Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 10:16   #151
BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Last weekend, i got new set of tyres for my Ford Fiesta. Its Yokohama A-Drive. Got it @ Rs.3,800 from Madhus, Bangalore. Upsized to 185/65/R14 from OEM size.

Earlier one, Bridgestone Turanza ER60, has done around 43000 KMS. It might go on for another 2-3k KMS. But i was not happy with the ride quality towards the end as it was stiff, jerky and noisy. But overall, it would rate this as Good.

After changing the tyres, Ride quality is good, soft. Theoretically, this tyre upsize should increase my GC by 6mm. So far So Good.
Old 12th December 2011, 07:42   #152
BHPian

Can you please post a picture of this change? I'm looking to pick up a Fiesta & presonally think choosing the right alloys is the most difficult decision for this car!
Old 16th December 2011, 18:16   #153
BHPian

Have crossed 93k km on my Ford Fiesta TDCI SXI. Had changed from the stock MRF ZVTS tiers at 55k to Goodyear. The second set has worn out now, (<40k, perhaps due to more high speed drives) and are looking for options. I have no intentions of upsizing. But my roads at certain stretches are quite bad with loose gravel, potholes and very uneven stretches.

From the forum, it looks like most are preferring Michelin XM+ or Bridgestone Turanza ER60. What would your recommendations be?
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:02   #154
Senior - BHPian

My Fiesta has done 17 K Kms and is running on the stock MRF tyres. I am not happy with the tyre noise at high speeds ( > 100 KM/H). If I change the tyres to Brigdgestone ER 60, will the tyre noise be reduced considerably? Please post your experience. I enquired in multiple showrooms and the price quoted for ER 60 is Rs 4950/- and I ight get around Rs 1000/ each for the current tyres. This means I will have to shell out Rs 16 K for the tyre upgrade. Will it be worth the money?
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:52   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
My Fiesta has done 17 K Kms and is running on the stock MRF tyres. I am not happy with the tyre noise at high speeds ( > 100 KM/H). If I change the tyres to Brigdgestone ER 60, will the tyre noise be reduced considerably? Please post your experience. I enquired in multiple showrooms and the price quoted for ER 60 is Rs 4950/- and I ight get around Rs 1000/ each for the current tyres. This means I will have to shell out Rs 16 K for the tyre upgrade. Will it be worth the money?
I have had the stock MRF tyres changed to Michelin Energy XM1+ during the delivery itself through the dealer. The overall exchange( 5tyres) had costed me 5K only. The tyres are definitley good with very less noise, fantastic grip esp during monsoons and are long lasting. In the past 2.5 yrs of ownership the only one tyre had 2 punctures. I feel you should go for the Michelins, dont have any exp on Bridgestones.

Have you enquired with Michelin dealer for the exchange?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:04   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have had the stock MRF tyres changed to Michelin Energy XM1+ during the delivery itself through the dealer. The overall exchange( 5tyres) had costed me 5K only. The tyres are definitley good with very less noise, fantastic grip esp during monsoons and are long lasting. In the past 2.5 yrs of ownership the only one tyre had 2 punctures. I feel you should go for the Michelins, dont have any exp on Bridgestones.

Have you enquired with Michelin dealer for the exchange?
I was considering Michelin Energy XM1+ and Bridgestone Turanza ER 60 but more people seemd to recommend Bridgestone. Michelin Energy XM1+ also has comparable price. Wanted to do a cost-benefit analysis before going for the tyre change.
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:26   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

16k is a good price. I think it's completely worth it. Personally I would suggest Michelin but Bridgestone ER 60 is good as well.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:48   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
16k is a good price. I think it's completely worth it. Personally I would suggest Michelin but Bridgestone ER 60 is good as well.
Any reason for recommending Michelin over Bridgestone? My priority is less road noise. Also tyre should be able to withstand bad roads.
Old 4th February 2012, 14:42   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Less road noise = Michelin.

Withstanding bad roads = Bridgestone. Though the Michelin is quite capable of habdling bad roads aswell, it is designed more for less noise and ride comfort.
Old 14th February 2012, 12:13   #160
BHPian

Dear bhpians,

Last week i went to nearby tyreshop for the free wheel alignment check-up. During the visit, I just checked the various options of tires and asked them to have a look at my tyres once. As he checked that, he said these are all grey market Michelin and made in Italy. You can't find the similar pattern of tires anywhere now-a-days. Also, these tires are made for snow roads not for indian roads etc. I was pretty much confused and these tyres were present when i got this car from the previous owner (around 42K) now it 67K done, still some thread left for another 5K. I'm posting the pictures for your reference. Kindly provide your opinions on the same. Tyre specs

Michelin XM1+ 185/65R14
Made in Italy
Make : 2606

Also, please let me know can these be rotated? (as per the direction)
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20120214_100922_143.jpg  

Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20120214_100935_968.jpg  

Old 15th February 2012, 11:24   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks different from what we get here normally.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mich...w=1200&bih=607

This design is what we usually get here. Maybe the dealer is right.
Old 15th February 2012, 11:45   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Less road noise = Michelin.

Though the Michelin is quite capable of habdling bad roads aswell, it is designed more for less noise and ride comfort.
I am facing exactly the opposite now. I am experiencing too much tyre/road noise in my Fiesta with Michelins although the grip and ride wise its fantastic. Dont know the reason for the same, could it be tyre inflation pressure?
I am experiencing this heavy noise since the last WA/WB, any tips what might have goen wrong?
Old 15th February 2012, 12:56   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I am facing exactly the opposite now. I am experiencing too much tyre/road noise in my Fiesta with Michelins although the grip and ride wise its fantastic. Dont know the reason for the same, could it be tyre inflation pressure?
I am experiencing this heavy noise since the last WA/WB, any tips what might have goen wrong?
Now that puts me in a spot. I was planning on the Michelins for my next change this year end, but your feedback on road noise has me confused now. I heard even the Yoko S drives are silent at first, and become noisy after 10 k. This is the first time I am reading that even the Michelins are noisy.

My pal changed his Embera's tyres to Michelin XM1 2 years ago, and even now they are silent, despite 15 K kms.
Old 15th February 2012, 13:50   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
This is the first time I am reading that even the Michelins are noisy.

My pal changed his Embera's tyres to Michelin XM1 2 years ago, and even now they are silent, despite 15 K kms.
Well they have become noisy very recently. My fiesta's already done 23K kms. I just wanted to know what are the practical reasons for the tyre noise becoming too evident. Should I doubt the rubber becoming hard, if so what are the reasons for it.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:13   #165
BHPian

Today, I've checked with another dealer. he said that the rubber became very hard (mine is 2006 batch michelin). Thus, i need to change tires asap even some tread left to avoid burst due to hardness. Also, he shown me the Yoko ES100 195/60 R14 tires costs 5k each. Are ES100 discontinued already? he says that they are still getting stocks from the company?. Please provide me your suggestions to go for ES100. I'm really stunned with it's looks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks