Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 23:40   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Hi akshay, could you please confirm if the Yokohama S-Drives are available in that size? either 215-55-R16 or 225-55-R16?
ishan or kp should be able to tell you. afaik they are available in 55 profile
Old 8th July 2008, 23:53   #32
BHPian

Yokohama Tire

215/55R16
&
225/55R16
Old 9th July 2008, 00:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Hi akshay, could you please confirm if the Yokohama S-Drives are available in that size? either 215-55-R16 or 225-55-R16?
Rajkumar ji, according to me they are not available in either size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post
Yokohama Tire

215/55R16
&
225/55R16
Dude, we're talking about availability in the Indian market not abroad.
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Rs. 2750 premium worth it for Michelin Primacy LC over Yoko ES 501?

Can the gurus tell me whether there is a significant difference between Primacy LC and Yoko ES 501? I already got some inputs from Nikhil (thanks, Nikhil!), but was wondering why there is such a price difference - and whether the extra bucks are worth it.

Also, can someone tell me whether Pilot Primacy has been discontinued, or whether new(ish) stocks are still available? I read here that Pilot Primacy would give better performance than Primacy LC.
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:58   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Pilot Primacy is no longer being marketed in India. There may be some old stocks available. That size is to be taken over by Primacy LC. Pilot Primacy is what comes as OE on Merc E Class.

Now, for the SX4 upsize, I would list the following options with my opinions for 225/55 R16.

1). Yoko ES501. Cheapest of the bunch but doesnt seem to be a great tyre. super silent with good comfort, but seems to be bad at handling corners. Probably best for chauffeur driven cars.

Yokohama AVS V550 Tyres Reviews Australia www.yokohama.com.au This is a review of the V550, but the reviewer says it's at least better than the ES501 which was supposed to be rubbish.

Pitstop Singapore - Yokohama DNA DB ES501 (2008)

2). Michelin Primacy LC. Decent tyre. Most expensive of the lot. 9.35k per tyre. Very comfortable, low noise but not great in the handling department. This is something I can vouch for personally. Handling is just about ok.

3). Bridgestone GR 80: not available anywhere in India. Will cost about 9k for the 225/55 R16 size if it's available. It's an old tyre anyway and I think it's being phased out for something new. In any case, here's an old review.

Burning rubber . . . and lovin' it! - Star-Motoring

I found this review of the GR 80. But it is 3 years old. Which means, they tested it with ancient Michelin tyres. Also, this test was sponsored and conducted by Bridgestone. The tyres seem to be good, but nothing great for the price.

Michelin Primacy LC is the latest tyre by Michelin and I'm sure they werent tested in that event which is written about in the review.

4). Continental ContiPremiumContact2. CPC2. The darkhorse in this bunch. Seems to be the best tyre going by various online reviews. Also, went through a forum, where people seem to rate the CPC2 highly.

Michelin Primacy Lc - Autoworld Forum

Contipremiumcontact 2 Receives Recommendation

Prices:

Yoko Es501: 7.2k
Michelin Primacy LC: 9.35k
Continental: Around 7.7k
Bridgestone around 9k.

I would say it comes down to the Conti vs the Michelin. If you include price into this, I say the Conti wins hands down. All the more when you compare the prices abroad where the CPC2 is much more expensive.

Tyre Guide Winners | Auto Express

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 23rd July 2009 at 15:03.
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Nikhil for the informative post. After your PM, I did some Googling about the Conti CPC2, and came across the Auto Express link. The CPC 2 seems to be rather good. Am favoring the Conti CPC2 now. Will talk to you soon. Just hoping that the CPC2 can handle occassional bad roads.
Old 15th August 2009, 12:13   #37

Hey friend, I think u need a sporty tyres with good look. Yoo can try Yoko's 205/55 R16 S.drive which is regular cum sporty tyres.
Yo can also try Goodyear Eagle F1 but its like street tyres, in this case Yoko's Advan Neova will be better choice.

Thanks
Old 17th November 2009, 18:03   #38
BHPian

New shoes for SX4

Hi BHPians,

I would like to know the best tire for my SX4. Iam planning on a Michelin or Apollo acelere sportz. My preferable upsize is 225/55R16 or 215/60R16.

The JK Vectra which came as a OE is SURPRISING. It was good with a bit of road noise only till now. During this rain when I hit a water patch the car just glided as if floating on the water without any kind of contact to the road. You have to drive it to believe, its as if all the tires hit a banana pear at the same moment. I tried it again to find the same result. I have had a share of experience with aquaplanning, but this is totally different, no braking, no speed change, no change in direction, its just as you cruise in a staight line and hit a water patch.

When I inspected the tire , I found the tread worn out regularly and still around 4-5 mm tread left. The only thing is that the water channels in the outermost tread is less than a mm. I feel that the water which hits the centre of the tire is not able to get out through the sides because of this. If the tire design was that the outer chanel was a little bit deeper i could have easily run the tires for another 7-10 thousand kms. Opinion please.

Dr.Jones

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th November 2009 at 18:20. Reason: Minor formatting and Preview before submitting helps with readability. Thanks
Old 17th November 2009, 18:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Hi BHPians,

I would like to know the best tire for my SX4. Iam planning on a Michelin or Apollo acelere sportz. My preferable upsize is 225/55R16 or 215/60R16.

The JK Vectra which came as a OE is SURPRISING. It was good with a bit of road noise only till now. During this rain when I hit a water patch the car just glided as if floating on the water without any kind of contact to the road. You have to drive it to believe, its as if all the tires hit a banana pear at the same moment. I tried it again to find the same result. I have had a share of experience with aquaplanning, but this is totally different, no braking, no speed change, no change in direction, its just as you cruise in a staight line and hit a water patch.

When I inspected the tire , I found the tread worn out regularly and still around 4-5 mm tread left. The only thing is that the water channels in the outermost tread is less than a mm. I feel that the water which hits the centre of the tire is not able to get out through the sides because of this. If the tire design was that the outer chanel was a little bit deeper i could have easily run the tires for another 7-10 thousand kms. Opinion please.

Dr.Jones
I owned a SX4 before and the stock JK tyres were crappy.. excessive noise.. a correct upsize would be 215/60 R16.. 225/55/16 would kill the ride quality as well as FE.. Go for Michelin XM1+ .. and if your main purpose is to lower the noise and preserve FE, go for Michelin Primacy LC, though it would be pricer...
Old 17th November 2009, 18:35   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

iTNerd --- Please review your facts before posting.

205/60 R16 is the OEM size and it has a sidewall height of 123mm. 225/55 R16 has a sidewall height of 123.75mm which is actually more. So, technically ride quality will be BETTER. Of course, the imrpovement will be minute and may not even be felt.

Secondly, there is no XM1+ in 16". There is only Michelin Primacy LC and PP2s.

Dr.Jones, please go through some of the other SX4 Tyre upgrade threads to get all the info you need.

I would suggest 225/55 R16 of either Primacy LC(for outright comfort) or Conti CPC2(for a blend of comfort and performance).

Edit: There are already threads around.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...sx4-zxi-3.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...sx4-tyres.html

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 17th November 2009 at 18:40.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:07   #41
BHPian

Got it

Hi BHPians,
Finally I got my SX4 Michelin Energy MXV8. I wanted to get the 225/55 R16 which would be the right upsize, but got the 225/60 R16. The tires does not rub the sides or anywhere, in full turn and the suspension locked, so far so good, might fool around a little bit with the speedo and odo, its ok. I theoretically should get a wee bit better FE. The rolling resistance is minimal, fantastic grip, GC should have improved about an inch. Just one thing, I have inflated them to 30 psi, I feel the ride is a bit harsh , why the hell is that?, it actually should be the other way around na? Should I try out with 28 psi? Opinions please.
Dr.Jones
Old 21st December 2009, 12:05   #42
BHPian

No Reply

Hi, Bhpian,
Iam waiting for somebody to enlighten me, What about the harsh ride in my sx4? I feel thumps when I hit small pot holes and rough road more now, just like over inflation. I feel the suspension is acting more as if the tire is too heavy for it. Any ideas? Will upgrading to Bilsteins improve the ride?
Dr.jones
Old 21st December 2009, 12:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Hi BHPians,
Finally I got my SX4 Michelin Energy MXV8. I wanted to get the 225/55 R16 which would be the right upsize, but got the 225/60 R16. The tires does not rub the sides or anywhere, in full turn and the suspension locked, so far so good, might fool around a little bit with the speedo and odo, its ok. I theoretically should get a wee bit better FE. The rolling resistance is minimal, fantastic grip, GC should have improved about an inch. Just one thing, I have inflated them to 30 psi, I feel the ride is a bit harsh , why the hell is that?, it actually should be the other way around na? Should I try out with 28 psi? Opinions please.
Dr.Jones
MXV8 are the older tyres and it is replaced by XM1+.. how much did you get each for?

About the harsh ride, the stiff suspension setup coupled with the larger wheel must be the reason.. try 28 psi

Last edited by iTNerd : 21st December 2009 at 12:25.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:27   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
MXV8 are the older tyres and it is replaced by XM1+.. how much did you get each for?

About the harsh ride, the stiff suspension setup coupled with the larger wheel must be the reason.. try 28 psi
Umm.... XM1+ is a low end tyre. MXV8 has been replaced by Primacy LC.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Umm.... XM1+ is a low end tyre. MXV8 has been replaced by Primacy LC.
My bad! you are right. But strange that some shops are still selling old MXV8!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks