Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2008, 20:00   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Have the XM1+ hit the market yet if so whats the price
Yogi, you shouldn't look at XM1's. Apna swale84 got Mich Pilot Preceda 2's on his Ikon. 185/60/R14. Amazing tyres with an outstanding grip. Get the best for your Fiesta as well. They are about 4k a tyre.
Old 9th February 2008, 23:48   #17
BHPian

i am running my fiesta on lenso alloys 15" and the tyre size is 205/50/r15 michelin pilot preceda pp2 fantastic tyre good grip on wet and dry road
Old 10th February 2008, 02:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Am running PP2's (205/50/15) on my Lancer.
Pros:
Grip-wise, fantastic... they give me more confidence than any other tyres I have used. In both dry & wet conditions. Very low road noise and decent comfort levels for a performance tyre.

Cons:
These are not very well behaved on poor roads, and feel decidedly unsettled on uneven and potholed surfaces. There is also a good amount of tram-lining. If you will be driving on bad roads on a frequent basis, I would look at some of the other options mentioned.
Old 10th February 2008, 03:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

^^Other than tramlining, I've not faced any major issues on bad roads. Exactly what issue did you face?
Old 10th February 2008, 04:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

The only major negative with them is tram lining on bad roads.
Old 10th February 2008, 12:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

As I mentioned, the car is not very composed on bad roads (mainly ones that have loose gravel/stones)... I feel the steering twitching on them, especially when I brake. Steering+suspension were recently overhauled, so they are not an issue.
Maybe Kolkata has more bad roads than other cities!!
Old 10th February 2008, 15:16   #22
BHPian

I have the 195/60 R14 PP1 on my Fiesta on stock steel wheels & they are great.

Except for the tram-lining I did not find any other issue. Even in wet conditions it has pretty good grip.

I am certain the PP2 is even better.

Check out my thread on this tyre:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/27695-fiesta-michelin-pilot-preceda-pp1.html
Old 10th February 2008, 23:04   #23

Dear Anarchy,

The reason for getting bulges on the side wall is because when the tyres does not have the recommended air pressure, and goes through a pot hole on the road or hits a side walk / payment, the inner cords of the tyres get cut, by the rim. You will never notice any damage on the outside of the tyre, but when the tyre is removed, you can see the cut in the inner of the tyre. Without the tyre cords holding the rubber, the air pressure inside the tyres pushes the area / rubber out side and you can see a bulge.

This is the most common cause of tyre failure in India of radial construction. It is not related to any particular brand of tyres, as it can happen to any brand. It becomes more prominent in Tubeless tyres or tyres with low aspect ratio. ( height of the tyre - distance between the rim and ground ) Less the distance more the chances of the tyres getting damaged.
This can be avoided - fill the recommended air pressure in the tyres and keep a check on the same, avoid going through pot holes. Also use the recommended tyre size advised by the vehicle manufacturer. Once you follow the above rule, you can start using low aspect ration tyres. I use 45 series tyres and do not face any problems.

Note that most of the Indian car owners using tube type tyres do not realise that their tyres have a bulge because the tube inside the tyre supports the area where the cords have got cut. This is very dangerous as at high speeds the rubber can give way and the tyre can burst.
Old 11th February 2008, 01:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay_delhi View Post
This can be avoided - fill the recommended air pressure in the tyres and keep a check on the same, avoid going through pot holes.
Sanjay - How exactly do you suggest we avoid pot holes altogether in our road conditions?? AFAIK, a lot of the time the pot holes are so big or so many that there is no option but to go through them. We at times literally have to search for the road between the pot holes!
Old 11th February 2008, 12:13   #25
BHPian

Dear sanjay,
My first tyre developed a bulge very on and i had it promptly exchanged with the stepni, but now i have learnt that two other tires have developed bulges as well. I am a student in bombay and this is my first car so trust me when i say i drive her very very carefully going out of my way to avoid potholes. However what scared me was one of the reasons you pointed out- i did not realise when i developed the bulges until my car went for servicing. When the tyre wallah told me the tire could have burst, i immediately decided to change my tires as it was not worth the risk. Good year atleast according to what my driver and tyre-wallah (saifee) informed me are more prone to such bulging, therefore i am looking out for other brands
Old 11th February 2008, 12:14   #26
BHPian

Also i am absolutely sure my car has been running the correct pressure 0f 30 psi as i check it every week
Old 12th February 2008, 18:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Bridgestone Turanza ER60- Bullet proof tyres. Can take a lot of beating gleefully. Perfect for bad roads.
you are saying this because they can handle bad roads easily or they can stop a bullet form penitrating tyre (i cannot believe that)
Old 12th February 2008, 19:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Have the XM1+ hit the market yet if so whats the price
just got a set of 5 energy xm1+ from delhi for my ohc for 3650/tyre.

size 185/65/14
Old 18th February 2008, 12:07   #29

No one can avoid pot holes in India, but tell me who drives fast when there are pot holes. When driving on roads where there are a lot of pots holes, one tends to drive slow. If the air pressure is as per the recommendation, and you drive slowly through the pot holes, you will not face this kind of problems.

The problems comes when you are driving fast and suddenly there is a pot hole or a stone on the road.

I have been using Radial in cars since last 18 years, and have also driven a lot on radials on cross country roads, but I take absolute care and I have never faced any bulge on my tyres.
Old 19th February 2008, 18:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith View Post
just got a set of 5 energy xm1+ from delhi for my ohc for 3650/tyre.

size 185/65/14
Isn't that likely to increase your speedo error? I thought the 185/60/14s were the right upsize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Yogi, you shouldn't look at XM1's. Apna swale84 got Mich Pilot Preceda 2's on his Ikon. 185/60/R14. Amazing tyres with an outstanding grip. Get the best for your Fiesta as well. They are about 4k a tyre.
Are you sure PP2s are still available at 4k per tyre? Michelin prices have shot up & Energy XM1s are now around 3.8k for the 185x60x14s - I would think the PP2s would be substantially higher than 4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99 View Post
so i have narrowed my choices down to brigestone G3s, michelin pp2, and yokohama es100.
Anarchy, have you finally decided which ones you are going in for?

Last edited by suman : 19th February 2008 at 18:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks