Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 18:05   #1
BHPian

Replace only two worn out tyres

Hi friends,
I need to change the two rear tyres of my scorpio. The original ones are Bridgestone 15" with tube & have done 60K. The car has alloy wheels.

Pardon me for my ignorance when I ask this question - can I go ahead & change only the two worn out ones with Tubeless 15" ones immediately & then change the other ones maybe a month later with the same brand & make. I am thinking of replacing the front wheels with the new tyres & replace the rear ones with the ones in the front wheels. Will this have major impact on the suspension, shockers, ride quality, handling?

Please suggest...
Old 4th January 2008, 19:12   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Hi friends,
I need to change the two rear tyres of my scorpio. The original ones are Bridgestone 15" with tube & have done 60K. The car has alloy wheels.

Pardon me for my ignorance when I ask this question - can I go ahead & change only the two worn out ones with Tubeless 15" ones immediately & then change the other ones maybe a month later with the same brand & make. I am thinking of replacing the front wheels with the new tyres & replace the rear ones with the ones in the front wheels. Will this have major impact on the suspension, shockers, ride quality, handling?

Please suggest...
Technically speaking... all the four tyres should have equal wear and tear for everything like suspension, shockers, ride quality, handling and so on.... thats y after certain period of time we go in for tyre rotation ( cross changing of all four wheels to achieve equal wear and tear )... So changing tyres in unequal time intervals are not adviced...
Old 4th January 2008, 19:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

no problem ,you can go ahead.it wont have any technical issue with the shocks or any related components.ride quality or handling will not be affected too.regards,ram.
Old 4th January 2008, 19:53   #4
BHPian

I second Ram on this. I also did the same with my car, first replaced the front two tyres and later on rear two and finally the spare one. The total duration of this was 3 months and I didn't face any issue whatsoever.
Old 4th January 2008, 20:15   #5
BHPian

Its better to have newer tyres in rear.
Old 4th January 2008, 20:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzme View Post
Its better to have newer tyres in rear.
WHAT .With the pathetic brakes the scorpio has 2 new tyres in the rear and bad tyres in the front will lead to the front wheels locking up now and then without much of a reduction in speed.
Cars which have disc brakes in the front only should always have good tyres in the front otherwise u ll end up inside some car.
Old 4th January 2008, 20:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
WHAT .With the pathetic brakes the scorpio has 2 new tyres in the rear and bad tyres in the front will lead to the front wheels locking up now and then without much of a reduction in speed.
Cars which have disc brakes in the front only should always have good tyres in the front otherwise u ll end up inside some car.
Dont get shocked...

Most of mishaps due to emergency braking happens due to fistailing....
How it happens? YOu always have steering in the front to control your vehicle but you dont have any measure to control rear of your vehicle.
When you have newer tyres in front fishtailing happens in the rear...

Please search net for "where to put new tyres" i am sure you will get more info about it ..
Old 4th January 2008, 20:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzme View Post
Dont get shocked...

Most of mishaps due to emergency braking happens due to fistailing....
How it happens? YOu always have steering in the front to control your vehicle but you dont have any measure to control rear of your vehicle.
When you have newer tyres in front fishtailing happens in the rear...

Please search net for "where to put new tyres" i am sure you will get more info about it ..
Steering your vehicle with what?bald tyres?ur not steering much anyway then.Fishtaling is something that will happen at high speeds.Braking is something that happens at any speeds.
If u brake hard at 40 in a car like scorpio with bald tyres ur not going to stop anyway in time.
'Most mishaps due to emergency braking happen due to fistailing'
i dont know about that but if u dont have any grip in the front tyres which are the only ones that have disc brakes your car just wont stop.
Old 4th January 2008, 21:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio is a RWD.
New tyres should be put in the rear..
Old 4th January 2008, 23:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its fishtaling vs braking/steering.I would choose the later. Its upto U.Cheers.
Old 4th January 2008, 23:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Actually the choice is between Understeer & Oversteer here since the Scorpio is mainly a RWD. Any decent driver should know how to modulate a vehicle's brakes to ensure that he does not lock them up under braking apart from maybe freak emergency instances.

Given that newer tyres at the rear will provide better traction especially when the vehicle is a RWD, I would recommend you use the new ones at the rear & switch the least two worn out tyres to the front. However, since your stock tyres have already done 60k kms, I would recommend repalcing all of them since they're anyway beyond their prime.
Old 5th January 2008, 12:28   #12
BHPian

Please go through these links

Michelin car tyres company : new tyre
MICHELIN'S DRIVING AMERICA'S SAFETY INITIATIVE EMPOWERS YOU TO M Video

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks