Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:20   #91
BHPian

Help please- FORD fiesta tyre purchase

dear BHPians

I have a Ford fiesta 1.6 Sxi and drive around in Mysore city, with occassional trips to Bangalore and to villages in Tamilnadu.. the problem is of course that with ground clearance - especially with the absolutely ridiculous humps on the mysore-bangalore road, and the ultra deep potholes near the karnataka-tamilnadu border areas.
The sickening noise of the car's underbelly scraping along the road humps is just too much! - and I want to avoid that.
I usually travel with four people in the car, and moderate load.

Current tyres are the stock MRF 175/65 R14s, which have now done 35K and due for replacement.

I want to get new tyres, but won't be changing the stock alloys.

Can you all pitch in and help me with the selection of a good tyre set ?

Requirements

1)Ride quality /Noise
2)Grip
3)Clearance

please suggest models as soon as possible - thanks in advance
Old 31st August 2009, 13:24   #92

Upsizing on Fiesta 1.6S

I just upsized from 195/55R15 Goodyear Eagle ( OE on my Fiesta 1.6 S ) to 195/60R15 Apollo Acelere. More rubber adds cushion and ride comfort alright, but the inherent noisy and harsh suspension in this particular model of Fiesta makes the change not as beneficial as when i upsized in my Ikon 1.6 ZXi. Ford should soften the springs a little. Anyone have any ideas on how to reduce suspension stiffness?
Old 14th October 2009, 16:43   #93
BHPian

Wheel & Tyre Upgrade For Fiesta 1.6 Limited Edition

Hi! I am planning to buy a Ford Fiesta 1.6 Limited Edition & upgrade the tyres & wheels. My priorities are ride comfort, fuel efficiency & durability. The Limited Edition comes shod with 14" pressed steel rims & MRF ZV2K 175/65R14 tubeless tyres.
After doing a fair bit of research on Team BHP, I am inclined towards getting 14" alloys & 185/60R14 tubeless tyres. I have had a look at the Ford 14" alloys available with the dealer as original accessories & am wondering if they are a good buy. They are a bit plane Jane to look at, but seem pretty robustly built & the Ford logo in the centre actually looks quite attractive.
The dealer tells me that the pressed steel wheels as well as the alloys are 5.5" width. All other 14" alloys in the market seem to be 6" width. Does this mean that Ford alloy shod with 185/60R14 will fit in the Fiesta's spare wheel well, whereas the non-Ford alloys, because of the extra 0.5" width will not?
As far as the tyres go, I am looking at the Michelin XM1+ & the Apollo Acelere Sportz, with the Apollos being about 900 rupees lighter on the pocket.
I look forward to your suggestions.
nura.
Old 15th October 2009, 01:06   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehard View Post
I just upsized from 195/55R15 Goodyear Eagle ( OE on my Fiesta 1.6 S ) to 195/60R15 Apollo Acelere. More rubber adds cushion and ride comfort alright, but the inherent noisy and harsh suspension in this particular model of Fiesta makes the change not as beneficial as when i upsized in my Ikon 1.6 ZXi. Ford should soften the springs a little. Anyone have any ideas on how to reduce suspension stiffness?

i believe you should have bought a fiesta 1.6 ZXI/SXI..i think its cruel to soften the springs and ruin the sublime handling of a fiesta S..

moreover, instead of apollo acelere you should've chosen michelin xm1+/yokohama a.drives if you wanted ride comfort..
Old 16th October 2009, 17:53   #95
Senior - BHPian

For Fiesta's, have seen (posts) that most of the members (TBHP) have changed to Meichelin tyres. You may check some of the threads and will have more detailed information about tyre upgrading.
Thanks
Old 18th October 2009, 17:23   #96
BHPian

Was looking at this site for more options on alloy wheels.
Ford Alloy Wheels,Honda Crv Wheels,Mercedes Alloy Wheels,Civic Alloy Wheels,Supplier
Any idea how "Holes:4" would differ from "Holes:4H"?
Thanks in advance.
nura.
Old 18th October 2009, 17:47   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Hi! I am planning to buy a Ford Fiesta 1.6 Limited Edition & upgrade the tyres & wheels. My priorities are ride comfort, fuel efficiency & durability. The Limited Edition comes shod with 14" pressed steel rims & MRF ZV2K 175/65R14 tubeless tyres.
After doing a fair bit of research on Team BHP, I am inclined towards getting 14" alloys & 185/60R14 tubeless tyres. I have had a look at the Ford 14" alloys available with the dealer as original accessories & am wondering if they are a good buy. They are a bit plane Jane to look at, but seem pretty robustly built & the Ford logo in the centre actually looks quite attractive.
The dealer tells me that the pressed steel wheels as well as the alloys are 5.5" width. All other 14" alloys in the market seem to be 6" width. Does this mean that Ford alloy shod with 185/60R14 will fit in the Fiesta's spare wheel well, whereas the non-Ford alloys, because of the extra 0.5" width will not?
As far as the tyres go, I am looking at the Michelin XM1+ & the Apollo Acelere Sportz, with the Apollos being about 900 rupees lighter on the pocket.
I look forward to your suggestions.
nura.
+

Hai,
Do you have a photograph of the alloy which your dealer shown to you?
Whats the price of the alloy?

I have got a photograph of ford alloy from my dealer (see my Thread)
and I want to know if the same model your dealer also trying to push

The rate quoted to me was Rs.16,500/-

Cheers
Old 18th October 2009, 19:38   #98
BHPian

Hi nairrk!
Thanks for your reply.
I had presumed that Ford 14" alloys, sold as original accessory, would be identical to the ones on the SXI. Your picture, certainly, suggests that that is not correct. I now remember that the dealer told me that the Ford rear-spoiler, sold as original accessory, is different from the one that comes fitted on the S.
One Ford dealer quoted 19.5K for 4 alloys of 14". The other Ford dealer said he had alloys costing 17.5K, 18.5K & 35.5K. His sms did not specify size or number. I will try to get more information & post again.
Have you tried looking at Sai Mag Wheels?
Old 19th October 2009, 00:44   #99
Senior - BHPian

Doc ! Congrats in advance for the new car. Which colour? When?

Go for XM1+. 185/60 R14 should be fine. The 5.5/6J + tyre upsize could create a bulge in the boot. My Baleno 'boot board' does have a bulge since I've had a 195 tyre on the stock alloys. The OEM tyres were 185. But I presume it was designed for the erstwhile 165 tyres.

Try and check a 1.6S and a SXi boot. If the design is similar to the 1.6 LE, then you may not face any issue.

4 aftermarket alloys should cost you 15Kish. So if you feel you'll have more peace of mind with the Ford alloys for 4-5K extra - you could take that option.
Old 19th October 2009, 01:16   #100
BHPian

Thanks, shuvc. I was thinking that black would probably look nicest on the limited edition, since it does not have body coloured door-handles & ORVMs. Unfortunately, when I last spoke to the dealers, neither had the black colour. I quite liked the Paprika Red, that I saw at Ganges Ford, but am wondering if I will start hating it a few months down the line.
I am planning to take the family to Ganges Ford tomorrow & see if we can decide on the colour. Will appreciate your suggestions greatly.
Do you know if anyone deals in Hi Join alloys in Kolkata?
Thanks for your suggestion re comparing the boots. Will definitely do that tomorrow as well.
Old 19th October 2009, 02:04   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to take the family to Ganges Ford tomorrow & see if we can decide on the colour. Will appreciate your suggestions greatly.
How about getting the ORVMS, door handles painted by the dealer? Sometimes they do throw that in as part of the deal.

Have you also checked for the black colour with the new dealership - Victoria Ford, near Ruby?
Old 19th October 2009, 10:14   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi nairrk!
Thanks for your reply.
I had presumed that Ford 14" alloys, sold as original accessory, would be identical to the ones on the SXI. Your picture, certainly, suggests that that is not correct. I now remember that the dealer told me that the Ford rear-spoiler, sold as original accessory, is different from the one that comes fitted on the S.
One Ford dealer quoted 19.5K for 4 alloys of 14". The other Ford dealer said he had alloys costing 17.5K, 18.5K & 35.5K. His sms did not specify size or number. I will try to get more information & post again.
Have you tried looking at Sai Mag Wheels?
+
I have already asked the dealer about the SXi model Alloys for which his comments are that SXi accessories (like alloy wheels and rear-spoiler) are originally coming from Ford assembly and not yet available with dealers for sale. (I am not sure whether he is correct or not?).

For some reason (only one dealer available in my area that too 43kms away from my home), I prefer to take accessories from the dealer to avoid blaming me, if any other mechanical problem arises due to market purchases/fittings. He can always challenge the Warranty ?
Thanks
Old 19th October 2009, 11:22   #103
BHPian

@shuvc
I had met the service manager of Victoria Ford at the Weekend Auto Carnival on Camac Street & he had suggested painting them too. Do you think this can be done without removing the components from the car?
Had checked with both dealers re availability of black colour but it was a while ago. Will check again.
@nairrk
Agree with you totally re buying alloys from the dealer. Unfortunately what they are selling looks rather disappointing in your picture. Will check it out physically & post again.
Old 19th October 2009, 14:56   #104
Senior - BHPian

Doc, both the alloys will fit in the spare wheel well without an issue, so don't worry about that.
Old 19th October 2009, 16:47   #105
BHPian

Thanks, iraghava.
Any idea what the ET for the Fiesta is?
I was doing the calculations on "Wheel & Tyre Bible" & found that the change in rolling radius, circumference & speedo reading is less if I upgrade to 205/50R15 tyres on 15" wheels than if I upgrade to 185/60R14 tyres on 14" wheels. So should I opt for 205/50R15, then? Will the ride become too harsh? Will the softer springs of the limited edition (the springs of the S variant, which comes with 195/55R15 tyres on 15" wheels, are reported to be stiffer) be a mismatch for this modification?
Sorry for the many questions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks