Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:24   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,326
Thanked: 6,492 Times
Default Re: Downsizing tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
I just bought the car used ☺. This is in punjab- the land of ridiculous tyres. 14 inch wheels give me the ability to go for a wider sidewall. Hence my question.

what about reduction in unsprung weight? I will be keeping the 195 section just like the stock tyres. Just want to increase the sidewall width.

Can you explain this in some detail?
If I am right, the stock tyre size for the Linea is 195/60/15. This is the best option if you ask me. If you really need more sidewall then the next option is 185/70/14. You need to keep the overall outer dia of the tyre as close to stock as possible. Normally a 3% variation is acceptable.

Unsprung weight will be marginally lower with the 14" Option compared to the 15" one.
Santoshbhat is offline  
Old 3rd July 2014, 07:49   #32
BHPian
 
drsingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 753
Thanked: 621 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

If I am right, the stock tyre size for the Linea is 195/60/15. This is the best option if you ask me. If you really need more sidewall then the next option is 185/70/14. You need to keep the overall outer dia of the tyre as close to stock as possible. Normally a 3% variation is acceptable.

Unsprung weight will be marginally lower with the 14" Option compared to the 15" one.
I changed my tyres to the stock 195/60/15. The GC has gone down and I have scraped the bottom on a few occasions.. I'm going to have to go for the increased GC kit now.
drsingh is offline  
Old 8th September 2019, 19:33   #33
BHPian
 
Rama Naveen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 74
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Downsizing tyres

Guys I got stock alloy and tyre size of 175/65R15.
I would like to downsize 175/65R14 to achieve more comfortable ride.
Please could someone suggest if above would help achieve comfort ride along with cornering stability?

I own Tata Bolt Top end Diesel.
Rama Naveen is offline  
Old 8th September 2019, 20:01   #34
BHPian
 
raystriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 147
Thanked: 340 Times
Default Re: Downsizing tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
Guys I got stock alloy and tyre size of 175/65R15.
I would like to downsize 175/65R14 to achieve more comfortable ride.
Please could someone suggest if above would help achieve comfort ride along with cornering stability?

I own Tata Bolt Top end Diesel.
I'm not a bolt specialist but you just decreased your rim size and did not the ratio of your tire section height vs section width (175/65/15). As it is, 175/65/R14 is physically a smaller tire compared to the 175/65/R15. Decreasing rim size without increasing the ratio should have no affect on ride quality. I checked out the Bolt website, 175/65/14 is an option for the lower trims, weird.

Check out the image I attached below. If what I've learnt so far about cars is correct, the 185/70/R14 should be your best bet.

However, all of it is useless if you have crappy suspension. Another option for you is to get better coilovers/springs, but there's probably none in the aftermarket for the car.

You could always test drive a lower trim Bolt to see how the car wit the 14" rims behaves.

Edit: Yup, as it I thought, Bolt XT sits 11mm higher than the other trims. That, is most definitely due to the larger wheel size while retaining the same height/width ratio.
Attached Thumbnails
Downsizing tyres-untitled.png  


Last edited by raystriker : 8th September 2019 at 20:04.
raystriker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 09:36   #35
BHPian
 
Rama Naveen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 74
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Downsizing tyres

Thanks Raystriker for your analysis.

I wish there had been aftermarket coilovers/spring.

185/70R14, I think steering should be slightly heavy, and drop in mileage but it will increase the ground clearance. The difference in circumference it shows as 1% which is good but just worried if steering becomes heavy.

The lower versions of Bolt drives awesome and great comfort. Just wondering will there be difference in their spring setups.
Rama Naveen is offline  
Old 10th September 2019, 19:55   #36
BHPian
 
raystriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 147
Thanked: 340 Times
Default Re: Downsizing tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
Thanks Raystriker for your analysis.

I wish there had been aftermarket coilovers/spring.

185/70R14, I think steering should be slightly heavy, and drop in mileage but it will increase the ground clearance. The difference in circumference it shows as 1% which is good but just worried if steering becomes heavy.

The lower versions of Bolt drives awesome and great comfort. Just wondering will there be difference in their spring setups.
Depending on how outgoing and determined you are, you could go and ask a Tata technician about it. I couldn't find the Tata bolt parts catalogue online, so your best bet is to ask someone who has experience with the car.


Are you sure your suspension is not broken? 65 height sidewalls should have no problems negotiating with Indian road conditions. Also, I can't imagine they'd mess up the ride quality of the top trim car from the factory.
raystriker is offline  
Old 20th September 2019, 09:12   #37
BHPian
 
Rama Naveen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 74
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Downsizing tyres

Ok finally.
Managed to procure second hand Aura alloy wheels- 14 inch, via olx.
Together with brand new Good year assurance, 175/70R14, looks cool on car.
First impression, pick up is improved , corner stability very nice, acceleration and comfort tooooo great.

A sense of satisfaction and it did put smile on my face.
Rama Naveen is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks