Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 13:48   #211
BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I am a wee bit concerned about the point above, as the stock MRFs were quite silent even at triple digit speeds. But I guess that even the stock sized Michellins would exhibit the same characteristics related to road noise, and that the increase in profile might not have added to it.

One thing I'd like to know is whether the F.E. has been affected. And is the steering harder at low speeds during U-turns?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
I really can't comment on the F.E. as of now, because I haven't measured it properly. There is one thing we must keep in mind here about the F.E. - It is said to increase if we compare the stock ZV2K with the stock size XM2. But if we upsize, its always bound to decrease a bit, so probably both the factors will negate each other and I do not think we should see any increase/decrease in F.E.

I am travelling this weekend, doing a round trip of 600 kms, would note it down and let u know.
Guys,

I did a round trip of 650 odd kms yesterday (Hyderabad - Nanded - Hyderabad). It was a mix of the blissful Hyderabad-Nizamabad(NH7/44) and the bad strech of Nizamabad to Nanded(SH222).

Overall F.E. - 16 kmpl, which included a smooth drive for 400 kms and rest 200 kms where I had to brake frequently and drive a little aggressively to cover the distance in time.
Earlier, I used to get the same figure with the stock tyres, so I do not see a change, but if the roads were good throughout, I would have easily munched 17.

Rest of the details :
1. Grip - Excellent. I was doing turns with confidence and it was glued to the road.
2. Comfort - Excellent. On the bad roads too. Small potholes were not to be noticed.
3. Handling - Excellent. Nothing much to say, typical fiesta.
4. Road Noise - Noticable, but not irritating.

Now the issue I noticed.

Till the time I was doing an easy 120 kmph on a butter smooth tarmac, everything seemed fine. I saw a long long empty strech and pushed it to 140. Now the steering started to tremble a little bit, which was new to me. I easily touch that mark on the ORR here, but never noticed any such problem. I slowed down to 120 kmph, it was again normal.

Has anyone noticed something similar earlier ? Is this an issue because of the tyres and is it a matter of concern ?
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 16:05   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Guys,

Now the issue I noticed.

Till the time I was doing an easy 120 kmph on a butter smooth tarmac, everything seemed fine. I saw a long long empty strech and pushed it to 140. Now the steering started to tremble a little bit, which was new to me. I easily touch that mark on the ORR here, but never noticed any such problem. I slowed down to 120 kmph, it was again normal.

Has anyone noticed something similar earlier ? Is this an issue because of the tyres and is it a matter of concern ?
Thanks for the update. Wobbling at high speeds is a clear indication of improper wheel balancing/ alignment. My car too had a slight steering tremble between 110 to 120 kmph, when it was brand new and taken for a long ride. It got corrected soon after I got WA/WB done.

I get this done every 10 K kms, and go for a fast drive on the ORR to check later.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 17:32   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for the update. Wobbling at high speeds is a clear indication of improper wheel balancing/ alignment. My car too had a slight steering tremble between 110 to 120 kmph, when it was brand new and taken for a long ride. It got corrected soon after I got WA/WB done.

I get this done every 10 K kms, and go for a fast drive on the ORR to check later.
I sensed that, but the problem is that its been only 3 weeks that I got the tyres changed. WA and WB was done at that time. I am going to go for a check on the ORR here too, which is my trusted road for checking these things.
Old 1st October 2012, 15:50   #214
BHPian

Just got the tyres of my fiesta changed during the weekend.

Got 4 Yokohama A drives (175/65 R14) at Rs 4150 each. Had to pay another Rs 300 for alignment and balancing.

Total damage to the pocket is Rs 16,900/-

Have driven close to 100 kms after the tyre change and found that the tyres do provide better feel, grip and comfort . However i found them to be a little noisier than the stock MRF ZVTS tyres.

Will comment more on the noise levels after i clock atleast 1000 kms.

Last edited by Torque123 : 1st October 2012 at 15:52.
Old 8th October 2012, 09:51   #215

Re: Ford Classic alloy wheel + tyre upsize query

Folks - A relative newbie here, so please help out.

Am planning to replace my 2005 Swift 1.3 ZXi with the Fiesta Classic 1.6 - new Titanium variant, and replace the stock tires with 195/60 R14s.

Question: Is the rim width of the OEM alloys on the Fiesta Classic adequate to take 195/60 R14s? I'm told the minimum rim size needed for 195/60 is 5.5J. Would anyone know what's the rim size on the OEM alloys on the Fiesta Classic?

cheers,
JP
Old 21st November 2012, 01:05   #216
BHPian

Friends, the stock NCT5 in my Fiesta 1.6S is due for replacement, but i find very few options in the size 195/55/R15. The stock ones are quite noisy and i would prefer something better. A dealer in chennai suggested Hankook though im not sure of the brand. Kindly suggest the best possible alternative
Old 21st November 2012, 12:35   #217
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Classic alloy wheel + tyre upsize query

As far as I know, the Figo & the Fiesta share the rims & the Figo uses 5.5J rims. But do wait for the confirmation from a couple of other Bhpians.

Or even better would be to check with Ford service centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprash75 View Post
Folks - A relative newbie here, so please help out.

Am planning to replace my 2005 Swift 1.3 ZXi with the Fiesta Classic 1.6 - new Titanium variant, and replace the stock tires with 195/60 R14s.

Question: Is the rim width of the OEM alloys on the Fiesta Classic adequate to take 195/60 R14s? I'm told the minimum rim size needed for 195/60 is 5.5J. Would anyone know what's the rim size on the OEM alloys on the Fiesta Classic?

cheers,
JP
Old 21st November 2012, 13:42   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
One thing though. I haven't seen Ford being too finicky about warranties with tyres. Maybe that's just me.
I agree with you. When I consulted a Sr Executive of the dealer about my intention to upsize my new Figo's tyres to 185/65/14, he told me to go ahead. He also said there would be no issues with warranty.

I'm delighted with the new XM2s. I have hardly driven a kilometer on the stock tyres, therefore I did not feel the steering to get harder. And I'm benefiting from better GC too.

I plan to do the same for my Fiesta in the next fiscal year, so that the bill can be used towards maintenance cost for the Company Lease Scheme. The stock MRFs have done only 37 K so far.
Old 24th November 2012, 19:02   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK72 View Post
Friends, the stock NCT5 in my Fiesta 1.6S is due for replacement, but i find very few options in the size 195/55/R15. The stock ones are quite noisy and i would prefer something better. A dealer in chennai suggested Hankook though im not sure of the brand. Kindly suggest the best possible alternative
Friends, pls help
Old 24th November 2012, 19:07   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, pls help
Old 25th November 2012, 00:57   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK72

Friends, pls help
You take ANY road away from the nct5,and youre good.
I shifted from nct5 to continentals about a month back,and havent been glad-der.

See if you can find sizes in continental/michelin/yoko on mytyre.com
Edit: or is that changemytyre?

Last edited by mayankk : 25th November 2012 at 00:59.
Old 25th November 2012, 12:23   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PM Neilguy. I remember he changed his Fiesta S's tyres to Yokos S drives a year ago. I don't have the size and price details.
Old 27th November 2012, 09:15   #223
Senior - BHPian

The choices are Yoko S-Drives/Continental Premium Contact2/Maxxis MA-Z1.

I have used the CPC2 and MAZ1. I loved the grip and ride quality from the MAZ1. The CPC2 were excellent in the rain, but lacked grip and felt the stopping distance had slightly increased compared to the NCT5. The MAZ1s are brilliant.

Quote:
Friends, pls help
Old 12th December 2012, 15:05   #224
BHPian

My Fiesta's tyres need replacement. Its a 1.6 ZXI ABS model. My first priority will be durability as in ability to withstand bad/no roads condition followed by grip as the roads near my home which lead to the main roads are next to non existent or even if you find a nice patch it will be immediately followed by craters. I am ok even if they last 30 KKms before wearing out. Mostly i need to travel in this condition for a km or two km to reach the main road depending on which side of the city i am travelling to and add to that a construction is going on near my home where I have to cross a lot of concrete/ stone rubbish to reach the already pathetic roads.

I am inclined towards Michelin XM2 185/65/14 based on Fiest@DuraTec's reviews, but not sure about their durability. Should I go for MRF's(which came as stock and has withstood the abuse) or can I go ahead with the Michelin's ? guys please help.
Old 12th December 2012, 15:43   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
My Fiesta's tyres need replacement. Its a 1.6 ZXI ABS model. My first priority will be durability as in ability to withstand bad/no roads condition followed by grip as the roads near my home which lead to the main roads are next to non existent or even if you find a nice patch it will be immediately followed by craters.
Michelins would serve your requirement, I would suggest avoid MRF's as they have a poor grip. As an alternative you can check out Yokos or Bridgestones and suggest to stick to the stock size 175/65. Or do you find any need to upgrade to 185/65.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks