Team-BHP - Query : Tubeless tires / Normal Tires
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Query : Tubeless tires / Normal Tires (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/34192-query-tubeless-tires-normal-tires.html)

I was in the process of upgrading tires of my car Zen vxi ( 2003 Model, 48000km on odo ), I was confused between tubeless tire and Normal tires, As per my understanding Tubeless tires doesn’t have tubes then question is how do these tires gets punctures ? what is a way to fix it ? In case If I am planning to ahead with Normal tires which brand shd I opt, I don’t want to compromise on drive and Efficiency

TIA

Regards,
Jitendra

Searching was the way out. Anyways-
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicejits (Post 686181)
As per my understanding Tubeless tires doesn’t have tubes then question is how do these tires gets punctures ?

Tubeless tyres wont explode suddenly like tubed tyres, if that is what you meant. But, it will get punctured if something like a nail pierces through it. The loss of air from the tyre will however be gradual.
Quote:

what is a way to fix it ?

Tubeless tyre repair kits are available.
Quote:

In case If I am planning to ahead with Normal tires which brand shd I opt, I don’t want to compromise on drive and Efficiency

I would recommend you to go in for tubeless tyres.

Hi Crazy driver,

Thx for your suggestion but as per your post Tubeless gets puncture and Tubeless tire repair kits are available. now question is whats the cost of Tubeless tire repair kit ? Normal roadside puncture guy can repair it ? any idea abt its charges ? and most imp question is how much these tires cost ? i have stock RIMs, can these tires be fitted ion same RIM
? and what is price difference between normal tire and tubeless one ?

In case you would like to suggest normal tire what brand will you suggest ? and Can somebody upgrade 2 tire first then other one (as two tires are in very good shape)?

HI. It looks like the first tyre upgrade for your zen. Go for tubeless and get all 4/5 replaced. Its a good practice.
Also the next time you give it for servicing at every 10000 kms, get a tyre rotation done. In this way all tyres wear evenly and the tyre life also increases. Tubeless can be repaired by most roadside puncture repair guys, and is relatively simpler than the tubed ones. You can get a good tybeless puncture repair kit from an accessory shop. Should cost in the region of 300 Rs. Keep this with you and in case there is a puncture and the repair guy does not have the kit with him(Most unlikely), you can still give your kit to work on your tyre.

And tubeless can be fit on OEM rims as well. Just ensure there are no bends on the rims else there is a chance of air escaping from the gap between rim and tyre. Its much safer than tubed tyres and do not burst from high pressure or a puncture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicejits (Post 686228)
Hi Crazy driver,

Thx for your suggestion but as per your post Tubeless gets puncture and Tubeless tire repair kits are available. now question is whats the cost of Tubeless tire repair kit ? Normal roadside puncture guy can repair it ? any idea abt its charges ? and most imp question is how much these tires cost ? i have stock RIMs, can these tires be fitted ion same RIM
? and what is price difference between normal tire and tubeless one ?

In case you would like to suggest normal tire what brand will you suggest ? and Can somebody upgrade 2 tire first then other one (as two tires are in very good shape)?

tubeless tyres are better my friend. go for tubeless as they dont burst at sudden . you can drive your car upto 70 km with a punctured tubeless tyre by just filling air and get it repaired when u have time.tubeless tyre repair kits are cheap . yes these tyres are easy to repair as you can repair them on your own also without taking the tyre out of rim. i think they can be fitted in the stock rims ,not sure. but i suggest you to go for alloys as they are best suited with alloys. tubeless tyres cost not much more than normal tyres only a price difference of about 2-300. and one thing more you can also use these tubeless tyres as normal tyres by putting a tube in it. one of my cars tyre got a damage on a side wall which was not repairable so i got a tube in it now its working fine without any problem. so better go for tubeless tyres.......

NiceJits! I second the opinion of others about going for tubeless tires compared to tires with tube. Infact you can as well place a tube in tubeless tire as well as "harry" mentioned.
It goes well with a good set of alloys and even if a nail or other piercing object is stuck in the tire the air leaks out slowly and i personally had seen one of my friend's zen with a tubeless tire having a nail stuck in it without any leakage though.
I would also advise you to go for tubeless tires, for better grips,better feel of the vehicle with Michelin and Bridgestone being the popular choices.

I just got 2 tyres changed in my esteem and got tubeless fitted on my steel rims. I am running front tubeless and rear tubed 322. The spare tyre is also a tubless Hanook. In Delhi the tubeless typres are cheaper than the tubed ones. I got Goodyears and they costed Rs.1900 a piece, the Dunlop was Rs.1600. Whereas the tubed tyres are much expensive and you have to put in tube as well...

Even if your rims do not support them, then simply use a tubeless tyre like a tubed tyre, i.e. just put in the tube and use it.

I also saw a mini air compressor, it was around Rs.400 and it can be plugged into Lighter/Charger Socket and you can actually refill the tyres on the spo

Like most have mentioned, tubeless tyres are the way to go. Not that much more expensive, and worth every extra paise you spend on them. Reasons have already been mentioned, so not repeating them. Having used both tubed and tubeless, I will never go back to the former.

Tube type tyres are a thing of past now,slowly even most cars come fitted with tubeless tyres and tubeless puncture can be repaired anywhere nowdays.

My drive has been on tubless tyres/alloys. Was wondering, is the fifth tyre in the boot, a must when you are on tubless tyres. My fifth tyre apparently is stock and not on alloys.Will it be a wise idea to get rid of the tyre in the boot, and do my sub installation out there. I got into this, as i have driven my drive with a nail deep inside it and did a mending after almost a week, with very little air pressure reduced. In fact happened twice on both my rear tyres.:eek:. Guru's please advice on this, might be i am acting a bitstupid:...after all i am a newbie..

Tubeless tyres get my vote, much more safer and better than tube tyres!

agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsmind (Post 1339299)
My drive has been on tubless tyres/alloys. Was wondering, is the fifth tyre in the boot, a must when you are on tubless tyres. My fifth tyre apparently is stock and not on alloys.Will it be a wise idea to get rid of the tyre in the boot, and do my sub installation out there. I got into this, as i have driven my drive with a nail deep inside it and did a mending after almost a week, with very little air pressure reduced. In fact happened twice on both my rear tyres.:eek:. Guru's please advice on this, might be i am acting a bitstupid:...after all i am a newbie..

While you have a valid point, what will you do in case you hit a stone or something and the tyre itself gets cut? In such a case, your spare will be invaluable.

Also, most subs dont really fit properly in place of the spare tyre. I dont recommend y ou dispensing with the spare tyre altogether.

Thanks nikhil, so i keep the spare tyre i the boot and do a normal enclosure sub installation.