Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2012, 18:36   #181
BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys,

Its more than time that I bring in a change of shoes for my Fiesta. General fyi, its 1.4L 2007 model, currently running on MRF ZV2K(stock - bad). I am looking at the following as the probables:

1. Bridgestone Turanza ER60 - Have visited 3-4 shops, all said its not in stock and seems the production is stopped. I do not believe them and going to visit an authorized showroom soon.

2. Bridgestone B250 - Heard about them, but no idea, feedbacks please?

3. Yokohama A Drive.

4. Michelin Energy XM2+.

My daily travel is through a pretty smooth strech, except a 1 km strech of gravel, mud etc (construction site). I hit the highway quite often, so would not like to compromise with the handling at all, I love it this way.

Any additions to the list are most welcome.
Old 24th July 2012, 18:55   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Guys,

Its more than time that I bring in a change of shoes for my Fiesta. General fyi, its 1.4L 2007 model, currently running on MRF ZV2K(stock - bad). I am looking at the following as the probables:

1. Bridgestone Turanza ER60 - Have visited 3-4 shops, all said its not in stock and seems the production is stopped. I do not believe them and going to visit an authorized showroom soon.

2. Bridgestone B250 - Heard about them, but no idea, feedbacks please?

3. Yokohama A Drive.

4. Michelin Energy XM2+.

My daily travel is through a pretty smooth strech, except a 1 km strech of gravel, mud etc (construction site). I hit the highway quite often, so would not like to compromise with the handling at all, I love it this way.

Any additions to the list are most welcome.
Get Bridgestone Turanza AR10s if you are keen on Bridgestones. AR10 seem to be the successor of ER60s as told to me by a Bridgestone Dealer. If you get ER60s, check if not an old stock. B250s are slightly noisy and life is less as per my experience.
Old 24th July 2012, 19:04   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
Get Bridgestone Turanza AR10s if you are keen on Bridgestones. AR10 seem to be the successor of ER60s as told to me by a Bridgestone Dealer. If you get ER60s, check if not an old stock. B250s are slightly noisy and life is less as per my experience.
Thanks!

I am not too keen on Bridgestone, first choice would be Michelin, second is Yokohama for their sheer performance. I had heard some raving reviews about ER60, so considered it. I would inquire about AR10's too.
Old 24th July 2012, 22:25   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Update:

At last, I've changed my all my tires to Michelin XM1+ 185/65R14 at Lal Tyres, Llyods road. Total damage to my pocket 19K inclusive of everything. Just drive them for few kilometers, it's too early to comment the same. But What i feel is , XM1+ is not really a looker (though my Energy series was good looking comparatively).

After a lot of confusion around my head last 2 weeks, I have forcefully decided to stick with majority of our bhpians. Thanks for all your inputs. I will post my experience after some more drive.

Hi @Jebs. Can we have an update please?

I am planning to change my tyres too next year, as the current MRFs have done only 35 K.
Old 25th July 2012, 07:51   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its more than time that I bring in a change of shoes for my Fiesta. General fyi, its 1.4L 2007 model, currently running on MRF ZV2K(stock - bad).
How much kms has the old shoes already covered? I would suggest the Michelin XM2 as one of my colleagues had recently opted for the same on his SX4 and he is satisfied with the intial performance too. The XM2 is same at par with XM1+ as far as performance, handling and grip is concerned.

Michelin website claim an increase in mileage, safety and performance with XM2 over the earlier XM1. I guess XM1+ is going to be obsolete.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 11:01   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hi @Jebs. Can we have an update please?

I am planning to change my tyres too next year, as the current MRFs have done only 35 K.
Hi vnabhi,

I have completed 6000 kilometers so far with the new michelin XM1+ tyres. I would definitely say this is an excellent tyre. The ride comfort and breaking are really excellent. With my previous set of tyres, i had faced tires screeching sound while hard breaking. But it is very smooth and confident inspiring now.

However, i've just missed a week by new XM2 tyres. Heard they are pretty much good than XM1+ tyres. Do have look at once.
Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 11:06   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi vnabhi,

I have completed 6000 kilometers so far with the new michelin XM1+ tyres. I would definitely say this is an excellent tyre. The ride comfort and breaking are really excellent. With my previous set of tyres, i had faced tires screeching sound while hard breaking. But it is very smooth and confident inspiring now.

However, i've just missed a week by new XM2 tyres. Heard they are pretty much good than XM1+ tyres. Do have look at once.
6000 kms in 5 months?? . Wow, you really use your car a lot!!

Thanks for the update. I shall aim for XM2s then.
Old 25th July 2012, 12:51   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How much kms has the old shoes already covered? I would suggest the Michelin XM2 as one of my colleagues had recently opted for the same on his SX4 and he is satisfied with the intial performance too. The XM2 is same at par with XM1+ as far as performance, handling and grip is concerned.

Michelin website claim an increase in mileage, safety and performance with XM2 over the earlier XM1. I guess XM1+ is going to be obsolete.
They have lasted 42k, but I guess they have been streched for last 2k kms. I have been using my car very less for the past few months hence did not change them. Since monsoon has arrived, travel will increase in the next 1 month. Its better to run the new ones in for a few 100 kms before hitting the highway.

Michelin XM2+ is my first choice then comes Yokohama A-Drive. I am getting Michelin for 4900 a piece while Yokohama at 4450 a piece. I feel the prices can come down upon negotiation. Turanza ER60 is also at 4900 a piece.

I will find out the best prices and update here. Thanks a lot for your valuable input .

Edit:

Guys, is it wise to upgrade to 185/60/R14s ?? Will they fit in the current rim or I'll have to change the rims too ? Again, no compromise on safety and handling !!

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 25th July 2012 at 13:20.
Old 25th July 2012, 17:32   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Hi vnabhi,

Hi Jebs,

I see you have upsized your tyres to 185/65 from 175/65, did you change the rims as well (I am sure you did not)? Howz the on road behaviour of your car ? Any problems ?

Is it safe to squeeze in 185 in place of 175 ?
Old 25th July 2012, 17:55   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Jebs,

I see you have upsized your tyres to 185/65 from 175/65, did you change the rims as well (I am sure you did not)? Howz the on road behavior of your car ? Any problems ?

Is it safe to squeeze in 185 in place of 175 ?
Hi Fiest@DuraTech,

Rim change is required only when you upgrade 196/60 and above section. 185 perfectly fitted in my stock rims and it is the most recommended upsize for Fiesta so far.

185 section will give you an extra grip and comfort also the looks. But some issues as well
1) underbody scrapping. It scraps almost all the non-regular speed-breakers. However, Fiestas won't have any issues as the under body well protected.
2) Steering goes extra harder (a bit)

Also, i have noticed one more thing, Michelin 175 section is actually 183mm hence it looks broader than other 175 section tyres. I have personally checked that after the discussion with dealer.

My advice is better go for XM2 tyres as XM1+ no longer will be produced and you will find hard way in case of replacement. Also, XM2 is little height than XM1+. So there will be less chance of under-body scrapping.

I have really missed XM2 tyres as i just missed it by a week(early launch by Michelin).
Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 21:23   #191
BHPian

I am personally a bridgestone fan than michelin, michelin do have a low profile unless you specifically look for a model which has a better profile.
Old 25th July 2012, 23:25   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rim change is required only when you upgrade 196/60 and above section. 185 perfectly fitted in my stock rims and it is the most recommended upsize for Fiesta so far.

185 section will give you an extra grip and comfort also the looks. But some issues as well
1) underbody scrapping. It scraps almost all the non-regular speed-breakers. However, Fiestas won't have any issues as the under body well protected.
I guess it also depends on what rims one has on the Fiesta. Are you on steel rims or alloys? My car has the second generation Fiesta alloys.

I am not sure if 185 section will fit snugly on those rims. Aren't Michelin XM2 tyres available on stock 175/ 65 /14 section?
Old 26th July 2012, 03:48   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Fiest@DuraTech,

Also, i have noticed one more thing, Michelin 175 section is actually 183mm hence it looks broader than other 175 section tyres. I have personally checked that after the discussion with dealer.

I have really missed XM2 tyres as i just missed it by a week(early launch by Michelin).
I could think of some issue or the other. 60 is the problem, moreover wifey already feels the steering to be a little on the harder side...god knows what will happen with the upsize. Ok, let me stick to the stock size then.

Yeah even I noticed the Michelin seeming to be a little broader than BS, infact I felt the same for Yokohama too.

Thanks for your kind advice brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess it also depends on what rims one has on the Fiesta. Are you on steel rims or alloys? My car has the second generation Fiesta alloys.

I am not sure if 185 section will fit snugly on those rims. Aren't Michelin XM2 tyres available on stock 175/ 65 /14 section?
Michelin XM2's are available in stock size for Fiesta(175/65/14). The discussion went this way because I was thinking of upsizing a bit.

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 26th July 2012 at 03:55.
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 02:00   #194
BHPian

Guys,

Howz 4650 per piece for Michelin XM2+ ? I got this price at Ashoka Wheels...rest of the guys are quoting 4900 per piece. I think Ashoka wheels would try to sell me older stock.

These prices are without negotiation.
Old 27th August 2012, 12:37   #195
BHPian

Guys,

After a lot of delay and lazyness, I was finally able to change the tyres to Michelin XM2 on Saturday. Total damage to the pocket- 19K inclusive of everything.

Can't comment on the overall behaviour but yeah the ride does feel a lot smoother. I was told that the steering would go a bit harder, but I felt it to be lighter . I would let the tyres settle down a bit and post the observations later. Planning for a 3 day trip soon as my hands are itching to take it on the highway. Parking issues in my office do not allow me ride it daily anymore

BTW, I switched to 185/65-14 from the stock 175/65-14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks