Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 18:08   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Dont ignore the Pirellis, the P6000 I had used in my Ikon were a big big surprise for me. The Ikon being too bad on its brakes, the Pirellis really transformed the car.

I have heard lot of good things about the P6 too, I think the tyres are available on ChangeMyTyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
No, I did not. I knew that Pirellis were a premium brand like Michelin and Yokohama, but was told that they hardly have a significant presence in India. Same is the case with Continentals.

Therefore I am not too keen in going for a brand that is not selling in sufficient volumes.
Old 29th April 2013, 19:55   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Dont ignore the Pirellis, the P6000 I had used in my Ikon were a big big surprise for me. The Ikon being too bad on its brakes, the Pirellis really transformed the car.

I have heard lot of good things about the P6 too, I think the tyres are available on ChangeMyTyre.
Thanks, will keep that in mind. So I guess P6 is the latest avatar of P6000, right?

As regards Contis, I got a feedback that 2013 stock is available in Hyd, but the price quoted is 5 K per tyre, when compared to 4700 for Michelin XM2s. But the XM2s are 8 months old. Paying Rs 300 extra may indeed be worthwhile, but let me bargain and see. Apart from the difference of 1200 for a set of 4, the XM2s had an offer of free WA/ WB and nitrogen filling too, which would be another 1 K if I am not mistaken.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:20   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinidhi View Post
Hi Folks,

I drive a fiesta 1.6S which comes shod with 195/55 R15 goodyear NCT 5 and I have a couple of questions on its rubber:

1. What is the life of the OEM tyres. Mine has run 25K. Is it the right time to change or can I run it for some more time.
2. I checked a few tyre shops and the only two descent options I have in the stock size is Bridgestone My02 and Yokohoma S drives. Are there any other options?
3. I personally think that 195/55 is adequate but don't mind up-sizing. Is 205/50 a right choice and if so what options do I have.
4. Lastly, how much can I expect for my current set if I trade it off for a new set.

-Nidhi
Can someone help me with my queries
Old 30th April 2013, 11:43   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You should be able to make out by looking at the treads as to what state they are in. Round about 2-3 mm is minimum.
25k should, under ideal conditions, still have about 5-7k left, but I don't know how or where you drive.

As for the upsize, check with your tyre guy, or try a search here. I'm sure it would have come up in discussions.
Can't comment on the brands, but I'm sure someone will be voicing their opinion soon enough.
For the resale, don't expect more than scrap value.

Last edited by mayankk : 30th April 2013 at 11:44.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:52   #275
Senior - BHPian

My grand father's 2008 Dec model Fiesta is due for a tyre changeat 37 K Kms. The stepney is un used. Is it advisable to use the stepney and buy 3 new tyres of the same make? I am asking this because the tyre is almost 5 years old but has not been used at all. The tyres are MRF ZV2K.

Thanks.
Old 30th April 2013, 17:52   #276
Senior - BHPian

The P6 and the P6000 are different tyres. The Cinturato P6 is the latest avatar of the P6!

Quote:
Thanks, will keep that in mind. So I guess P6 is the latest avatar of P6000, right?
Dude, I am in process of changing the tyres in my 1.6S and there are not many good options.

From what I have checked, Conti CPC2, Apollo Accelere, BS MY-01, S-Drives, A-Drives, Hankook Ventus Evo and the NCT5.

I have tried the following tyres in my S,

1. Conti CPC2 - Sad braking distance, poor grip even when compared to the NCT5, they dont scream but they simply slide the car when you take corners fast, they are good in the wet though

2. Maxxis MAZ1 - Brilliant tyres, phenomenal grip, slightly noisy but got couple of tyres worn out unevenly because of a faulty wheel bearing and I am not able to use them again. I am not able to find them in the market too.

I am planning to get the S-Drives, I am keeping my expectations low and hoping for the best

Quote:
Old 30th April 2013, 18:17   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I am planning to get the S-Drives, I am keeping my expectations low and hoping for the best
Even I am thinking of s-drives. But for the road noise (which I think is less compared to the NCT), if everything else is okay i think I can live with this tyre.

Any idea how BS MY 02 tyres are? MY 01 are stopped now i think.
Old 30th April 2013, 18:44   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
My grand father's 2008 Dec model Fiesta is due for a tyre changeat 37 K Kms. The stepney is un used. Is it advisable to use the stepney and buy 3 new tyres of the same make? I am asking this because the tyre is almost 5 years old but has not been used at all. The tyres are MRF ZV2K.

Thanks.
Change the 4 tyres in use and leave the stepney as it is. Remember you can use it only as a spare, and revert to the punctured tyre soon after it is fixed. I believe this is the best approach.

@anachronix---thanks for the feedback. It looks like Pirelli P6 is not available for 185/65/14 profile. And based on your impression of Contis, I might strike it off my list, but I am stuck with a choice of buying 8-month old XM2s.

There are no S drives either for this profile. They have something called 'ES100' for 14 inch rims. So the dilemma continues.

Last edited by vnabhi : 30th April 2013 at 18:49.
Old 30th April 2013, 21:15   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Awww.
Anyway, Just wanted to tell you that the ones i mentioned are not CPC2, but conti eco contact 3s.
Old 1st May 2013, 11:59   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Awww.
Anyway, Just wanted to tell you that the ones i mentioned are not CPC2, but conti eco contact 3s.
Uh oh, I was mistaken. I will add them back to my reckoning. Thanks for pointing out.
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:39   #281
Senior - BHPian

No dude, I have never used the BS!

Quote:
Any idea how BS MY 02 tyres are? MY 01 are stopped now i think.
The CEC3 are good tyres, I had them in the Ikon (175/65 R14) for couple of months before I sold it. The tyres felt as good as the Pirelli P6000.

Its the CPC2 that is bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Awww.
Quote:
Uh oh, I was mistaken. I will add them back to my reckoning. Thanks for pointing out.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 22:21   #282
Senior - BHPian

I was busy the whole week, so my tire purchase plan was put on a back burner.

I followed up again today and found that the latest stock of Michelin XM2s is of week 48 of 2012, which could be October.

Whereas Conti EC3s are available of Jan, 2013 vintage. After hard bargaining, I got an offer for Rs 4800 per Conti tyre, down from Rs 5000 quoted last week. This apart, Wheel O City is throwing in WA/ WB free, and also free Nitro filling.

What takes the cake is that it is located nearby, so in the long run, I can get my N2 topped up regularly. He does not have ready stock , but said he'd get them in a day or two.

Will keep this thread posted. Thanks all for your valuable suggestions, especially Mayankk and Anachronix.
Old 19th June 2013, 19:15   #283
Senior - BHPian

Finally took the plunge a couple of days back, with the odo nearing 40 K. Decided to go for Michelin XM2s , though they were around 6 to 7 months old. I realized that this is always the case with Michelins in Hyderbad, as dealers do not order for fresh stocks till old stocks are over.

I discarded Conti EC3s because their website no longer lists them, leading to apprehensions of future replacements in case of need. But yes, they were available of more recent make (Jan 2013). Even the dealer (Ashoka Wheels) felt that Contis had issues with weak side walls compared to Michelin which has made improvements in that area based on customer feedback.

I paid Rs 19200 for a set of 4 tyres of 185/65/14 profile. The cost included WA/WB, N2 filling and moving the best of the old tyres to the stepney. More details and pictures are in my LTO thread.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions in helping me decide.
Old 4th July 2013, 12:10   #284
BHPian

My Fiesta tyres are making some 'gut-gut' sound while rolling. It is especially annoying while riding on very smooth roads. It spoils the clean rhythm of ride. I took the vehicle to the workshop, and they diagnosed that there is no problem with wheel bearings, etc., and that the noise is made by the MRF tyres only as the thread levels are uneven.

I am a novice to the tyre matters. Is there any solution that I can look for. It will be too early to change the tyres as such.

Vipin.
Old 24th August 2013, 10:47   #285
BHPian

Friends my car needs an urgent tyre change. I have been lazy and its 50K plus and I have been riding the original MRF.

I went through the discussion here and also did some research. I think I would stick to the original size of 175/65/14 mostly for the reason of fuel economy as the warranty and all aint make any difference after 4 years of ownership.

I am not sure if the insurance if it gets void if there is anything that is not as per the company specs.

Considering that I retain the same wheel dimensions I thought of the 2 alternatives and 2 were added on visit to Darshan motors.

1- Yoko - But a lot of reviews say the side walls have issues and I think yoko might be an amazing tyre for countries where the roads are not as bad as we have. So this option is almost cancelled

2- Michelin - I had this in mind when I visited Darshan motors but he said that Michelin falls in the same category of Yoko and is meant for countries with better roads.

3- He is recommending strongly the Continental which he says are silent and also show better comfort

4 - His other suggestion is Good year

I plan to visit another tyre dealer today but thought I will atleast check what fellow Bhpians think over this while I do my rounds at the dealers.

Vnabhi I did not go with your choice mostly as you have done an upgrade to the tyre size.

Last edited by Rastapopoulos : 24th August 2013 at 10:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks