Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 23:46   #106
BHPian

I am trying to understand the formulae for finding the backspacing of a wheel when the width & offset are known.
For positive offset wheels: (Wheel Width +1)/2 + (offset * 0.03937)
For negative offset wheels: (Wheel Width +1)/2 - (offset * 0.03937)
I can understand that the offset (in mm) is being multiplied by 0.03937 to convert to inches.
I can also understand the reason for dividing the wheel width by 2.
What I just can't figure out is why 1 is being added to the wheel width before dividing by 2! Is it that the back lip & front lip add up to 1 inch?
Sorry for my stupidity.

Last edited by nura : 19th October 2009 at 23:47.
Old 24th October 2009, 16:54   #107
BHPian

A very big thank you to all members who have posted on Fiesta tyre change in this & other threads. I have definitely learned a lot reading them.
I finally booked a Fiesta 1.6 ZXI & not the planned Limited Edition. Hopefully, I will get the car by next weekend. I have ordered a set of Ford alloys but my plans to change to 185/60R14 XM1+ tyres seem to have hit a roadblock. They are not available with any dealer in Kolkata. Neither are the Yokohama A drives. One dealer is offering Yokohama ES 100 for Rs3950. Is this a good buy? Have decided against the Acelere Sportz, as they are 2-3 years old.
The Ford dealer is advising against buying 5 alloys, saying that the spare wheel will rattle in the boot. Or is it more likely that he he gets them in lots of 4 only?
My thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 1st November 2009, 12:37   #108

Hi Suman/all Fiesta owners,
I have bought my Fiesta (1.6 zxi petrol platinum) 15 months back and gone 18k km till now. You had suggested not to upgrade the stock tyres that time. Now I am thinking of add alloy wheel as well as upgrading my stock tyres. So few queries:

1. Is it the right time to change the tyre and add alloy wheels (my car has gone 18k)? I am having 2 + 2 (extended) yrs warranty for my car. So can anybody tell me whether my warranty will be valid even after this change? If yes, then story ends here. If not, can ypu me please help me out the followings?
2. Which tyre will be best for my car (which ever will be combination of both comfort and ride and also give minimum speedo error and FE difference)? I was think of XM1+ 185/60 R14? Any other suggestions?
3.If I want to add alloy then which make I should go for? Any approximate cost? Any good dealer in Pune?
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:41   #109
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I have booked a Fiesta 1.6S and the delivery is expected next week. The TD car had Goodyear tyres which were quite noisy. I want to immediately upgrade to a set of tyres where the noise is minimal but I do not want to compromise on the S's handling and road grip. Is Michelin XM1+ the right choice for this requirement? Does it come in 195/55/R15?
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:47   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

In 195/55 R15, your only proper option is Yoko S drive or Yoko Advan Neovas.

No Michelin in that size. No Conti CPC2 in that size. You could speak to Deepak or tyrestore. He might have 195/55 R15 PP2s though they are not officially available in India.

I would say the PP2s would be the best bet.
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:43   #111
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil, thanks for the info. I'll check with Tyrestore. How noisy are the Yokos?
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:21   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

A little bit. Not as much as the NCT 5 which comes standard.
Old 5th November 2009, 03:20   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
A very big thank you to all members who have posted on Fiesta tyre change in this & other threads. I have definitely learned a lot reading them.
I finally booked a Fiesta 1.6 ZXI & not the planned Limited Edition. Hopefully, I will get the car by next weekend. I have ordered a set of Ford alloys but my plans to change to 185/60R14 XM1+ tyres seem to have hit a roadblock. They are not available with any dealer in Kolkata. Neither are the Yokohama A drives. One dealer is offering Yokohama ES 100 for Rs3950. Is this a good buy? Have decided against the Acelere Sportz, as they are 2-3 years old.
The Ford dealer is advising against buying 5 alloys, saying that the spare wheel will rattle in the boot. Or is it more likely that he he gets them in lots of 4 only?
My thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Doc, if I were you in your place, I would rather buy Michlien Energy XM1+ 185/65 R14 tyres.
Old 5th November 2009, 04:20   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

@nura:
Alloys are more commonly available in sets of 4.
Also, sometimes, if the spare alloy is larger than the standard size, it might not fit in the wheel well as well and may rattle. Though that has only happened to us with our old lancer, and no other car.
Old 5th November 2009, 23:28   #115
BHPian

Thanks, @iraghava & @lamborghini. I got 4 Ford alloys & replaced all 5 tyres with XM1+ 175/65 R14. I was reluctant to void my warranty.
Old 28th February 2010, 16:51   #116
BHPian

Upsize with Fusion rims?

I was thinking about upsizing my 14" rims with the 15" alloys from the Fiesta S-but the dealer says thats not possible as Ford will not sell them as accessories!
I then thought-why must all upsizes be only with alloys? So did some research on this forum and here's a comparison between the 14" Fiesta rims and 15" Fusion rims.

Ford Fiesta:
175/65 R14
PCD - 108
ET - 38
Rim - 5.5j
Holes - 4
Ground clearance - 168mm

Ford Fusion:
195/65 R15
PCD - 108
ET - 38
Rim - 6.5
Holes - 4?
Ground clearance - 198mm

Can any Fusion owner verify this info pls?

I am currently running on 185/60 R14 tyres on stock steel rims.My questions to the gurus.

1.Will the Fusion's steel rims be a direct fit on the Fiesta? If yes,what tyre size is best suited? 195/55 R15 ?
2.Will there be a significant increase in ground clearance, with the increase in rim size from 14" to 15"?

The attachment is a tyre calculator from www.euroshina.com.ua/calc.php?
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre-upsize.jpg  

Old 4th March 2010, 02:02   #117
Senior - BHPian

1. Should be if they're the same PCD & have the same number oh holes (which should be the case).
2. Not really, reason being that when calculating the new tyre size the OD (overall diameter) of the new tyre & wheel combo needs to be kept similar to the old one.

Best options would be either 195/55 R15 (standard on the Fiesta S) or 195/50 R15.
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:25   #118

Tyre & Alloys Upgrade for Ford Fiesta 1.6S

Hi Fellow BHP'ians

I have just booked myself a Ford Fiesta 1.6S and I am looking for some expert advise on the correct tyre & allow wheels upgrade.

The car comes shod with stock 15" alloy wheels 195/55/R16 Good Year PCT's which I wish to upgrade to larger alloys & tyres.

I could do some expert advise on getting some good rubber ( and alloys) considering that I am fairly "spirited" driver and I have worked out some options as below. I am ideally looking at larger wheels for the car as technically the wheel well's could accommodate the same:

1. 205/55/R16 - increases the overall diameter by 6.04% (+36 MM)
(available with leading tyre brands)

2. 215/55/R16 - increases the overall diameter by 7.90% (+47 MM)

3. 215/50/R16 - increases the overall diameter by 4.19% (+25 MM)
(Don't know whether this configuration is available in the market)

4. 215/45/R17 - increases the overall diameter by 4.87% (+29 MM)

It will help immensely if I could get some advise / leads / hands on experiences of fellow 1.6 S owners with pointers on:

- Which would be the best upgrade for performance (handling)

- Which would be best as a good compromise between performance & ride quality considering quality of roads (I live in Bangalore)

- Whether any of the configurations above will touch the wheel wells?

- Whether in general these configs may not touch the wheel well but may touch the upper part of wheel well when encountering a speed bump or a ditch?

- All the above configs would increase the overall ride height so I am keen to know how will that effect on speedo error, fuel economy?

Eagerly awaiting responses!

Thanks

Abhishek

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd March 2010 at 18:12. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread, Thanks
Old 29th March 2010, 15:35   #119
BHPian

Hi,
I am getting Fiesta 1.4 Sxi model. Please let me know which the best tyre size(185/65/R14 or 184/60R14). I am planning to go for Michlien Energy XM1+. Any idea about pricing in Bangalore?
Thanks,
Old 1st April 2010, 20:26   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi Chaturvedi View Post
Hi Fellow BHP'ians

I have just booked myself a Ford Fiesta 1.6S and I am looking for some expert advise on the correct tyre & allow wheels upgrade.

The car comes shod with stock 15" alloy wheels 195/55/R16 Good Year PCT's which I wish to upgrade to larger alloys & tyres.

I could do some expert advise on getting some good rubber ( and alloys) considering that I am fairly "spirited" driver and I have worked out some options as below. I am ideally looking at larger wheels for the car as technically the wheel well's could accommodate the same:
You sure the larger tires won't scrape? One of our members has reported scraping on full lock turns on 205/55/R15. His car started scraping after a visit to the A.S.S to sort out some other issues. Apparently it was not scraping before that. The 1.6S has a hard ride quality so an increase in rim size would probably make it more uncomfortable. Tire gurus on this forum can advise better.

I would suggest you get better rubber in the stock size or upsize to 205/50/R15. The Continental CPC2 appears to be a good mix of performance and comfort. The Yokohama S Drive is also another performance option. If you want extreme performance, get Advan Neova.

I have a 1.6S and I have been doing some spirited driving on just the stock rubber. I have not been let down till now. Only issue I have is tire noise. Just changing to better rubber while maintaining the stock size would be my suggestion.

Last edited by Gilead : 1st April 2010 at 20:35.

Most Viewed