Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2012, 15:57   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
My Fiesta's tyres need replacement.

I am inclined towards Michelin XM2 185/65/14 based on Fiest@DuraTec's reviews, but not sure about their durability. Should I go for MRF's(which came as stock and has withstood the abuse) or can I go ahead with the Michelin's ? guys please help.
Bridgestone is a good alternative, as stated by @ghodlur. I am running Potenza GIII on my Figo, and it has withstood enormous abuse over the past 10,000 km without a single puncture.
And I really mean it when I say I have abused my car. Front suspension work recently done
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 16:01   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
My Fiesta's tyres need replacement. Its a 1.6 ZXI ABS model. My first priority will be durability as in ability to withstand bad/no roads condition followed by grip as the roads near my home which lead to the main roads are next to non existent or even if you
Why can't you go for Bridgestone MY01 Sports Tourier.I am using it my IKON for last 1 year and on same road conditions.

Already covered 10000 Kms and nice grip at all conditions.

Price when i bought 185/60/R14-4600 P/T
BinFord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 08:51   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
Why can't you go for Bridgestone MY01 Sports Tourier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Bridgestone is a good alternative, as stated by @ghodlur. I am running Potenza GIII on my Figo, and it has withstood enormous abuse over the past 10,000 km without a single puncture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Michelins would serve your requirement, I would suggest avoid MRF's as they have a poor grip. As an alternative you can check out Yokos or Bridgestones and suggest to stick to the stock size 175/65. Or do you find any need to upgrade to 185/65.
Thanks for the suggestions @Ghodlur, KiloAlpha and BinFord.

I wil look into Bridgestone too. I am really not very keen on upsizing as i have to negotiate the car into many alleys before reaching my place, but worried more about the sidewall and tyre durability( the thread on tyre blowouts helped in this regard).

I am not considering Yoko's as i read too many stories about their sidewall failure. As fas a grip is concerned that would be an added benefit. I haven't run out of grip with the MRFs till now except when i push the hard on concrete roads @ 1st and 2nd gear .

So it would be between Michelin and Bridgestone then!! will lookout for the dealers and the tyre availability in and around my area. Thanks again guys.
Old 29th December 2012, 21:17   #229
BHPian

I switched from my stock tyres to Michelin XM2 1885/65/R14s for my 2006 Ford Fiesta. I got them for 5k per tyre from Reliance Auto, HSR Layout. It was a good experience purchasing from there, with me buying, fitting and balancing in about an hour and half on a weekend, which was much better than I expected.
I have covered around 2K since then, with more than half of the 2K being done on a drive to Hyderabad over the Xmas weekend.
I have noticed an immediate difference in terms of ride comfort (mainly in the city) and a slight increase in ground clearance. There is also an improvement in road noise and braking performance on the highways.
Old 29th December 2012, 23:57   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
I switched from my stock tyres to Michelin XM2 1885/65/R14s for my 2006 Ford Fiesta. I got them for 5k per tyre from Reliance Auto, HSR Layout. It was a good experience purchasing from there, with me buying, fitting and balancing in about an hour and half on a weekend, which was much better than I expected.
I have covered around 2K since then, with more than half of the 2K being done on a drive to Hyderabad over the Xmas weekend.
I have noticed an immediate difference in terms of ride comfort (mainly in the city) and a slight increase in ground clearance. There is also an improvement in road noise and braking performance on the highways.
Good to know this. I am eagerly waiting for my car to complete 40 k to go for a similar change.

By the way, what brand were your stock tyres, and how many kms did you munch on them?

And do you find any difference on the FE front?
Old 30th December 2012, 21:09   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Good to know this. I am eagerly waiting for my car to complete 40 k to go for a similar change.

By the way, what brand were your stock tyres, and how many kms did you munch on them?

And do you find any difference on the FE front?
My stock brand were MRFs. I was having punctures almost every alternate month and were proving to be a major hassle.

I had bought the car when it had run 27K and I covered till 40K on the stock.

I have not noticed any appreciable change in the FE.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2012, 21:43   #232
Senior - BHPian

I'm getting even more eager to go for a similar change, but need to wait till April so that I can get some income tax benefits on car maintenance.

I changed my Figo's tyres on day 1 to XM2s of 185/65/14 profile and find it immensely pleasurable to drive. The grip and handling are better than my Fiesta's ---which still runs on stock MRFs
Old 4th February 2013, 16:09   #233
BHPian

Guys need feedback from you all. My fiesta has done over 10k kms now and i am using the stock MRF tires.

I find the ride very very hard. How much improvement in ride comfort did you guys notice when you upgraded from your stock tires.
Old 4th February 2013, 16:33   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99 View Post
Hi, i am currently running good year eagle G2s on my fiesta 1.6, i have found that these tyres appart from being extremely problematic with frequent bubbling are also wearing out and due for a change. The oe tyre size was 175/65/14, my current tyres are 185/60/14. However i am looking to upgrade my tyres to 195/60/14. I would like to know weather this size would be O.k. Also can anyone suggest which tyres to go in for. My priorities are mostly traction and reliability.
Hi anarchy_99

Why can’t you try with Bridgestone MY -01 Sports Tourier. I am using it my IKON Tdci for past 1 year and driven around 17K.Till now no issues and good for all types of roads. I have chosen this against Michelin to compound Kerala’s tough road conditions during monsoon and other seasons. It can handle pretty well on all roads.

My size is 185/60/R14
Old 19th February 2013, 10:33   #235
BHPian

Which is a logical upsize for the Fiesta - 185/60/R14 or 185/65/R14?
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:11   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

185/65-14 is better as the ride comfort is good and the ground clearance is also better than 185/60-14.
Old 23rd February 2013, 23:51   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
185/65-14 is better as the ride comfort is good and the ground clearance is also better than 185/60-14.
Thanks for the reply mate.

Was recently arguing with the SA at Planet Ford recently about a change in tires voiding the warranty for the car. Don't understand this logic.

MY fiesta is 6 months old and i find the ride with the stock MRF's extremely stiff, hence my need to change the tires.

Last edited by ishotmydog : 23rd February 2013 at 23:58.
Old 24th February 2013, 22:20   #238
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone faced any challenges with a 195/60/14 upsize on the Fiesta (now Classic)? Are the stock alloys 5.5J size?
And what options are available in the market in that size? I found A Drives, ES100, XM2 and Acceleres. Anything else?
Old 25th February 2013, 10:16   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Has anyone faced any challenges with a 195/60/14 upsize on the Fiesta (now Classic)?
I have Yoko A drive in that size on my SXI petrol (older non classic version), absolutely no issue so far (~21K, 3 years). Only downside is mileage will suffer by 0.5 km in City ride. Though highway mileage is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
And what options are available in the market in that size? I found A Drives, ES100, XM2 and Acceleres. Anything else?
You should check MRF ZLO also.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 25th February 2013 at 10:18. Reason: corrections
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 19:50   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
Thanks for the reply mate.

Was recently arguing with the SA at Planet Ford recently about a change in tires voiding the warranty for the car. Don't understand this logic.

MY fiesta is 6 months old and i find the ride with the stock MRF's extremely stiff, hence my need to change the tires.
For some reason Ford is a little anal about the tyre sizes. Very very particular.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks