Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2014, 17:39   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
This query is regarding the Ford Classic whose official tyre specs are 175/65 R14. Is it possible to upgrade to 15 inch rims? If yes then what width and aspect ratio?
Ford Fiesta S came with 15 inch alloys 195 55 R15 rubber. But Fiesta Classic comes with a HPS which may become even harder with upgrade to wider rubber. Fiesta S had different HPS to deal with wider rubber.

My suggestion would be to stay put with stock size.
Old 15th December 2014, 08:06   #347
BHPian

Hi All,
As mentioned, upgraded my rides tyres from 175/65 to 185/65 r14s, Yokohama Earth 1s. The ride is harsher compared to the previous MRF's and I feel the tyre pressure has to be changed?
The current pressure that I maintain is 30 psi Front and 35 Rear. Should I go for a lower pressure for a softer ride?

Thanks,
Glen
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 08:18   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Hi All,
As mentioned, upgraded my rides tyres from 175/65 to 185/65 r14s, Yokohama Earth 1s. The ride is harsher compared to the previous MRF's and I feel the tyre pressure has to be changed?
The current pressure that I maintain is 30 psi Front and 35 Rear. Should I go for a lower pressure for a softer ride?

Thanks,
Glen
Maintain 30-32 in all four, you'll see a marked difference.
Why are you running 35 in the rear.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 09:24   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks,
Glen
I made the same switch and the ride has improved, I guess the excess pressure is at fault. Please try 30 to 32 all around and revert on your experience.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 12:28   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Maintain 30-32 in all four, you'll see a marked difference.
Why are you running 35 in the rear.
The manual says so. 35 for normal load and 44 when full!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I made the same switch and the ride has improved, I guess the excess pressure is at fault. Please try 30 to 32 all around and revert on your experience.
I should try this now.
Old 16th December 2014, 12:09   #351
BHPian

I maintain 30psi for city and 32psi for long highway trips (with a full trunk). That should give you the coveted ride and handling.
XetaGLGRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 20:05   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The recommended pressure on the driver side door says 30 psi all around if its city driving. With full load of 5 passengers and luggage, the recommended pressure is 36 psi front and 44 psi rear!!

I too changed the tyres on my new Classic 1.6 to 185/65/R14 Continental CC5 and the ride is definitely much better over bad roads compared to the stock MRF's. I maintain 30 psi all around.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 11:44   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I too changed the tyres on my new Classic 1.6 to 185/65/R14 Continental CC5 and the ride is definitely much better over bad roads compared to the stock MRF's. I maintain 30 psi all around.
Won't Ford void suspension and steering warranty for this? Is the dealer okay with changing tyre size?
Old 19th December 2014, 11:59   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Won't Ford void suspension and steering warranty for this? Is the dealer okay with changing tyre size?
Talking by the book, yes Ford will void the warranty.

But I guess if one has a good rapport with the service center it is possible to still get things done under warranty.

Nonetheless, the better ride and handling afforded by the wider/better rubber offsets the Damocles sword of warranty forfeiture.

My car is out of warranty so it is immaterial in my context.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 12:16   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Talking by the book, yes Ford will void the warranty.

But I guess if one has a good rapport with the service center it is possible to still get things done under warranty.

Nonetheless, the better ride and handling afforded by the wider/better rubber offsets the Damocles sword of warranty forfeiture.

My car is out of warranty so it is immaterial in my context.
Yup definitely depends on the rapport with the service center.
The suspension warranty I am told is over by about 35000 km. The upsize helps me cover Bangalores infamous speed breakers.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 16:18   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure of this. I went to the SVC on the 4th day after taking delivery. The SA saw the tyres and asked me if I had changed it. When said yes, he did not say anything at that time. When walking around the service center i saw that they themselves are advertising the upsizing and its benefits (Board was from Bridgestone & the SVC carried a few tyres). They even described different types of up sizing as well (0, +1, +2). So they should not have an issue ideally but you never know how these SVC's work. As already mentioned by other BHPian's it would depend on the rapport with the service center personnel.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 19th December 2014 at 16:19.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 08:28   #357
Senior - BHPian

The stock MRF zv2k tyre doesn't show the expected wear for the 42k km done, but the hard(ended) rubber is giving me frequent punctures.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imag0024.jpg  

Old 6th February 2015, 11:08   #358
BHPian

My Fiesta Classic's trye nightmare continues.. At 26k on the odo, with stock GoodYear tyres, 3 out of 4 tyres have screwed up. The tyres have lost the shape i.e the surface isn't flat and bulged at some places with even treadwear indicating tyre issue and no mechanical issue.

Last edited by FordDodo : 6th February 2015 at 11:12.
Old 6th February 2015, 12:02   #359
BHPian

Why don't you have them inspected by a Goodyear service engineer ? It may be a deformation fault. Call 1800-266-6767 and give them vehicle details and tyre serial nos. A service engineer will call you back to arrange the inspection at a tyre store closest to your location.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 11:17   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Why don't you have them inspected by a Goodyear service engineer ? It may be a deformation fault. Call 1800-266-6767 and give them vehicle details and tyre serial nos.
Thanks for the info! Just registered a complaint.

Today I removed one of the tyres and rolled it on a even floor. The tyre rolled over in zig zag manner!

Most Viewed