Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2007, 10:31   #1
BHPian

Tubeless or tube type for wagonR without PS

Hi guys

I know that it may be already discussed, and I did some research in the forum on the same, still confused. What I think is the tubeless is the better one, but one mechanic said it not good for bangalore roads and maintanace is difficult. My wagonR has no power steering and standard size is 145/70R13. The next size available in the tube type is 155/65R13 73S and on tubeless is 165/60R13 73H. I want you guys to suggest which one suites for me as there is no power steering and whats the price difference between the two(excluding MAG wheels )
Old 9th December 2007, 10:50   #2
BHPian

Hi English,

I have a similar predicament -not the PS one - not sure how it is affects consideration for upsizing.

1. Tubeless is better. It is more safe in case of a sudden puncture. That was the main reason for my considering tubeless, but not just mechanics - a lot of reputed tire dealers are suggesting me to stick to tube-types. Not sure why. They say the punture wala can't repair them well and that most of the tubeless owners are using tubes in tubeless tires (this is a dangerous thing). I posted in the main tire thread, but no suggestions from tire gurus -- so I have put off the upsize plan for now.

My stock S322 Bridgestone tube-type 155/65 R13 tires do not instill confidence when going in the 80s and doing a few quick overtakes/maneuvers.

2. Tubeless is available in both 155/65R13 ( for eg., Michelin XM1) and like you mentioned 165/60 R13 (eg, Bridgestone Potenza GIII). Tire dealer says stick to 155/65 R13 - 165 will scrape...but I think some Wagon R guys on the forums who have put the 165 one without problems.
Old 9th December 2007, 22:29   #3
BHPian

Hi Johi
Thanks for the input, my primary concern is whether the tubeless will make it difficult to turn the steering as there is no power assistance. Also one of my friends tubeless got punctured recently ; some people say there is no improvement in mileage and its all the gimmick by the MAG wheel lobby. This really confuses. So I expect some advise from people who already experienced the difference. Thanks in advance.

Manu
Old 10th December 2007, 21:57   #4
BHPian

I have tubeless ones on my Zen. It does make it a little bit harder to steer, but improves the handling and the comfort by a lot. You feel as if your suspension is greatly upgraded, and the small pot holes tend to get 'absorbed' very well. AFA mileage goes, there's no change. I believe the driving style affects the mileage more than anything else.

My suggestion - Ask for a test drive on the new tyres, and weigh the pros and cons yourself. I don't think the dealer would mind.

Last edited by amu1983 : 10th December 2007 at 21:58.
Old 10th December 2007, 22:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is do not go for tubeless as your vehicle does not have PS. It will become difficult to manouver the vehicle in traffic. Moreover, I feel you might be using inside city itself. Hence it does not require tubeless tyres.
Old 10th December 2007, 22:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
My suggestion is do not go for tubeless as your vehicle does not have PS. It will become difficult to manouver the vehicle in traffic. Moreover, I feel you might be using inside city itself. Hence it does not require tubeless tyres.
Pray, can you explain the connection between non-PS cars & Tubeless tyres & why it is not recommended to mount Tubeless tyres on vehicle with non-PS steering??
Old 10th December 2007, 23:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by english View Post
Hi guys

I know that it may be already discussed, and I did some research in the forum on the same, still confused. What I think is the tubeless is the better one
Quote:
Please answer iraghava's questions. Really what difference does a tubed/tubeless tyre make with regard to PS or using inside city ?
Old 11th December 2007, 00:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Ridiculous!!! There's absolutely no difference between tubeless and tube-type tyres as far as maneuvering a car goes... I drive a Swift and a Santro (non PS) - both with tubeless tyres - on a regular basis, and the Santro used to have tube-type tyres till about a month ago. I couldn't feel ANY difference at all after the change in tyres as far as maneuverability is concerned. The overall ride quality, on the other hand, has definitely improved.

@english - go for tubeless tyres without any hesitation if the slightly higher cost is not a consideration. That said, do keep in mind that upsizing the tyres will definitely have an effect on maneuverability and that's where the PS/non-PS thing will have to be considered.
Old 11th December 2007, 00:09   #9
gump

The only difference between a tubeless tyre and a tube tyre would be of a tube tyre gets punchered you could get it done for from Rs 50 to Max Rs 100, but when a tubless tyre gets punchered the cost is from Rs300 to Max Rs 500.

This is with my experience in chennnai

Old 11th December 2007, 00:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
The only difference between a tubeless tyre and a tube tyre would be of a tube tyre gets punchered you could get it done for from Rs 50 to Max Rs 100, but when a tubless tyre gets punchered the cost is from Rs300 to Max Rs 500.

This is with my experience in chennnai
Well you're getting fleeced then. Out here a puncture in a tubed tyre costs around Rs.20 to fix while one in a tubeless tyre costs Rs. 50 to fix.
Old 11th December 2007, 04:52   #11
BANNED

This should be one of the funniest thread I've read today.
First of all why should a Non PS vehicle do not have tubeless tires?
And 300Rs to repair a punctured tire? I need to find some word more ridiculous than ridiculous!
Old 11th December 2007, 22:22   #12
BHPian

Thx guys
Its really cool to read the responses. PS came in between the topic as usually we go for an upsize when selecting the tubeless and wanted to stress on that too. From the responses I guess that we wont feel any difference in maneuverability if the size remains the same. I think will go for tubeless then.
Its really interesting to see the difference in puncture repair cost!
Old 12th December 2007, 00:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Manu - If you're going in for the same size, please go for tubeless with your eyes closed (Ok, open them a little to inspect the tyres though ), you won't regret it!
Old 12th December 2007, 00:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well you're getting fleeced then. Out here a puncture in a tubed tyre costs around Rs.20 to fix while one in a tubeless tyre costs Rs. 50 to fix.
i am sure gump has not owned a tubeless tyre before leave alone fix a puncture.

@gump... please make sure you know the facts before posting. The only expensive thing about fixing a flat is the labour.
Old 12th December 2007, 05:37   #15
BANNED

These days some places fix tubeless tire punctures for 20Rs too. Just found a shop yesterday. Does a decent job too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks