Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:39   #331
BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
Hi - I have a Fiesta 1.6S. The standard tyre size is 195/55 R15. The car has currently run 43000kms and all the tyres have now worn out. Need to change them immediately.
Will keep the tyre profiles the same as it is. Presently, the car is used by my wife for city driving in Delhi and therefore comfort and less noise is priority. I hardly take it out of town or use it on high speed tracks.

The current ones are bridgestones which I have been quite happy with. A friend suggested Yoko S Drives, but there are mixed reviews about the tyre. Not being able to finalize which brand to buy.

Can someone suggest a suitable tyre brand for 195/55 R15 ? Also, if you are aware of current approximate prices, that info would also be helpful.
Having used Yoko S, I won't recommend them if comfort and noise level is priority. Also, my personal experience with Yoko S was - faster and uneven wear out, uneven wear out was quite evident after it crossed 20K kms.

Have switched back to Goodyear NCT 5 (OEM tyres on S) for comfort and less noise level and it pretty much handles well within the speed that the car is usually driven (max 120 kms/hr). Oh and yes, I paid around 15K for set of four after exchange of old tyres.
gsachin21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:38   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsachin21 View Post

Having used Yoko S, I won't recommend them if comfort and noise level is priority. Also, my personal experience with Yoko S was - faster and uneven wear out, uneven wear out was quite evident after it crossed 20K kms.

Have switched back to Goodyear NCT 5 (OEM tyres on S) for comfort and less noise level and it pretty much handles well within the speed that the car is usually driven (max 120 kms/hr). Oh and yes, I paid around 15K for set of four after exchange of old tyres.
NCT 5 for comfort and low noise?
Is there a difference between the regular fiesta's 14, and the S 's 15s?
Because low comfort and terrible noise was why I switched to eco contacts.
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:53   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
NCT 5 for comfort and low noise?
Is there a difference between the regular fiesta's 14, and the S 's 15s?
Because low comfort and terrible noise was why I switched to eco contacts.
I've found Goodyear to be the noisiest of all tyres at speeds over 80. Any brand of tyre will seem to be comfy and silent when new, but true colours come out only after 10 to 15 K on the odo.

I'd recommend Michellin's, Yokos, Contis or Bridgestone for lower noise, better grip and comfort.
Old 19th June 2014, 21:02   #334
BHPian

Even my Fiesta 1.6S needs new shoes. The OEM was GoodYear NCT5 195/55/R15. I see that Vredestein has launched in India and is available in that size (http://www.vredestein.in/car-tyres/s.../195/55/15/all). Has anyone had any experience on Vredestein? Is it worth to go in for it as I expect premium pricing on it.
What other tyre models would you experts suggest? Good grip and low noise would be the priority. The NCT5 does loose grip when braked hard as I've felt the ABS kicking in a couple of times. But if nothing better is available, I may have to go with GoodYear again !
Old 20th June 2014, 21:28   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
The OEM was GoodYear NCT5 195/55/R15. I see that Vredestein has launched in India and is available in that size (http://www.vredestein.in/car-tyres/s.../195/55/15/all). Has anyone had any experience on Vredestein? Is it worth to go in for it as I expect premium pricing on it.
What other tyre models would you experts suggest? Good grip and low noise would be the priority. The NCT5 does loose grip when braked hard as I've felt the ABS kicking in a couple of times. But if nothing better is available, I may have to go with GoodYear again !
Vredesteins have pretty good reviews in Europe, they're certainly among the better tyres although not as haloed as Michelin/Pirelli/Bridgestone trio. No personal experience or Indian written reviews, but I was more tempted to try these if I didn't get my preferred choice. I suppose you're referring to the Ultrac Cento ? Unforyunately, the better tyres liek Ultrac Sessanta are available only in 17 inch and above. The Ultrac Cento is more mainstream but still very good as per reviews.

If you're going with Goodyear, try the Eagle F1 GSD3. They may be hard to find, but I did ( 205/55-R16 for my Tjet). There are of course other choices - Michelin Primacy 3ST (and XM2), Bridgestone Potenza G3 being the most trusted.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 22:05   #336
BHPian

Sorry for the long absence, after much deliberation I stuck to the stock 175s from MRF but have been satisfied till now. Have driven about 3000kms and nothing to complain. The ride has become smoother now and I don't hear much road noise, anyway I wont bring the windows down and the diesel clatter will supress what ever noise the tires emit Braking has not increased much and don't see much difference in road grip but again my max speed remains with in 120kmph and haven't done any high speed cornering yet. Will see how it behaves during monsoon and update.
Old 13th August 2014, 20:37   #337
BHPian

I need to replace tyres on my Fiesta SXI (pre-classic, 51K on odo on stock tyres).

After reading this thread I'm thinking of going for Michelin XM2 one upsize (185/65/14). I'm fine with odo and speed error of ~2%. I assume the car handling will be slightly better, GC will be slightly more and road noise is minimal. Could someone confirm? Are there any other recommendations? If upsize is not available, I'm planning to go for stock size XM2.

Also if XM2s are not available, what's the next best option? I'm particular about road noise and handling.

Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 16:13   #338
BHPian

I changed the tyres on my 1.4 TDCi a month back. The stock MRF ZV2k help on for 56000 + kms. The car used to skid during while braking (No hard braking though).
The ground clearance was a major concern for me, used to scrape almost all humps in Bangalore if not careful. Most times I had to take them dead slow and if possible, diagonally.
I went for 185/65 R14 Yokohama Earth1's. Must say pretty happy with the decision. The humps are not of a problem now. Glide thru most of them confortable these days. The ride was a bit rough during the initial phase, but it has come down after the initial 100kms. I am impressed with the grip levels especially in wet conditions. I had noticed a lot of aquaplaning with the MRFs, but the yokos grip well when wading pools of water. Was surprised when the car held on when I took the car to Cochin 2 weeks back in monsoons after all those miles on the MRFs. For some reason, I feel the MRF's were bit more comfortable; will wait if the character changes after some more KMs.I hear a noise when the car goes thru broken patches especially with loose stones on the Yokos. Was worried if the tyres were rubbing against the suspension but they weren't; checked the car with wheels removed when the service was done this time. Overall, happy with the grip and the increased ground clearance.
Old 16th September 2014, 16:36   #339
BHPian

I just upsized my Fiesta 1.6 to 185/65 Michelin XM2 after much deliberation. Have driven around 200km and I can feel a definite improvement in cornering and braking. I am not a FE person so haven't noticed any drastic change in FE. I was on 175/65 Michelin XM1 + which had just done 15,000 Km but I had met a horrible accident which damaged the side-walls of 2 tyres. I could have probably driven around 1000 more kilometers but I do frequent high speed runs on Yamuna expressway so didn't wanted to take a chance.

Tyre gurus - I haven't got my spare changed since it's pretty new but it is 175/65. Would it be ok to use that as emergency tyre ?
Old 18th September 2014, 19:35   #340
Senior - BHPian

Booked a new Fiesta Titanium today. What should i do of the Goodyear eagle NCT 5? Got a quote and a tyre dealer will buy back these tyres and give me Bridgestone Turanza ER 60 in same size. I will have to pay 2800 as buy back cost, is it worth it? Wont go for michelins as they are comfort oriented and dont fare well under hard cornering. Are NCT5 worth keeping or should i get them changed?
Old 19th September 2014, 08:06   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Booked a new Fiesta Titanium today. What should i do of the Goodyear eagle NCT 5? Got a quote and a tyre dealer will buy back these tyres and give me Bridgestone Turanza ER 60 in same size. I will have to pay 2800 as buy back cost, is it worth it? Wont go for michelins as they are comfort oriented and dont fare well under hard cornering. Are NCT5 worth keeping or should i get them changed?
If you really want an upgrade, you should consider a larger tyre. The stock rims will accommodate 205/60R15s and 195/65R15s (since the width is not needed).
I wouldn't bother changing the tyres for the same size, unless you just cannot do with the NCT5.
If you're curious about what the car can take, even 205/50R17s on 7x17 ET38 wheels is easily possible.
Old 19th September 2014, 13:00   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodak View Post
Tyre gurus - I haven't got my spare changed since it's pretty new but it is 175/65. Would it be ok to use that as emergency tyre ?
No problems, but use it only till you get the puncture fixed. I have the same arrangement in my car.

Quote:
Goodyears are noisy and don't last long. It is worth changing to Turanzas. And who said Michelin's were poor in cornering? My experience has been to the contrary. I preferred Michelin XM2 over Bridgestone when I changed last year.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 17:59   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Goodyears are noisy and don't last long. It is worth changing to Turanzas. And who said Michelin's were poor in cornering? My experience has been to the contrary. I preferred Michelin XM2 over Bridgestone when I changed last year.
Thanks, will look if i get a decent buy back for the NCT 5's. And regarding Michelins, i have experienced it first hand. Regularly drive my friend's Rapid shod with them and despite having a much stiffer suspension, the car fares poorly when cornening than my Vento on Bridgestone Potenzas, could be owing to the soft side walls. You can feel the body roll to one side.

Had contacted a fellow member anachronix as he got XM2's installed on his face lifted Fiesta and he also advised me to stay away if i do hard cornerning, he said that they start squealing way too early.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 19th September 2014 at 18:13.
Old 20th September 2014, 07:11   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, will look if i get a decent buy back for the NCT 5's. And regarding Michelins, i have experienced it first hand. Regularly drive my friend's Rapid shod with them and despite having a much stiffer suspension, the car fares poorly when cornening than my Vento on Bridgestone Potenzas, could be owing to the soft side walls. You can feel the body roll to one side.

Had contacted a fellow member anachronix as he got XM2's installed on his face lifted Fiesta and he also advised me to stay away if i do hard cornerning, he said that they start squealing way too early.
That the Michelins are bad at cornering is unusual. I've got Primacy 3ST 215/55R17 tyres on a Skoda Superb and really cannot find scope for complaint. On the contrary, the car handles better despite the increased sidewall height!
Could it just be that someone sold your friend a very old set?
Old 30th November 2014, 10:54   #345
BHPian

This query is regarding the Ford Classic whose official tyre specs are 175/65 R14. Is it possible to upgrade to 15 inch rims? If yes then what width and aspect ratio?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks