Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 15:27   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Well they have become noisy very recently. My fiesta's already done 23K kms. I just wanted to know what are the practical reasons for the tyre noise becoming too evident. Should I doubt the rubber becoming hard, if so what are the reasons for it.
Generally tyres get hard around 7 years after manufacture. It is better to change them at that stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Today, I've checked with another dealer. he said that the rubber became very hard (mine is 2006 batch michelin). Thus, i need to change tires asap even some tread left to avoid burst due to hardness. Also, he shown me the Yoko ES100 195/60 R14 tires costs 5k each. Are ES100 discontinued already? he says that they are still getting stocks from the company?. Please provide me your suggestions to go for ES100. I'm really stunned with it's looks.
Recently someone in Hyd bought Yoko S drives for 5 K each for his 1.6 S. He is very happy with them. I too sat in his car when the tyres were brand new, and found no road noise even at 150 kmph.

The S drives are soft compound performance tyres, and therefore should not get all that hard as they age. The only thing to watch out for are bad roads. Soft compound tyres are also reported to have more sidewall bulges, but I am not an expert.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 22:30   #167
BHPian

Thanks Man. Now I'm Planning to go with MRF ZLO 195/60R14 or 185/70R14. My car running on stock rims. Does rim change require? Kindly advise
Old 16th February 2012, 17:36   #168
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2012 at 15:35.
Jebs is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th February 2012, 20:25   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well they have become noisy very recently. My fiesta's already done 23K kms. I just wanted to know what are the practical reasons for the tyre noise becoming too evident. Should I doubt the rubber becoming hard, if so what are the reasons for it.
Are you sure it's the tyres and not a bearing or something? This amount of noise seems abnormal. Another member here had a problem with noise but it was later found to be a faulty bearing.
Old 17th February 2012, 07:34   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Are you sure it's the tyres and not a bearing or something? This amount of noise seems abnormal. Another member here had a problem with noise but it was later found to be a faulty bearing.
Thats exactly what I thought when I had read the earlier posts however since my car was serviced in Jan first week where I had pointed out the high noise. The workshop came back saying that they had indeed checked the front bearings and found everything to be intact.

I am planning to get them rechecked during the summer camp checks normally organized by Thane Ford dealer in the first week of April.
Old 17th February 2012, 08:48   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats exactly what I thought when I had read the earlier posts however since my car was serviced in Jan first week where I had pointed out the high noise. The workshop came back saying that they had indeed checked the front bearings and found everything to be intact.

I am planning to get them rechecked during the summer camp checks normally organized by Thane Ford dealer in the first week of April.
If you are doubting a faulty bearing, dont wait for the summer camp for getting it checked. Its a 10minute task to check the bearing and I would recommend getting it checked ASAP. A faulty bearing can easily damage to the suspension parts, I got the struts busted prematurely because of a faulty bearing!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 09:48   #172
BHPian

Quote:
still awaiting for your suggestions. Also, when i check the michelin site the correct upsize for fiesta is 195/60R14. But won't it reduce the GC to some extent where it is already low on GC.

Please provide your comments as i plan to change the tyres by this week-end
Compared to OEM 175/65-14 in the fiesta, GC will increase slightly when shifted to 195/60-14.If you are using OEM rims. the rim width will be specified somewhere on the outside of the rim IIRC when you remove the wheel cover. If it is 5.5 " then 195s can be mounted. I have done the same on my Figo and should be possible on Fiesta also.
Prass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 17:26   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
Compared to OEM 175/65-14 in the fiesta, GC will increase slightly when shifted to 195/60-14.If you are using OEM rims. the rim width will be specified somewhere on the outside of the rim IIRC when you remove the wheel cover. If it is 5.5 " then 195s can be mounted. I have done the same on my Figo and should be possible on Fiesta also.
Thanks Prass. Yes, comparing to OEM size , the GC will increase 4mm. But my currents tires are 185/65 section. If i put 195/60 now, then the GC will surely decrease by 3mm.

I planned to take my car to the Tyrestore, chennai tomorrow. Seems they have some tire analysis calculating machine (TAC) to check life of the tyres and tread-wears and all. I'll keep this thread posted.
Old 17th February 2012, 17:46   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Prass. Yes, comparing to OEM size , the GC will increase 4mm. But my currents tires are 185/65 section. If i put 195/60 now, then the GC will surely decrease by 3mm.

I planned to take my car to the Tyrestore, chennai tomorrow. Seems they have some tire analysis calculating machine (TAC) to check life of the tyres and tread-wears and all. I'll keep this thread posted.
Just saw your other post, but in any case dont go for 185/70-14 which is a wrong size, too tall for your fiesta.

Cheers

Last edited by Prass : 17th February 2012 at 17:47.
Prass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 17:48   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
Just saw your other post, but in any case dont go for 185/70-14 which is a wrong size, too tall.

Sure, I won't go this . I'm sticking with 185/65 or 195/60 only now. But the brand is to be decided yet.
Old 18th February 2012, 23:51   #176
BHPian

confusion gallore..

I have finalized my upsize(keeping the same size 185/65R14) not taking any risk with 195 section. And now the confusion between michelin and continental. During my visit to the tyre stores made me this confusion. Actually, continental CEC3 (185 section) looks little taller than Michelin XM1+. But michelin is broader anyways. This little height difference definitely helps me to get some increase in my GC isn't it?

I want the comfort/less noise and no compromise in handling. So, sticking with these two choices Michelin 185/65 R14 (4700) and Conti CEC3(4500). These prices inclusive of alignment,balancing and valves.

Please give a go btw these two with your final comments.

Also, my current Michelin tyres are Energy series (E3A) just got this info by one of the tyre dealer.
Old 19th February 2012, 19:48   #177
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Michelin if the price difference with the CEC3 is only 200!

Quote:
confusion gallore..

I have finalized my upsize(keeping the same size 185/65R14) not taking any risk with 195 section. And now the confusion between michelin and continental. During my visit to the tyre stores made me this confusion. Actually, continental CEC3 (185 section) looks little taller than Michelin XM1+. But michelin is broader anyways. This little height difference definitely helps me to get some increase in my GC isn't it?

I want the comfort/less noise and no compromise in handling. So, sticking with these two choices Michelin 185/65 R14 (4700) and Conti CEC3(4500). These prices inclusive of alignment,balancing and valves.

Please give a go btw these two with your final comments.

Also, my current Michelin tyres are Energy series (E3A) just got this info by one of the tyre dealer.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 22:38   #178
BHPian

Update:

At last, I've changed my all my tires to Michelin XM1+ 185/65R14 at Lal Tyres, Llyods road. Total damage to my pocket 19K inclusive of everything. Just drive them for few kilometers, it's too early to comment the same. But What i feel is , XM1+ is not really a looker (though my Energy series was good looking comparatively).

After a lot of confusion around my head last 2 weeks, I have forcefully decided to stick with majority of our bhpians. Thanks for all your inputs. I will post my experience after some more drive.
Old 31st March 2012, 11:13   #179
BHPian

Guys i'll be getting my fiesta in a week, and i'm keen on after-market alloys preferably 15".

Would would be the right upsize?
Old 11th April 2012, 16:22   #180
BHPian

My Fiesta Sxi is due for tyre change... looking for recommendations on the same.

I had got the rims and tyres changed to the Fiesta S OE alloy rims and Goodyear NCT5 tyres... Though am quite satisfied with the performance of NCT5, am looking at getting some other brand as replacement... basically looking at a mix of performance, non noisy, good mileage.

Had opted for Yokos Advan db for my accord and am quite happy with them on all these parameters but they don't come in this size.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks