Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2008, 20:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Prince - Are you still waiting for the review or are you done with the upgrade??
Old 9th February 2008, 23:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Prince - Are you still waiting for the review or are you done with the upgrade??
Hey Ishan, I am in Mangalore as of now and yes am definately on the lookout for more help and advice as i will be going ahead with the upgrade as soon as i come back on the 20th of this month. My doubts as mentioned in Post#15 of this thread still persist

Cheers
Old 10th February 2008, 00:07   #18
BHPian

Go for plus 1 upsize instead

Try Falken. They make quality tyres at affordable prices. Stick with the stock size tyre or do a plus zero upsize to 215/55 R16 low profiles. They will make the alloys look better. If I were you, I would forget about the Enkei alloys(the SX4 model costs only 5000Rs per wheel) and go for 17 inch Lenso Samurai wheels and 215/50 R17 low profile tyres. I am looking to go for an upgrade myself. Try not to go for low profile tyres with your stock alloys. Your overall wheel diameter might decrease and make your car look ugly as that would increase the already huge gap between the wheel wells and tyres. But if you could get hold of some good lowering springs and lower the suspension, then that would be really cool!
Old 10th February 2008, 01:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
I went to Saifee Tires in Juhu today and they do have the Yokohama ES501 for 5.8k per piece as well as the Michelin MXV8 for a whopping 8k per piece Now i would like to know how do these 2 tires compare?
Prince - Both these tyres are comfort based tyres which will give you an excellent combination of comfort & low road noise. Performance & Grip however, will be lower than offered by sports tyres like the PP2's or the S-Drives.

Overall, both are excellent tyres for our conditions.
Old 10th February 2008, 10:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Prince - Both these tyres are comfort based tyres which will give you an excellent combination of comfort & low road noise. Performance & Grip however, will be lower than offered by sports tyres like the PP2's or the S-Drives.

Overall, both are excellent tyres for our conditions.
I think MXV8s are more than 7 year old way past their glory..
Old 10th February 2008, 20:58   #21

Let me advise you that if the correct tyre size is 205/60R 16 for SX 4 then you should not change the tyre sizes to any other tyre size except 215/55R 16, which will keep the over all diameter of the original tyre the same. This will not make any changes in the centre of gravity of the vehicle. Do not go for V shaped tyres as they are directional patterns and you will face difficulties once you have punctures and need to change to spares. The outer side of the tyres always remain the same but when changed from right to left, the rolling direction is on the wrong side.

Try asymmetrical patterns which perform better than V shaped tyres. Tyres should be changed for better performance and not for looks. Try PIRELLI Tyres in the market as they have a much better range of tyres available in India than Michelin or Yokohama.
Old 11th February 2008, 12:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay_delhi View Post
Let me advise you that if the correct tyre size is 205/60R 16 for SX 4 then you should not change the tyre sizes to any other tyre size except 215/55R 16, which will keep the over all diameter of the original tyre the same. This will not make any changes in the centre of gravity of the vehicle. Do not go for V shaped tyres as they are directional patterns and you will face difficulties once you have punctures and need to change to spares. The outer side of the tyres always remain the same but when changed from right to left, the rolling direction is on the wrong side.

Try asymmetrical patterns which perform better than V shaped tyres. Tyres should be changed for better performance and not for looks. Try PIRELLI Tyres in the market as they have a much better range of tyres available in India than Michelin or Yokohama.
Pardon my ignorance but i learnt 225/55R16 is a better upsize for 205/60 R16 as the OD difference is minimum.
Old 28th June 2008, 14:37   #23

Yokohama ES501

Dear friend, i think Yoko ES501 will be better choice becoz of complete package of Handling, Silence, Comfort, Tracktion.
Old 30th June 2008, 12:54   #24

Dear Friend,

The center of gravity depends on the height of the vehicle, when the car is cornering the higher the center of gravity more chances of it overturning or losing grip on the road. This is why, with a SUV which is much taler than a car cannot corner on high speed.

The height of the tyre will help in improving the center of gravity.

I am forwarding the range of the Over all diameter of each tyre in question.

205/ 50 R 16 ( OE to SX 4 ) OD is 610 to 616 mm. ( Depending on the tyre manufacturers product. )

215/55 R 16 the OD is 640 to 645 mm.

225/55R 16 the OD is 650 to 657 mm.

ETRTO ( European tyre manufacturers Technical association) allows you to use tyres under a range of -3 % / +2% of the corresponding ( OE ) tyre.

Not only the OD, you must also see the rim's section width, if it is within limits increasing the width of the tyres and not increasing the width of the rims, will create a problem on fast wear on the shoulder area.

Keeping in mind all the above you should try to fit the best available tyre in the range and I suggest you should fit 215/55R 16 as a replacement of 205/50R 16.

Another thing - there is no tyre in the world which will give you every thing - Comfort, Handling, Silence, Traction etc. It is combination of many factors while producing the tyres will help in improving some benefits. If you want grip the tyre will be noisy because higher the grip - higher the friction and higher the friction will bring more noise. Less noise means less grip. A softer compound will wear faster, but will be very good in grip, comfort and less punctures. A harder tyre will create less grip and a very long life.

If you want to select a tyre which has good grip select tyre brand which are fitted on car which run on very high speeds like Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. If you want to use a tyre with good comfort select brands which are fitted on luxury cars. Like BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc. ( This is for tyre users who do not know much about tyres )
Old 30th June 2008, 14:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay_delhi View Post
Dear Friend,

205/ 50 R 16 ( OE to SX 4 ) OD is 610 to 616 mm. ( Depending on the tyre manufacturers product. )

215/55 R 16 the OD is 640 to 645 mm.

225/55R 16 the OD is 650 to 657 mm.

ETRTO ( European tyre manufacturers Technical association) allows you to use tyres under a range of -3 % / +2% of the corresponding ( OE ) tyre.

Not only the OD, you must also see the rim's section width, if it is within limits increasing the width of the tyres and not increasing the width of the rims, will create a problem on fast wear on the shoulder area.

Keeping in mind all the above you should try to fit the best available tyre in the range and I suggest you should fit 215/55R 16 as a replacement of 205/50R 16.
( This is for tyre users who do not know much about tyres )
A correction Mr.Sanjay, SX4 ZXI comes with a stock tyre size of 205-60-R16 and not 205-50-R16 like you say.
Old 7th July 2008, 11:24   #26

Quote:
A correction Mr.Sanjay, SX4 ZXI comes with a stock tyre size of 205-60-R16 and not 205-50-R16 like you say.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake, If the correct size is 205/60R 16 then the OD for this size is 654 to 660 mm.

In this case the correct replacement will be 225/55R 16.
Old 8th July 2008, 03:22   #27
JRD
BHPian

205/60/r16 Goodyear F1 eagle D3. Tones of grip!!

Quote:
Guys, i am in a huge fix as i want to change the JK Vectras which come OE in the SX4 Zxi as soon as possible. I want top retain the original Enkei Alloys though

I have a huge craze for V threaded tires coz i think they look really hot . But i have no clue which make and model to go in for which will be availabe in the stock size of 205/60/R16. Yokohama, Michelin, Bridgestone and Goodyear will be preferred (in that order).

Car has just done 50kms and i am not using the car coz i want to get the maximum possible return for the current set when i go in to change (thats why its really urgent).

Priorities are a mix of performance and comfort and ofcourse if possible then the beautiful V thread pattern will be preferred........... something like the Yokohama AVS ES100, AVS Sport and the Goodyear Eagle F1's.

Gurus, kindly recommend some options which will be available for my requirements and what will be the price range??

Cheers
Old 8th July 2008, 16:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
205/60/r16 Goodyear F1 eagle D3. Tones of grip!!
I don't think Goodyear Eagle F1 D3's are available it that size!
Old 8th July 2008, 21:27   #29
Team-BHP Support

dude 215/55 s-drives will be the best bet. or even in 225.
Old 8th July 2008, 23:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
dude 215/55 s-drives will be the best bet. or even in 225.
Hi akshay, could you please confirm if the Yokohama S-Drives are available in that size? either 215-55-R16 or 225-55-R16?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks