I know he conned me but i am not complaining cause it was my fault. But please do answer my answer my queries that whether putting a tube in tubeless tyres have any negative effect.

Without changing the rim can i get back to my original form of tubeless tyres. How much will it cost?

OT: When the accident happened my director was taking his morning walk & without even empathizing with me he asked my about my details. I asked for forgiveness. Then he said don't you know there is a speed limit in institution. I asked where is the Speed limit board

Please do answer my queries at the earliest!
Old 13th October 2009, 12:20   #48
BANNED

If it is sealing/deating properly I will not bother. Also, some good tyre shops have a rim straightening machine. If you can find one then that will be brilliant.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:30   #49
Senior - BHPian

[quote=SS-Traveller;1387223]I don't remember ever having come across a tubeless cross-ply tyre, but then I have been looking at cars since the 70s. It wouldn't be my place to comment on the 50s and 60s, but of all the cars that my family owned, from Morris 8s to Landmaster to Mark I Amby, never had tubeless cross-plies in the 70s.

Me too started looking at cars in the early 70's and I very clearly remember that 1970 Ambys and Fiats came with tubed cross plys. Even 1968 fiats were shod with similar tyres. Probably Dolphin was the firat indian car with tubeless radials.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:18   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
If it is sealing/deating properly I will not bother. Also, some good tyre shops have a rim straightening machine. If you can find one then that will be brilliant.

Thanks for the solution but how do i find it? Cost of the procedure?
Old 13th October 2009, 16:03   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Normally, our fellows are quite good at beating out dents and you should be Ok. I cannot exactly teel who will have a rim straightening machine, but some bigger tyre shops may have it. As for the cost no idea whatsoever.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:18   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Ask around at the bigger Wheel Alignment / tyre dealers. Some of them should have the machines to do it.

I was charged Rs 80 per steel rim last year for straightening 12" rims. You may also have the replace the valve stem for the tubeless tyre (they tend to get damaged while straightening the rim). Carry some spare ones with you as some of them try to overcharge you for replacements.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:10   #53
BHPian

Any particular place where I can get the rim straightening done?
Old 9th November 2009, 17:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

A query to all tyre gurus:

I have a Verna CRDI which has done 15.6k kms. The stock tyres are Bridgestone B250s (185/65 R14). Last month we made a driving trip to Puri, Orissa. On our way back, the right rear tyre hit a rock and ripped the sidewall. Puncture wala declared it too unfit to be repaired, so I put in a tube, put the tyre as spare and carried on with 4 good tyres.

Right now the 4 good tyres are in use, the tubed damaged tyre is in the boot. For city use, I have no problems. The car cant do more than 90-100 kmh anyway. Even if I have a puncture, the spare will be used only for 3-4 kms before I find a shop.

But I am planning another highway trip in December. This is where my question lies? Is it safe to do the trip with 4 tubeless tyres and the tubed tyre as spare? On highways I tend to be consistently fast. In case I have another puncture and have to use the spare, will it be safe to drive back at high speeds with the tubed spare in use?

I'm saying this from the viewpoint of coupling tubed tyres with tubeless tyres, and the resultant difference in heat build up.

The other option is to buy a cheaper tubeless tyre (like a JK vectra) and use it as spare.

Please advise.
Old 9th November 2009, 17:22   #55
BHPian

A tyre with a sidewall rip is not safe for high speed use - so either replace it with a new tyre (preferably buy the same type as the other 4 tyres) or reduce speed and drive to the nearest repair shop very carefully when the spare is in use.
Old 9th November 2009, 17:54   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Is it safe to do the trip with 4 tubeless tyres and the tubed tyre as spare?
Quote:
will it be safe to drive back at high speeds with the tubed spare in use?
Both the question will have similar answer dada, NO.
The problem will be purely a faster heat buildup as the side wall is ripped, the heat buildup will result in bursting of the tube automatically at high speeds while driving, might be even due to slightest tyre pressure mismatch as compared to the rest three. This can be fatal, so wise decision would be to purchase a new tyre with similar attributes like the other three.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:54   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Any particular place where I can get the rim straightening done?
What size is the rim? 12'' or 13'' ?
Old 10th November 2009, 11:49   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...ripped the sidewall.
It would be easier to give an opinion if you could post a picture of the damage, both outside and inside of the tyre casing.
Old 31st October 2011, 11:06   #59
Team-BHP Support

Re: Using Tube in Tubeless Tyre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
ONLY in the case of an emergency (puncture etc.), it may be okay to fit a tube inside a tubeless tyre. Again, I would recommend this ONLY as a temporary solution. Tubeless tyres are constructed differently from tube-type tyres, and may not necessarily be able to handle the additional friction from the tube on the inside of the tyre.

Have a look at this thread also.
I'm in a dilemma.

I got a new tubeless tyre for my pulsar front wheel - the new sticky ones as in p220, and has run less that 5k kms with it. But since the alloy is old, its catching rust and loosing air - because the wheel well sealing is not proper.

Only way to use the set seems to be with tube. Since this will only be used for short office - home runs and maximum of only 80 kmph, is it ok to go ahead?
Old 31st October 2011, 11:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Using Tube in Tubeless Tyre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm in a dilemma.

I got a new tubeless tyre for my pulsar front wheel - the new sticky ones as in p220, and has run less that 5k kms with it. But since the alloy is old, its catching rust and loosing air - because the wheel well sealing is not proper.

Only way to use the set seems to be with tube. Since this will only be used for short office - home runs and maximum of only 80 kmph, is it ok to go ahead?
For your (and others) safety please do not make this a permanent solution. As GTO has mentioned there's definitely going to be friction and extra heat inside the tyre and I'd let the experts comment about what speed can safely be maintained if using a tube in a tubeless tyre but one thing that I'd strongly recommend is getting the sealing/beading fixed or may be get a new alloy.

To re-iterate, using tubes in a tubeless tyre is for emergencies and only a temporary solution. Though one of my friend has used this on highways, Delhi-Meerut-Delhi, for about 5000 kms before he got a new tubeless tyre but its still a big safety hazard. I tried to convince him a lot by sending all sorts of write-ups about it from the net but all he said was that on the Delhi-Meerut highway one rarely exceeds 70-80 kmph so it wasn't a big deal. Still, not advisable.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed