Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2017, 23:17   #91
BHPian

Re: Using Tube in Tubeless Tyre!

Recently got a tube fitted into one of the tubeless tyre of Maruti Dzire (Tyre Size 165/80 R14) and the reason was that the tyre had suffered three punctures on the edge which had eventually become difficult to plug properly due to their precarious location. Have driven a couple of hundred kilometers after the fitment and have not suffered any problem until now. From tread wear point of view the tyre in question is in good condition as such wish to use it till it wears out to safe levels. Although as a precautionary measure have fitted the said tyre on the rear. Should I continue to use the tyre? Would using the tube inside a tubeless tyre will lead to heating issues?
Old 9th September 2017, 11:13   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
Recently got a tube fitted into one of the tubeless tyre of Maruti Dzire (Tyre Size 165/80 R14) and the reason was that the tyre had suffered three punctures on the edge which had eventually become difficult to plug properly due to their precarious location. Have driven a couple of hundred kilometers after the fitment and have not suffered any problem until now. From tread wear point of view the tyre in question is in good condition as such wish to use it till it wears out to safe levels. Although as a precautionary measure have fitted the said tyre on the rear. Should I continue to use the tyre? Would using the tube inside a tubeless tyre will lead to heating issues?
Using a tube inside a tubeless tire due to a difficult to fix puncture is not an issue at all. Just make sure that the tire is not damaged in a way that it compromises safety.
Good that you have set it up on the rear. Keep it that way or, even better, swap it with the spare tire if its a full sized one.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 11:18   #93
Senior - BHPian

I see a concern here. Repairing of a tubed tyre is done by applying a patch on the tube and also on the tyre to ensure the inflated tube will fit into the tyre.

For a tubeless tyre, punctures are repaired using a plug of sorts. With several such plugs protruding on the inside of the tyre, using a tube may not be a good idea as the tube may rub against one of these plugs and get damaged.

If you still want to use it, a better idea would be to use it as a spare.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 13:03   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Using a tube inside a tubeless tire due to a difficult to fix puncture is not an issue at all. Just make sure that the tire is not damaged in a way that it compromises safety.
Good that you have set it up on the rear. Keep it that way or, even better, swap it with the spare tire if its a full sized one.

Regards,
Saket.
Thanks a lot for the helpful reply. Although I do have the spare tyre which is in good condition but as out of the five tyres, two are a bit more worn out than the others, so have decided to keep the spare as a reserve for fitment on the front ends only. Using the best among the lot on the front ends and second to them on the rear.

Warm Regards
Old 10th September 2017, 13:34   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the helpful reply. Although I do have the spare tyre which is in good condition but as out of the five tyres, two are a bit more worn out than the others, so have decided to keep the spare as a reserve for fitment on the front ends only. Using the best among the lot on the front ends and second to them on the rear.

Warm Regards
It could be a revelation but tires with comparatively better thread should go to the rear axle.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 14:52   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Warm Regards
Quote:
It could be a revelation but tires with comparatively better thread should go to the rear axle.

Regards,
Saket.
The front brakes are major part of braking system. When a car is braking the car weight is thrown forward. Which is why braking has to be better at front part than rear.

This is also why we see Disc brakes which are better than drum brakes at the front wheels and drum brakes at rear where they suffice.

That is why the tyres at the front always have to be in better shape than rear.

Any anomaly, wear tear and the front tyres could burst and get car into critical uncontrollable situation. Whereas if any burst happens at rear, it is relatively much better controlled.

Remember, always use better tyres at the front and not rear.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 18:57   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I see a concern here. Repairing of a tubed tyre is done by applying a patch on the tube and also on the tyre to ensure the inflated tube will fit into the tyre.

For a tubeless tyre, punctures are repaired using a plug of sorts. With several such plugs protruding on the inside of the tyre, using a tube may not be a good idea as the tube may rub against one of these plugs and get damaged.

If you still want to use it, a better idea would be to use it as a spare.
Thanks a lot for your valuable input. Would like to share that had got the puncture plugs removed from the tyre before getting the tube installed.

Regards

Quote:

Regards,
Saket.
Technically correct but with a precondition that the tyres intended to be installed on the front axle should also be pretty reasonably in good condition and not on the verge of their service life.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
The front brakes are major part of braking system. When a car is braking the car weight is thrown forward. Which is why braking has to be better at front part than rear.

This is also why we see Disc brakes which are better than drum brakes at the front wheels and drum brakes at rear where they suffice.

Any anomaly, wear tear and the front tyres could burst and get car into critical uncontrollable situation. Whereas if any burst happens at rear, it is relatively much better controlled.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. I also do the same thing and always advice regarding the same. But the revelation made by our distinguished member Saket77 also holds logic but albeit with a precondition that the tyres on the front axle should be in pretty reasonably good condition.

Logic: Comparatively better tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning. Hydroplaning occurs when the tire cannot process enough water through its tread design to maintain effective contact with the road.

If the front tires have significantly less tread depth than the rear tires, the front tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the rear tires. While this will cause the vehicle to understeer (the vehicle wants to continue driving straight ahead), understeer is relatively easy to control because releasing the accelerator pedal will slow the vehicle and help the driver maintain control.

However, if the front tires have significantly more tread depth than the rear tires, the rear tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the front ones. This will cause the vehicle to oversteer (the vehicle will want to spin). Oversteer is far more difficult to control and in addition to the initial distress felt when the rear of the car starts sliding, quickly releasing the accelerator pedal in an attempt to slow down may actually make it more difficult for the driver to regain control, possibly causing a complete spinout.

The following useful link has the details:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=52

Regards

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 10th September 2017 at 19:17.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 22:31   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post

Any anomaly, wear tear and the front tyres could burst...

First things first: Using a tire which is on the 'verge of giving up' and which may burst is absolutely out of question. (Which is why I advised the OP to use that tire on the rear). Now what remains is usable tires. Compare them and put the ones with deeper treads at the rear. In an emergency braking manoeuvre you don't want to be fishtailing, do you? it's tough situation to control.
Under hard braking, as you said, the weight is on the front tires and they already have the benefit of higher traction. At the same time, the rear tires can easily lose traction and that is especially true for wet surfaces, as our other member, ssambyal has explained perfectly. This condition is very difficult for an average driver to control on public roads.

Hope that takes my point across.
Regards,
Saket.

Just came across this wonderful demonstration on Michelin's website on mixing old and new tires. That pretty much seals this discussion. Do watch this:

http://m.michelin.in/IN/en/safe-driv...ing-tyres.html

Last edited by theMAG : 11th September 2017 at 04:30. Reason: Back-back posts merged/as requested
Old 13th September 2017, 22:35   #99
BHPian

Which company's tyres among the following would be the best bet for fitment on Maruti Swift Dzire having tyre size 165/80 R14? The car is being used in a mixed manner both in the hills and plains.
1. JK
2. MRF
3. Bridgestone
4. Mitchelin
5. Apollo
6. Goodyear
Old 14th September 2017, 13:57   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which company's tyres among the following would be the best bet for fitment on Maruti Swift Dzire having tyre size 165/80 R14? The car is being used in a mixed manner both in the hills and plains.
1. JK
2. MRF
3. Bridgestone
4. Mitchelin
5. Apollo
6. Goodyear
I have had good experiences with Good year & Bridgestones. Grip wise Michelin is the best, but since its softer rubber, means it is more prone to damage. Won't recommend if you do bad roads quite often and if your running is less.

Avoid JKs. No idea about Apollo.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 11th December 2020, 09:23   #101
BHPian

Recently suffered a very small pinhole puncture on the sidewall/shoulder of one of the rear tires of my Honda City. The tires are 20k run Yokohama A drives.The puncture was so small that it took 3 visits to different tire shops to find why the tyre was deflating in 3-4 days’ time. The spare tire is from the old set and used up completely.
Was considering a hot patch or a tube. Was a little apprehensive because I will be doing a 2500 km drive from Bangalore-Delhi in coming January. On recommendation of the tire dealer have put a tube in this tire and have put it in its original place at rear left. ( For emergencies have also bought a spare tube for the journey ).As per the tire dealer the tire is perfectly safe to run at high speeds on highways even in the 2500 km drive
Have searched the forum but could not find definite answers. Would not like to buy a new tire due to certain financial constraints in covid times.

Using Tube in Tubeless Tyre!-screenshot_20201211090613.jpg
Old 11th December 2020, 09:50   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Have searched the forum but could not find definite answers. Would not like to buy a new tire due to certain financial constraints in covid times.
I have done a similar thing, but my running is mostly in Mumbai city with plenty of tyrewalas on the route. Also my stepney is in perfect condition (lower size though).

Must have done 1000 kms with this set-up. the car works fine in my view.

I will be changing the tyres soon though. Didnt want to change tyres, when the running was so low.
Old 11th December 2020, 10:03   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
.The puncture was so small that it took 3 visits to different tire shops to find why the tyre was deflating in 3-4 days’ time. The spare tire is from the old set and used up completely.
Was considering a hot patch or a tube. Was a little apprehensive because I will be doing a 2500 km drive from Bangalore-Delhi in coming January. On recommendation of the tire dealer have put a tube in this tire and have put it in its original place at rear left. ( For emergencies have also bought a spare tube for the journey ).As per the tire dealer the tire is perfectly safe to run at high speeds on highways even in the 2500 km drive

Since the hole is tiny and has not affected the structural integrity of the tyre, you can use it with tube for the remaining life of the tyre with no issues. Keeping a spare tube is a good idea.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 10:04   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I have done a similar thing, but my running is mostly in Mumbai city with plenty of tyrewalas on the route. Also my spare tire is in perfect condition (lower size though).

Must have done 1000 kms with this set-up. the car works fine in my view.

I will be changing the tires soon though. Didnt want to change tyres, when the running was so low.
There is a lot of confusion in this aspect. I read through all the threads on this topic and all I could figure out was-
1 Most people recommend a tire change on any sidewall issue
2 Some people and even tire experts like Nikhil are of the opinion that using tube in a tubeless tire is fine, however some people are still against it citing reasons such as heat build up due to friction etc.
3 Heat patch seems a no-no on the forum, with hardly any one recommending it on sidewalls
Old 12th December 2020, 09:38   #105
BHPian

Please refer above video from mycarhelpline. Although I have already put a tube in the tyre ,I am still in doubt.This is especially due to the upcoming 2500km drive.
WanderinNomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks