Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2007, 20:30   #1
BHPian

Using Tube in Tubeless Tyre!

Dear All,

Today I went for Wheel Alignment for my Accent, Well when the wheels were removed for balancing it was found that the tyres have devloped a crack and needs to be replaced on urgent basis. With no option left I've to go for it. I got JK ultima XPS 175/70/R13, on the tyre it was written as tubeless so on enquiring it was told that now all the tyres are made like that but you can use it as tubed one. As my rims were not very new ( the car is 6 year old) so I was nor very keen on having the tubeless, so I had no option but to fit them with tubes. I've been charged 2200 per tyre. Please let me know what are the disadvantages of this setup and also have I been charged rightly or I've been taken for a ride.
Guys I need replies on a bit urgent basis as I've to travel Mumbai to Pune tommorow evening and I don't want to take any chance with my family.
Thanks In Advance
Saurabh

Moderators: I've tried searching this topic but couldn't the matching answer and it was a matter of safety hence I'm putting this thread.Incase if this answer exist then please guide me.
Old 29th November 2007, 13:10   #2
BHPian

There should not be any safety concers with regards to putting a Tube in a Tubeless tyre. In fact I know many people who use a tube, albeit on a temporary basis, when they have a puncture in their tubeless. This seems to work quite well.
However the best thing would be to get a new set of rims and fix the tubeless on them.
Old 29th November 2007, 13:10   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

ONLY in the case of an emergency (puncture etc.), it may be okay to fit a tube inside a tubeless tyre. Again, I would recommend this ONLY as a temporary solution. Tubeless tyres are constructed differently from tube-type tyres, and may not necessarily be able to handle the additional friction from the tube on the inside of the tyre.

Have a look at this thread also.

Last edited by GTO : 29th November 2007 at 13:13.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2007, 19:08   #4
BHPian

On a drive from Bangalore to Hyderabad, I had a flat tyre (tubeless tyre) near Kurnool and since the guy who fixed the the puncture was not sure about whether it would hold, I had a tube added.

Continued to Hyderabad and then back to Bangalore. There were no problems.
This was on Good year GPS 2 tubeless tyres.

In Bangalore, had the puncture checked and found that it was indeed fixed well. So had the tube removed.

Regards
Ravi.
Old 14th October 2008, 16:46   #5
BHPian

would like to bring this thread back to life.My Indigo's rear tyres are due for replacement.I am not going to invest in alloys and hence "pure" tubeless tyres will not work for me as my 6 yr old indigo steel rim has taken some bashing and it will not hold air for long.Hence, I was thinking of getting a tubeless tyre and putting tube in it. Am I compromising on safety ? My monthly run is around 1500 (mostly in highways).
Old 14th October 2008, 16:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

It should be ok.

Many tubeless tyres are EXACTLY the same as tubetype tyres. Only difference is, they are marked differently. For example, MRF ZEC. It is available in Tubeless and tube type but to be honest, there is ABSOLUTELY no difference in construction. The tubeless tyre is sold at a lesser price and the tubetype is sold at a slightly higherprice(due to the cost of the tube). That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
would like to bring this thread back to life.My Indigo's rear tyres are due for replacement.I am not going to invest in alloys and hence "pure" tubeless tyres will not work for me as my 6 yr old indigo steel rim has taken some bashing and it will not hold air for long.Hence, I was thinking of getting a tubeless tyre and putting tube in it. Am I compromising on safety ? My monthly run is around 1500 (mostly in highways).
Why not just get normal tube type tyres?

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 14th October 2008 at 16:59.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2008, 17:34   #7
BHPian

Tube-type and tubeless are made differently.
Tubeless tyre is supposed to have a stiffer side wall.

Yes a tube can be used in a tubeless tyre, but this is not a permanent solution and should be used in case of any emergency.

A tubeless with tube as a spare will be fine.
But for regular use, I'm not sure.
Its not designed for that so the results of a tube in a tubeless is a bit of uncharted territory and is definitely "not" recommended in the long run.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
joe..putting tube in a tubeless tyre will not have any safety related prblm.but at the 1st point why'd u do tht ?? you'll not get any benefit of tubeless tyre once u put tube in it.moreover,a tubeless tyre with tube is expensive + heavier than a tubetype tyre with tube.either go for tubetype tyres or change ur rims & put Tubeless WITHOUT TUBE
Old 17th March 2009, 12:22   #9
BHPian

Tube in a Tubeless Tyre !!

Hey All,

I got a Palio Stile 1.6 Sports. About 6 months back I had hit a big pothole full of stones at about 100 kmph, Because of this Tyre (Micheling XM1+) got cut and Allo wheel rim got a slight bent.

I then got the tyre replaced. Checked with the dealer if Alloy wheel was ok. He examined it and it was alright.

After driving about 8000 kms in last 6 months, last week I again hit some big stones on the road. After that same wheel got flat. I got this examined form same shop and he found that air was leaking from the very small bend that I have on alloy wheel. Air leakge is very minor but its there.

So he had to put tube inside this tubeless tyre. Can you all please suggest if this is common or is there any solution? I am not very keen to keep such an arrangement as I drive at high speeds

Cheers
Old 17th March 2009, 12:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

It is common, but it is wrong. It's better you replace the tyre and put it at the back.

How is your spare alloy wheel? Why dont you use that on the car and keep the bent alloy wheel with the XM1+ and a tube as a spare to be used ONLY in emergencies. Not otherwise.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Pankaj,

As Nikhil mentioned, it is a normal practise. Why not try to get to a rim bend removal shop and fix the leak? Do not go for the guys with hammer and rod, there are machines which does this and make sure to go there for best results.

But, I would not be concerned about that; more concerned about how you ended up with two stone hits - hope both were truly unavoidable circumstance and not due to an oversight, especially when you say that you drive fast.

I also had a stone hit which cause the tire to tear up fully and the rim was totally damaged. Happened at 100+ kmph and was due to my failure in judging the path!

Been extra careful ever since, because I know how lucky I was the last time and more careful ever since, at least by not underestimating those bang-in-middle-of-road rocks .

Drive safe, mate.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:18   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@Happywheels -- I'm assuming he has alloy wheels. In which case getting the rim fixed is nearly impossible. There are fly by night operators who promise to remove bends from an alloy wheel but they are not reliable. They basically heat the alloy so it melts or softens. Then they reshape it. This will end up weakening the alloy. Not recommended at all unless you use it only in case of emergencies and that too at low speeds.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

@Pankaj: Two hits (one hit and a bend is enough) on an alloy mean you should be replacing the alloy. Unlike steel wheels, alloys are more brittle, and can suddenly crack/come apart at high speeds, causing sudden deflation (even with a tube inside your tubeless tyre) and loss of control. Bent steel wheels can be straightened, don't try it on alloys.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:19   #14
BHPian

A tube in a tubeless tyre is okay if it is an emergency and you are someplace where knowledge/availability of tubeless tyres is less (like in the hills). I personally would not be comfortable using such a thing on a highway/expressway for long.

As others suggested use the old tyre as a spare but do get a new tubeless after getting the rim fixed or bite the bullet and get a new wheel and tyre (more expensive but safer)
Old 17th March 2009, 13:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
@Happywheels -- I'm assuming he has alloy wheels. In which case getting the rim fixed is nearly impossible... Not recommended at all unless you use it only in case of emergencies and that too at low speeds.
Absolutely true!

It's a Palio 1.6 Sport: missed that out! My bad!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks