Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 00:48   #46
BHPian

Try Appollo Accelere, niether hard like MRF nor soft like imported ones, just right combination of both for Indian roads.
Old 11th June 2009, 09:53   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Try Appollo Accelere, niether hard like MRF nor soft like imported ones, just right combination of both for Indian roads.
Not really. They are quite susceptible to bad maintainence. Just like the Michelins. I've seen quite a few complaints for the Acceleres. Not the manufacturer's fault, but you cant use them like how you use the MRF/JK tyres.
Old 11th June 2009, 12:40   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Not really. They are quite susceptible to bad maintainence. Just like the Michelins. I've seen quite a few complaints for the Acceleres. Not the manufacturer's fault, but you cant use them like how you use the MRF/JK tyres.
Why not the Stock Goodyears? On the Ford Fusion Group no one complains about the stock Goodyears. They can easily last 40,000+ km and upto 50,000 as well. They grip good, last long and don't cost a bomb to replace!
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:55   #49

Tyre Upgrade for Ford Fusion 1.6 Petrol

Hi Guys,
I have searched the forum for correct tyre size and their types (comfortable/performance). It seems Michelin XM1/XM1+ will be the right fit for me.
But my question is how much comfort or noise will improve if i switch stock goodyear tyres with michelin ones. Also it looks like michelin is very costly, is there any other alternatives? It will be great if you can suggest me some sizes as well.

Finally, In hyderabad which dealer should i trust, also in terms of good exchange rate for my stock tyres which has done 14K KMs.

Thanks,
Apratim
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:10   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apratimg View Post
But my question is how much comfort or noise will improve if i switch stock goodyear tyres with michelin ones.
You want improved noise

I suggest Yokohama V550 in 205/60/R15 size for a silent and comfortable ride with decent grip levels. Should cost you approx. Rs.5100/tyre
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:37   #51

Sorry for the Typo..

Sorry about the Typo.. what i really meant was to reduce noise. Thanks for your suggestion, any idea how much i can get for my tyres, otherwise 5K a peice will bust my budget through the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
You want improved noise

I suggest Yokohama V550 in 205/60/R15 size for a silent and comfortable ride with decent grip levels. Should cost you approx. Rs.5100/tyre
Old 5th September 2009, 13:19   #52
BHPian

Hi Folks,
I am also looking for the same info. I want to change the footwear of my Fusion. I want to stick with the stock size( 195/60/R15). I know Michelin Primacy LC is available in that size. I would like to know the options from Bridgestone and Yokohama in that size.

What is approx price of Bridgestone and Yoko options?
Any pointers to good Tyre shops in Hyderabad?
Can I sell my 32k run Goodyear GT3s to the Tyre dealer?

TIA
-Matt
Old 10th September 2009, 15:22   #53
BHPian

Does Yokohama have an Indian website? and Any options from Conti for stock size of Fusion?
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:27   #54
BHPian

Time for a Tyre Change on my Fusion

Before Heading out to JC Road:

Stock Goodyear GT3 195/60R15 (cost around 2700 a piece when last checked)?

Would love to "upgrade" to 205/60R15 for several reasons including:

1. Looks (who wouldn't )
2. Better GC (more is never enough).
3. Better ride and grip (esp in dry).

But some negatives too:

1. Work out to around 4500 a piece so the premium is significantly high. May not be worth it.
2. Add to that higher GC may impact handling
3. Mileage may reduce.

Next (longish) post after the visit to JC Road.
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:31   #55
BHPian

After a visit to JC Road

Did pay a visit to JC Road yesterday afternoon. A waste of fine siesta time

Ended up as confused as I was before I made the trip. Investigated all shops from Sai Iyengar and Sons (Lalbagh road) to Cherry Agencies and the Apollo, MRF and other Branded shops all over the road.

And the findings. The prices vary like the ups and downs of the Sensex. Shops quote different prices on the very same brand and size of tyre in different shops. Prices varying over a 1000 rupees on a single tyre. And people buy! There are no patterns or such. People quote what they wish.

These are what I remember:

195/60R15

1. Goodyear GT3 (stock): 3100-4000
2. Bridgestone: 4000-5000
3. Apollo Accelere: 3100-3900
4. Yokohama: 3900-4900

205/60R15

1. Goodyear Assurance*: 4500-4900
2. Bridgestone: ~4500
3. Apollo: ~3700
4. Yokohama: 4500-5000
5. Cooper ATP Zeon**: 4000
6. Maxxis***: 3550

205/55R15

1. Yokohama S Drive: 4500 (Sai Iyengar)

Interestingly I called up Tyre Empire (Tyre Empire| Extends a warm Healty Welcome to you...)
later in the evening and found that their prices are lower (significantly) at times than what quoted by everyone else. This was claimed by the owner of the place when I was there in July end!

Interesting notes from the excursion:

*: Goodyear Assurance: This one seems to be a nice tyre. With advanced materials like silica based compound, kevlar cords and 3D waffle blades, seems like a nice tyre to have. Check out Assurance and New Goodyear Assurance with ArmorGrip Technology . Seems to be an answer to the
Michelins and BSs around. Won awards too: 2005 Industrial Design Excellence Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

**: Cooper ATP Zeon: This tyre is highly recommended (hard sold) by Cherry Agencies (http://www/cherryagencies.com). They are so confident of it that they give a year's replacement (no Qs asked) warranty against any tread/sidewall damage and stone cuts. An American tyre major, this line is specially developed for Asian conditions and may be manufactured in the Far East/China. Of course they also stock US made tyres in different sizes. Checkout:
CooperTires . What do you guys
feel?

***: Maxxis: This brand manufactured in Thailand and Taiwan has grown from the largest manufacturer of bicycle tyres in the world! Seller seems very confident of the tyre. One of these
and the manufacturer: Cheng Shin Rubber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well so what do you suggest?

Next post after a visit to Tyre Empire.

Last edited by Glifford : 22nd September 2009 at 20:33. Reason: Updated URL
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:36   #56
BHPian

After a visit to Tyre Empire, Whitefield

Prices from a visit to Tyre Empire (Tyre Empire| Extends a warm Healty Welcome to you...)

Goodyear 195/60R15 Rs. 2700 odd (Made in India)
Bridgestone 195/60R15 Rs. 4200 odd (Made in India)
Michelin Primacy LC 195/60R15 Rs. 4650 odd (made in China)

Goodyear Assurance 205/60R15 Rs. 4500 odd.

Then I did some research. Found that the Goodyear 205/65R15 (Innova size as 205/60R15 was not in stock currently) was actually lighter than the BS and the (Stock) GY GT3 195/60R15. Reason: Polyamide (Kevlar) cords in tread.

The only other tyre I saw having this ply was the Michelin Primacy LC. Even BS and Yokos didn't.

So now the choice is between GY stock or GY Assurance (increasingly bending towards Assurance). Not sure if the premium is worth it!

What do you guys feel?

Last edited by Glifford : 22nd September 2009 at 20:36. Reason: Updated URL
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:56   #57
BHPian

FYI.
I went with Michelin Primacy LC and difference is astonishing. No more tyre noise, low speed ride has improved considerably. To me its worth the premium. I have not yet checked the high speed handling and heavy braking. Once the tyre has covered 250 Kms I will try that.

EDIT:
speed rating of stock size GY Assurance is 88H not the required 88V. I am not sure how important that is going to be.

Last edited by Matt : 22nd September 2009 at 22:03. Reason: more info
Old 26th September 2009, 15:43   #58
BHPian

Goodyear Assurance or Excellence?

Thanks to WasavaTyres, managed to get across to Goodyear. (SMSing Assurance to 56767)

Managed to get the Name and Number of the main Goodyear dealer in Bangalore.

General Tyres, (Opp Bank of India, JC Road, Bangalore).
080-22238620
080-22237135

Spoke to Mr. Francis and the prices seemed attractive. Went there today.

On the way stopped at Cherry Agencies to check Cooper again. The sales man as usual was very nice and opened the tyre to show me.

Found the tyre heavy and rubber hard, very hard. He showed me the brochure which said that Cooper Zeon ATP are Acoustic Touring Performance Tyres that are designed for low noise and long life. Something I not necessarily want (would prefer grip to life). One thing really good in the tyre is the rim flange protector that will protect alloys rims from hitting the curb. These too come with 100% replacement guarantee.

Went to General Tyres then.

Met Mr. Francis. Nice guy. Showed me the tyres. There happen to be two models in the size I am looking for. (actually 3, Eagle F1 GSD3 as well)

Assurance and Excellence

Goodyear Assurance 205/60R15 : Rs. 4100, Made in Malaysia (lighter, softer than Stock GT3)
Goodyear Excellence 205/60R15 : Rs. 3900, Made in China (Assymetric Pattern)

Both come with Worry Free Warranty till 50% Tread life (including sidewall cuts etc) or 3 years from manufacture (whichever comes first)!

Now I have to decide between the two! Help!

Excellence has a great looking asymmetric tread that looks very sporty. The Assurance is plain-jane, non directional, symmetric.

Excellence has harder rubber and is heavier as compared to Assurance. It is slightly larger too. Excellence doesn't have Kevlar, Assurance does.

Assurance feels like it flexes more too.

Not sure which I will go for, hence need suggestions. Looks, base price: Excellence; Everything else: Assurance.

Add to that Assurance has a promotion of a Reebok watch worth 2599 on a purchase of 4 tyres. Will try to negotiate it out for a discount instead of the watch, if no choice however, will take the watch.

I like the pattern of Excellence, but assurance seems a better choice in many respects. Soft and light and has proven track record in handling and braking.

(Partial Crosspost here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1502998 )

Last edited by Glifford : 26th September 2009 at 16:01. Reason: Corrected URLs to India. They were pointing to Malaysia!
Old 27th September 2009, 19:13   #59
Team-BHP Support

I recently changed my tyres for Fusion+ after 55K. The standard Goodyear GT3 served me well. I wanted to update to Primacy LC, but backed off due to 100% price difference. Besides I did not have enough reasons to go for Michelin. I was pretty happy with Goodyear.

My updates at Saii Iyengar@Indiranagar costed my about 12K (As against 20K for Michelin).
Old 28th September 2009, 00:33   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I recently changed my tyres for Fusion+ after 55K. The standard Goodyear GT3 served me well. I wanted to update to Primacy LC, but backed off due to 100% price difference. Besides I did not have enough reasons to go for Michelin. I was pretty happy with Goodyear.

My updates at Saii Iyengar@Indiranagar costed my about 12K (As against 20K for Michelin).
True. Michelin is managing to getaway with significant premium. Maybe because they are new and people associate them with the former F1 participation or maybe they offer hefty dealer margins and hence pushed hard!

Either way. I wanted a slight upsize. So 205/60 it is. And these Assurances will cost me less than what the Primacy LCs will. So let's see!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks