Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 18:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

MRF ZSLK eco-friendly, silica tyres

Hi folks, anyone tried these? MRF announced this range of eco-friendly, low rolling resistance, silica infused tyres late last month. I haven't heard much about them.
My Honda City is due for a new set of tyres in another few 1000kms and I'm curious to know how these perform.
Separately, do silica tyres actually improve fuel efficiency and if so by how much? I guess its a trade-off between the extra you pay for the tyres and the fuel you save. And what happens to stopping distance - does low rolling resistance mean increased stopping distance?
Any responses will be much appreciated.
thanks
Old 6th December 2007, 21:51   #2
BHPian

My personal experience MRF tyres are very bad.I dont know about the new ZSLK.You better go for Michelin,Yokohoma or Bridgestone Potenza III.
Old 6th December 2007, 22:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
My personal experience MRF tyres are very bad.I dont know about the new ZSLK.You better go for Michelin,Yokohoma or Bridgestone Potenza III.
Totally agree mrf tyres are horrible.Mrf ZVTS was supposed to be a good tyre bla bla.Look how it turned out to be.Numerous complains.
Old 7th December 2007, 10:18   #4
BANNED

Mrf

My experience using MRF's in my lancer was good, no complaints lasted for around 70000kms.
Old 7th December 2007, 10:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

The same silica thing for less rollover resistance is used in Michelin Energy. Get those.
Old 7th December 2007, 11:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Hi folks, anyone tried these? MRF announced this range of eco-friendly, low rolling resistance, silica infused tyres late last month. I haven't heard much about them.
My Honda City is due for a new set of tyres in another few 1000kms and I'm curious to know how these perform.
Separately, do silica tyres actually improve fuel efficiency and if so by how much? I guess its a trade-off between the extra you pay for the tyres and the fuel you save. And what happens to stopping distance - does low rolling resistance mean increased stopping distance?
Any responses will be much appreciated.
thanks
Rolling resistance and traction are two seprate properties.
Silica based tyre improves traction/braking and at the same time fuel efficiency is increased due to low rolling resistance.
Silica based tyres develope less heat so can perform better in wider range of tempratures. Even performance of a silica based tyres remains cosnistant in case of high speed long distance running.
Old 7th December 2007, 12:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Didn't JK come out with those "Green" tires some time back?
Old 8th December 2007, 03:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the responses all.
Are Michelin's sold officially in India?
frankly if the increase in fuel efficiency is not great with these `green' tyres I might as well go for regular ones from a good brand.
Old 8th December 2007, 06:47   #9
BHPian

if you are not too brand conscious, i would suggest you go for MRF ZV2K Tubeless tyres. These come OEM on my Elantra & they are VERY VERY GOOD!!!

These are 'H' rated to 210 KMPH, & till date (14,000 KM) i haven't got a SINGLE puncture!!
Old 8th December 2007, 11:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Are Michelin's sold officially in India?
Yes, they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
if you are not too brand conscious, i would suggest you go for MRF ZV2K Tubeless tyres. These come OEM on my Elantra & they are VERY VERY GOOD!!!
Fair enough but I'm willing to bet you're going to realise the difference when you switch to better tyres in the near future. You can only realise it once you've driven regularly on another set of tyres which is better or worse.
Old 8th December 2007, 11:49   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I had MRF ZVTS on my Indica (OEM)for around 80+K kms, before selling the car. I never had any issues. There used to be road noise, but ignorable one. Then I drove JK Tyres(OEM) on my swift for nearly 14K kms, real bad tyres, interms of breaking and road noise. Now I have Michlean for last 5 K Kms, I am very happy with breaking and noise.

You can go for MRF, in my experince they are good tyres with great mileage(read VFM). I never had any issues with that for nearly 6 years and only 3 punctures

regards,
-manju
Old 18th December 2007, 20:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

than you all for the advice. I have decided to go for Michelin Energy XM-1s.
Old 23rd December 2007, 00:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tyre buying experience

Well I went and got myself some new tyres today. I went to a Michelin dealer near Khan Market (In Sujan Singh Park across from MacD's) called Sham Auto.

I wanted Michelin Energy XM-1s and one size up from my stock 175/65 R14 tyres viz. 185/60 R14 for my Honda City. As it turned out the dealer didn't have any tyres with an aspect ratio of 60. He said I should take 185/65 instead, which is what he puts on Honda City's, with the added benefit of increased ground clearance.

Now, with all my research on Team BHP and carbibles.com, I knew the correct upsizes with the correct rolling radius were 185/60 or 195/60 - he didn't have either. In fact, he said, Yokohama had stopped selling tyres with an aspect ratio of 60 in India.

If I really wanted he could get me Michelins in the size I wanted from the company but it would take two hours. I didn't have the time, so I said skip the upsize, just give me stock size XM1's. He didn't have those either. Only 185/65.

He had Yoko's and Bridgestone in stock sizes. But they don't have the XM1's silica compound, I protested. At this dealer called up a Yoko sales guy who happened to be in the vicinity to explain more about their tyres. This person showed me a presentation that implied that the Aspec A300s that I was considering did have sort of silica in them. All Yoko's have it, he said.

Hence I ended up buying the Yoko A300s in stock size. You know that they say about best laid plans going awry!

While I was waiting for the tyres to be changed I started chatting with the sales guy and told him Yoko needs to do a little more to get the word out about their tyres - I didn't know about the silica bit for example (unless that was just a sales ploy). And they need a good website, I told him, customers are smart nowadays especially with forums like TBHP around. He smiled and said he knew all about TBHP and had met iraghava!

I'm not unhappy with my purchase. The tyres are very silent - miles ahead of my OE GoodYear GPS2s. I just wish I'd got the size I wanted.

Last edited by StarScream : 23rd December 2007 at 00:45. Reason: grammar
Old 23rd December 2007, 17:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ahaa..so it was you. Gaurav did tell me that he met you. Glad to know you're happy with the tyres.
Old 23rd December 2007, 19:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Iraghava, I've hardly driven with them since the change. But like I said preliminary impressions suggest they are way better than the old Goodyears - much quieter.
Do you know anything about the A300s having silica? Does that make them comparable to the XM-1s?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks