Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 13:05   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
After a lot of delay and lazyness, I was finally able to change the tyres to Michelin XM2 on Saturday. Total damage to the pocket- 19K inclusive of everything.

Can't comment on the overall behaviour but yeah the ride does feel a lot smoother. I was told that the steering would go a bit harder, but I felt it to be lighter .
Good for you. So is the 19K cost inclusive of the exchange for the old tyres or only for the new Michelins?

I did ride my friend's SX4 which had the new shoes and I felt the steering to be a bit harder than usual. The grip was there but I felt the road noise slightly on the higher side.
Old 27th August 2012, 13:57   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Good for you. So is the 19K cost inclusive of the exchange for the old tyres or only for the new Michelins?

I did ride my friend's SX4 which had the new shoes and I felt the steering to be a bit harder than usual. The grip was there but I felt the road noise slightly on the higher side.
19K is only for the Michelin's. People here have stopped accepting old tyres and hence I got them back with me. I will give them to a known puncture guy nearby.

May be my steering had gone harder because of the bad shoes, wheel alignment/balancing pending since long. I felt the steering to be super smooth. Road Noise - No !!

I again say, I had got used to a lot of bad feedback from the steering, road noise and bad behaviour of the car on the road for the last 2-3K kms, due to the reasons mentioned above. Let me drive it for a few kms, probably will be able to put forth my observations.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:02   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess it also depends on what rims one has on the Fiesta. Are you on steel rims or alloys? My car has the second generation Fiesta alloys.

I am not sure if 185 section will fit snugly on those rims. Aren't Michelin XM2 tyres available on stock 175/ 65 /14 section?
Hey, I just saw this.
Thought Id let you know, Ive been running 185 sections on the 8 (7?) spoke ford alloys for about 30-35k now. No issues in fitting or running.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 14:45   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Hey, I just saw this.
Thought Id let you know, Ive been running 185 sections on the 8 (7?) spoke ford alloys for about 30-35k now. No issues in fitting or running.
Thanks. But are you having any issues with reduced GC? Jebs says he found more bottom scraping with the 185s.

I am not sure if your alloys are the same as mine, but you can have a glimpse of mine in my profile's garage.
Old 9th September 2012, 15:12   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi

Thanks. But are you having any issues with reduced GC? Jebs says he found more bottom scraping with the 185s.

I am not sure if your alloys are the same as mine, but you can have a glimpse of mine in my profile's garage.
No scraping so far.
I did see your garage, but those pics have a wheel cover. Did you get the same?
You CAN see the ones I have on my garage pics though.
Old 9th September 2012, 17:38   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
No scraping so far.
I did see your garage, but those pics have a wheel cover. Did you get the same?
You CAN see the ones I have on my garage pics though.
Good to know that there was no scraping.

Hey, those are not wheel covers, but stark naked alloys. They are the 2nd generation alloys on the Fiesta that were introduced in March 2007. Yours are the first generation ones.

But in any case, I am sure the dimensions would be the same.

Can you tell me what advantages one gets from 185/65/14 in place of the stock size of 175/65/14 ?
Old 11th September 2012, 13:11   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hey, those are not wheel covers, but stark naked alloys. They are the 2nd generation alloys on the Fiesta that were introduced in March 2007. Yours are the first generation ones.

Can you tell me what advantages one gets from 185/65/14 in place of the stock size of 175/65/14 ?
Advantages?
well, it definitely looks better, to me at least.
Other than that, there's slightly more noise on concrete roads only.
And I dont know if its psychological or not, but there's a more planted feel on turns, especially on long curvy ones.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 17:39   #203
BHPian

Quote:

I would like to add to what mayankk has said.

1. Significant reduction in bottom scraping. Infact, since the last 2-3 weeks that I have changed them, I have not managed to scrape the bottom even once, though I travel on terribly bad roads(nanakramguda to wipro circle for example, which has quite deep potholes accompanied by speedbreakers along with them. Fiesta with stock tyres will surely scrap its bottom at these places.)

2. Very good grip, give credit to the wider section and softer compound in comparison to the stock ZV2K.

3. Road noise, not so much, but yeah on higher speeds, you can hear a little bit more, but its because of the more grip area I suppose. But the way I travel (music on all the time ), I hardly hear any.

4. Comfort - Way better to even compare. Those small potholes/speed breakers which used to shake the core of my fiesta(blame a bit on the stiffer suspension too) are not at all a concern now.

5. Looks - Yeah a bit better, but I thought of more
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 17:52   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to add to what mayankk has said.

3. Road noise, not so much, but yeah on higher speeds, you can hear a little bit more, but its because of the more grip area I suppose. But the way I travel (music on all the time ), I hardly hear any.

I am a wee bit concerned about the point above, as the stock MRFs were quite silent even at triple digit speeds. But I guess that even the stock sized Michellins would exhibit the same characteristics related to road noise, and that the increase in profile might not have added to it.

One thing I'd like to know is whether the F.E. has been affected. And is the steering harder at low speeds during U-turns?
Old 11th September 2012, 18:05   #205
BHPian

Quote:
I am a wee bit concerned about the point above, as the stock MRFs were quite silent even at triple digit speeds. But I guess that even the stock sized Michellins would exhibit the same characteristics related to road noise, and that the increase in profile might not have added to it.

One thing I'd like to know is whether the F.E. has been affected. And is the steering harder at low speeds during U-turns?
Yes, road noise will be present even if you keep the stock size. Its a softer compound as comparison to ZV2K, which grips the surface more and hence the noise, but it gives you more benefits against this one little issue.

I really can't comment on the F.E. as of now, because I haven't measured it properly. There is one thing we must keep in mind here about the F.E. - It is said to increase if we compare the stock ZV2K with the stock size XM2. But if we upsize, its always bound to decrease a bit, so probably both the factors will negate each other and I do not think we should see any increase/decrease in F.E.

I am travelling this weekend, doing a round trip of 600 kms, would note it down and let u know.

Steering, yes a bit harder, again to the profile change, but its just a matter of getting used to it. I don't even feel it now.
(I had reported a lighter steering once I changed, but found the culprit to be the high pressure in the tyres which I checked 2 days later).

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 11th September 2012 at 18:10.
Old 12th September 2012, 14:37   #206
Senior - BHPian

Most of you have upgraded from 175 65 R14 to 185 65 R14, which is quite apt for the car. Can anyone shed some light for, how will 195 60 R14 would be?

I have a Ford Fiesta Classic with stock size MRF 175 65 R14. Thanks.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 15:08   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Most of you have upgraded from 175 65 R14 to 185 65 R14, which is quite apt for the car. Can anyone shed some light for, how will 195 60 R14 would be?

In this case, first of all consider the warranty on the suspension, depending on how much you've already driven on the stock ones. The standard warranty on suspension is for 40K kms, if you've taken extended, I think it should be 80K. Whatever it is, it will be void on upsizing.

Second, you'll have to change the rims/alloys(all 5 + all 5 tyres). Quite an extra cost for just looks ? I think Fiesta handles best this way itself. The steering will go further hard than mine with 185 section width.

Third, I had talked to my reliable mechanic who said that kind of upsize will create problems with the suspension setup.

Frankly, I do not think its worth it because the handling of Fiesta is already great. 185/65 will be light on your pocket and has been a proven upsize.
Old 12th September 2012, 15:21   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In this case, first of all consider the warranty on the suspension, depending on how much you've already driven on the stock ones. The standard warranty on suspension is for 40K kms, if you've taken extended, I think it should be 80K. Whatever it is, it will be void on upsizing.

Frankly, I do not think its worth it because the handling of Fiesta is already great. 185/65 will be light on your pocket and has been a proven upsize.
Thanks for the valuable information. I certainly have purchased extended warranty as Ford can be sometime expensive on spare parts and my Fiesta RHS front suspension was changed as it has developed some problem.

Till the warranty period will keeping the stock size for tires.
Old 13th September 2012, 19:33   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

I have Yokohama A drive in that size on Fiesta SXI Petrol pre-classic era! Absolutely no problem. Changed it after 50kms on stock tyres. Driving is absolute bliss. No scraping or thuds on many bumps. Mileage reduced 0.5kmpl on city drive. Higher noise in cement roads.

If you worry about warranty don't bother changing tyres from Stock MRF's. The way warranty is worded; if you change to softer tyres on stock tyres also voids warranty.
Old 13th September 2012, 19:47   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla

I have Yokohama A drive in that size on Fiesta SXI Petrol pre-classic era! Absolutely no problem. Changed it after 50kms on stock tyres. Driving is absolute bliss. No scraping or thuds on many bumps. Mileage reduced 0.5kmpl on city drive. Higher noise in cement roads.

If you worry about warranty don't bother changing tyres from Stock MRF's. The way warranty is worded; if you change to softer tyres on stock tyres also voids warranty.
Why not keep the tyres around. Once every 6 months pop them back on for servicing.
One thing though. I haven't seen Ford being too finicky about warranties with tyres. Maybe that's just me.

Most Viewed