Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2011, 13:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Using Tube in Tubeless Tyre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm in a dilemma.

I got a new tubeless tyre for my pulsar front wheel - the new sticky ones as in p220, and has run less that 5k kms with it. But since the alloy is old, its catching rust and loosing air - because the wheel well sealing is not proper.

Only way to use the set seems to be with tube. Since this will only be used for short office - home runs and maximum of only 80 kmph, is it ok to go ahead?
I would not try this even as a temp. setup! Maybe ok if you are stranded and need to get somewhere. Remember its the front wheel of a bike, and you are talking about 80 kmph!! Can you imagine the tube bursting or suddenly loosing pressure at that speed? While the chances of this happening are probably low, is it worth risking? Tubeless tyres are not tested for use with tubes inside.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 21:24   #62
BHPian

I have been using tube in tubeless tyres for almost 30000kms without any issues. Of course i have had a couple of puntures, which i have repaired and used as any tube type tyre. The reason for using tubes was the stock tyres were 165/65R14 profile(TATA INDICA TURBO) and the disc edges were often damaged, so though i got it straightened with a machine it was still rough. To add to this let me tell all that my tubes are the originals which came with the car(2006)
Old 16th December 2011, 07:44   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
For your (and others) safety please do not make this a permanent solution. As GTO has mentioned there's definitely going to be friction and extra heat inside the tyre and I'd let the experts comment about what speed can safely be maintained if using a tube in a tubeless tyre but one thing that I'd strongly recommend is getting the sealing/beading fixed or may be get a new alloy.

To re-iterate, using tubes in a tubeless tyre is for emergencies and only a temporary solution. Though one of my friend has used this on highways, Delhi-Meerut-Delhi, for about 5000 kms before he got a new tubeless tyre but its still a big safety hazard. I tried to convince him a lot by sending all sorts of write-ups about it from the net but all he said was that on the Delhi-Meerut highway one rarely exceeds 70-80 kmph so it wasn't a big deal. Still, not advisable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I would not try this even as a temp. setup! Maybe ok if you are stranded and need to get somewhere. Remember its the front wheel of a bike, and you are talking about 80 kmph!! Can you imagine the tube bursting or suddenly loosing pressure at that speed? While the chances of this happening are probably low, is it worth risking? Tubeless tyres are not tested for use with tubes inside.
Had to resort to putting a tube inside tubeless front tyre because of an emergency situation. However - the result was worse than i expected. Noticeable wobble of front tyres at speeds close to 50 kmph. Didnt have confidence to go higher. The wobble was experienced because the sealing between the wheel and the tyre was not proper, as the airpressure was no longer properly responsible for the same. (One could observe the difference in diameter at one point, as the tyrewell was sticking inside towards one inside).

Cleaned the rims and put tubeless back. The setup was ok for 3-4 days, but now I'm back to square one. Had to go somewhere early morning, and I'm greeted by a flat front tyre!

Switching back to new tube type tyres (and forget about the new tubeless tyres) seems to be the only way out!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th December 2011 at 07:45.
Old 16th December 2011, 10:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

So it seems the wobbling effect is worse is bikes than in cars. The only downside of putting in a tube tyre would be, as we all know, instant deflating of the tyre when punctured. So depending on how ok you'd be with something like that you can decide.
Old 16th December 2011, 10:22   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
So it seems the wobbling effect is worse is bikes than in cars. The only downside of putting in a tube tyre would be, as we all know, instant deflating of the tyre when punctured. So depending on how ok you'd be with something like that you can decide.
I really dont have a choice!

With the current alloys + tubeless tyres - the front goes FLAT in 3 days. With tubeless tyre + tube inside - it wobbles! So going back to tube type seems the only choice I have now.

Only other way out is to change alloy wheels - which doesnt make sense for a 5 years+ old bike, when an upgrade may be round the corner. Any idea how much does new alloys for pulsars cost?
Old 23rd February 2012, 23:15   #66
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread:

I recently bought a Premier Padmini which has tubeless tyres on normal rims. How would I know whether there is tube inside the tyres? The previous owner is out-of-touch.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Bumping up an old thread:

I recently bought a Premier Padmini which has tubeless tyres on normal rims. How would I know whether there is tube inside the tyres? The previous owner is out-of-touch.
Just take it to any tire shop and ask them to deflate the tires and check pal.
Old 24th February 2012, 10:55   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Just take it to any tire shop and ask them to deflate the tires and check pal.

I was actually trying to avoid that and see whether there is something I can do to check from home. Thinking of switching to alloys, so I may discover whether they had tubes when I remove the rims
Old 6th April 2012, 17:29   #69
BHPian

I have had a "side puncture" on one of my tubless tyres (swift dzire vdi) and its been over 2000 Km now. I am now experiencing some loss of pressure in this Tyre and my puncture repair guy is recommending putting a tube into it. Comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zensure View Post
During the recent wheel balancing, I realized that all my my tyres (stock on Swift VXi -- JK Tornado Tubeless) have tubes!!
=============
I am just curious -- does all the swifts' sotck tubeless tyres have tubes in it? Can folks corroborate this?

regards
Negative. My DZire VDi didn't come with tubes. But I am considering tube-ing two of the tyres now.

Mod team note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th April 2012 at 17:57. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 09:43   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
We had a safari, with Tubeless radials on it, some how during the course of its life many drivers drove the car, someone placed tubes to repair a puncture, one fine day, the tube burst due to excessive flexing against the sidewall (heat generated due to friction with the internal walls of the tyre), luckily we were at low speeds and meters away from home.
Extensive tube use in a tubeless tyre is not safe. The tubeless tyre is designed to have a layer of impermeable rubber inside to avoid leakage of air.
Have it changed as soon as you can and avoid high speed runs (anything over 60kmph while the tube is on).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You can use tube in tubeless tires without any harm, be it alloys or steel rims. As far as damaging the tire lips, if proper machines are used to fit and remove the tires, damage will not happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
I have been using tube in tubeless tyres for almost 30000kms without any issues. Of course i have had a couple of puntures, which i have repaired and used as any tube type tyre. The reason for using tubes was the stock tyres were 165/65R14 profile(TATA INDICA TURBO) and the disc edges were often damaged, so though i got it straightened with a machine it was still rough. To add to this let me tell all that my tubes are the originals which came with the car(2006)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
ONLY in the case of an emergency (puncture etc.), it may be okay to fit a tube inside a tubeless tyre. Again, I would recommend this ONLY as a temporary solution. Tubeless tyres are constructed differently from tube-type tyres, and may not necessarily be able to handle the additional friction from the tube on the inside of the tyre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The only difference between tubeless and tube tyres is a soft rubber lining to hold the air. Otherwise theya re identical. So go ahead and use the 'now tubed' tyre with impunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
1. No problem in putting a tube in a tubeless tyre. Perfectly fine.
2. Any repairs outside the tread area are a big NO-NO. So patching a sidewall is definitely out. You have to get a new tyre.
I bumped into this thread accidentally and and now in very much concern.
I had changed my 2002 santro's tyres about more that one year back with Michelin tubeless XM1. The tyre shop wala told me that my old rims were little bent so the tubeless wont fit properly so he used the existing tubes of my old tyres and fit them inside the new tubeless tyres. I have been using this setup for more than one year and have even been to mahableshwar on the new tyres.

Havent faced any issues till date but this thread makes me concerned about one point - as GTO and others have pointed out, the friction between the tube on the inside of the tyre. How is this friction different from the friction between the tube and the inside of tubed tyres? I am generally a sedate driver and in mumbai city use normally one can rarely exceed 50-60kph. (But on my mahableshwar run in mar last year I have been in speeds of 100-120kph). Also I am almost on the verge of replacing my car (its been 10 years and one of my friends is eyeing my car), so I dont want to spend on new rims But I am very much confused now!! Pls help
Old 17th July 2012, 10:22   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Take a look at the nozzle. The tube will have the nozzle coming out from inside, while in a tubeless the nozzle is fixed to the rim!
Old 17th July 2012, 23:34   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
friction between the tube on the inside of the tyre. How is this friction different from the friction between the tube and the inside of tubed tyres?
This is why its ok to use tube. Only thing the advantage of having a tubeless tire can be minused in this set up. As long as one maintains a proper tyre pressure, the tube inside a tubeless tyre set up = tubed tyre set up. Unless there is some issue with the inside wall of the tyre which forced you to put the tube or there is a sidewall damage to the tyre.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 09:20   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is why its ok to use tube. Only thing the advantage of having a tubeless tire can be minused in this set up. As long as one maintains a proper tyre pressure, the tube inside a tubeless tyre set up = tubed tyre set up. Unless there is some issue with the inside wall of the tyre which forced you to put the tube or there is a sidewall damage to the tyre.
Gee Thanks!! The tyres were new when I put the tubes so there was no question of damage. The only reason for putting the tubes was my old rims weren't suitable for tubeless setup. That gives me some relief.
Old 18th July 2012, 10:00   #74
Senior - BHPian

I had Yokos on my Innova put on about a year and a half back, so pretty new. Just a week back, one of the rear tyres got a triangular metal chip that got it cut by about 3/4" right in the tread groove. There is no way this can be repaired properly but got it repaired to certain extent at a tyre shop nearby. What we did is, put a big patch from inside the tyre after cleaning and levelling the cut, the radial wires were protruding inside from the cut. But we managed to get it leveled properly. Also the cut from outside on the tread was filled up with mesh and adhesive to seal and level it properly. A tube had to be put in as it seemed no longer feasible to carry on as a tubeless on a daily run. So the tyre got converted to tubed one from tubeless.

But inspite of proper tyre pressure maintained in all tyres, and I have Nitro in them, there is still a wobbly feeling in the drive now. So it does not seem a long term solution but just a temporary one to be used for spare only. Seems I will have to get a new one for regular use now.

I still have to understand completely why exactly should it happen inspite of uniform pressure maintained. There is definitely some factor affecting the uniformity and affecting the drive. Seems if at all a tyre is to be converted, it may need to be evenly balanced by the opposite side tyre being treated the same way.

Had similar experience in my earlier set of tyres when one tyre was blown with cut on sidewall due to a sharp stone while on way back from Goa. It was again converted to tubed one and the experience was similar, wobbly on daily runs so it was reserved for spare only.
Old 18th July 2012, 10:16   #75
BANNED

As even the tread reinforcement wires were exposed I think it is unsafe to continue with the tyre in any form. Replace it asap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks