Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2008, 03:08   #1
BHPian

Speed rating & cost of tyre

I am planning an upsize for my car, not sure of the rims i want to go for yet, but they will either be 16" or 17" [BBS for those who are wondering]

I was curious as to what the price range is for wide lo-pros for these rims.
Speed rating of V or Z. i would like to know the price range as that would decide which rim size I will go for [don't want to burn cash by burning rubber]

Which brand is best at high speed? I'm open to using any brand. Am currently using Michelins, Apollo Accellare, and Bridgestone on my other cars, but on the car in question i've only used Goodyears which were direct imports from Germany I believe...Am happy only with the Michelins and Goodyears. Heard the Indian GYs are crap?!?

Thx cheers:
G
Old 10th February 2008, 03:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Indian goodyears are crap.You still get only the gs d2/3 when it comes to their performance tires and those themselves are 3 years old!

When it comes to outright grip,i think the only tire that comes close to the Advan sport/Neova range are the michelin piot sports.

Ideally these are the two brands you should be looking at,Abslutely no clue about the pricing.
Old 10th February 2008, 03:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Can we first know for what car are you considering these??
Old 10th February 2008, 03:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pilot Sport 2 is available in 225/45 R17 and higher with a Y rating. The Pilot Preceda 2 which is a very similar tread pattern is available in 15"/16" and 17". Using the latter and the grip both in wet and dry is just incredible. The ride quality is extremely good too for a performance tyre.

The veyron did the 407.5 kph run on michelin pilot sports 2. Speaks volumes about how capable the tyres are.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 10th February 2008 at 03:43.
Old 10th February 2008, 03:52   #5
BHPian

BMW e30 with enough power to shred H and maybe even V rated tyres
The car will cross 200kmph albeit rarely, but I need to be shure that the tyres will not give under such stress.
[just got back from a run at 185 before the first post. Do not try this at home ]
and since the rims are gonna cost me a bomb, don't want the tyres to add to that!
Also anyone done a 4lug to 5 lug conversion before? what is the approximate cost?

G
Old 10th February 2008, 04:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Which E30?? 325 or 328?? Also, what are the stock sizes on the car? Accordingly we can advise what would be the best upsizes & what options would be available.

Is this car in India? 4 to 5 lug conversion is not common & unless you have a tried & tested kit it is not recommended.
Old 10th February 2008, 23:17   #7

Do not change the speed code recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. There is always a reason for the vehicle manufacturer to fit tyres as OE with a speed code and load index.

Most of the European brand tyres are produced in consultancy with the vehicle manufacturers. Fit only those tyres which have a " * " ( Star ) on the side wall of the tyres. This star denotes that the tyre is produced for a BMW. Every vehicle has a different BHP, Weight, Length, height, torque etc. Tyres are produced as per the specifications of the vehicles. Do not take chance in case of high performance vehicles like BMW. Fit what BMW recommends or at least fit a tyre that is produced in the same country where the vehicle is produced in. In this case BMW is from Germany fit tyres produced in Germany. Brands like Pirelli, Michelin etc.

Try 225/45ZR 17 P Zero Rosso of Pirelli.
Old 11th February 2008, 00:43   #8
TDR

Well, I'm from Europe and lot's of my friends are going for Toyo Proxes tyres. The V-Profile T1-R & T1-S are very popular here! Especially, the bigger ones, for 15, 16, 17" rims and width 205+.

A collegue of mine has Toyo Proxes fitted to her Renault Clio II RS. A good
friend of mine has these on his V6 2,5l Volvo 850 Estate. And my sister
has them under her Mitsubishi Charisma 1,8 GDi.

To be honest, they are all "autobahn" drivers. Which means they are
driving their cars on the interstate highway/motorway most of the time.
Good quality roads without any bumps & defects. Don't know how well
these would hold up driving them on lesser roads.

What I'm trying to say here is that while Michelin and Pirelli are the best
known tyre brands in Europe, this certainly does not mean it's the tyre
of choice here.

Personally, I've used Pirelly P5000 Drago tyres on a VW Golf II GT (loved those tyres!), then Michelin Energy tyres on our current Maruti Zen (good grip & wear but awful noise). Replaced them later with Pirelly P3000 tyres
(good grip & wear but a bit noisy, better than the Michelins, though).

Bought some new rims & tyres for our, soon to buy Alto VXi, the tires are Toyo 350's. A friend of mine has them on his Daihatsu Charade. I can tell
you one thing... these tyres are quiet! Plus they perform very well on wet roads.

What I'm trying to say here is that us European drivers don't use tyres from Europe all the time... we just use what's good. We don't really care where they come from.

TDR
Old 11th February 2008, 01:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The veyron did the 407.5 kph run on michelin pilot sports 2. Speaks volumes about how capable the tyres are.
It did them on custom Michelin Pax system tyres. PS2s pale in comparison to PS Cups.
Old 11th February 2008, 01:56   #10
BHPian

see problem is i want to get out of the planning stage real fast, and jump into the execution stage, my car will no longet be stock, so it doesn't really matter...point is it's gonna be fast, and hence need a good set of wheels under me...

I just need a rough estimate so i can go ahead, leaning towards using Michelins, as that's what my current daily drive uses [Corrolla], and am quite happy with them.

Also how much would a set of 16" and 17" BBS rims run me? 4 lug...[Again range please, doesn't have to be accurate, I know they're expensive, would like to know the upper end, so I can play it safe...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Is this car in India? 4 to 5 lug conversion is not common & unless you have a tried & tested kit it is not recommended.
car is in Mumbai, I want to refrain from the conversion, but 4 lug rims are hard to come by...

thx
G
Old 11th February 2008, 02:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
see problem is i want to get out of the planning stage real fast, and jump into the execution stage, my car will no longet be stock, so it doesn't really matter...point is it's gonna be fast, and hence need a good set of wheels under me...
Unless you tell us what kind of power you're looking to put down & what your stock size is, how can we suggest you the best possible options?? I would like to suggest 225's maybe but if you're going to be putting down 300+ bhp then they would be woefully inadequate for the purpose. And unless we have the stock sizes we can't give you the correct upsize as otherwise it will give you a Speedo error & screw up all your readings.

So please, for your own benefit answer the above questions clearly & to the point for us to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Also how much would a set of 16" and 17" BBS rims run me? 4 lug...[Again range please, doesn't have to be accurate, I know they're expensive, would like to know the upper end, so I can play it safe...]

car is in Mumbai, I want to refrain from the conversion, but 4 lug rims are hard to come by...
Officially you could be looking at anywhere around 60-70k for a set of 4 16" OZ's & slightly more for 17". Methods are the distributors for OZ in India so I suggest you contact them for exact quotes here: Methods Car Parts and Car Accessories Online Shop and Distributors in Bangalore India, K&N Performance Filters, Sparco Motorsport Accessories

As for BBS, PJSpeed is the official distributor for them in India so you can contact them here: PJ SPEED SHOP

And if you need 100 PCD, 4-lug rims, they're available aplenty for all sizes & rpice ranges. I don't think there is any shortage of them in the market.
Old 11th February 2008, 03:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
It did them on custom Michelin Pax system tyres. PS2s pale in comparison to PS Cups.
But then PS Cups are not meant for a daily driver .
Old 11th February 2008, 21:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

naughty naughty! me thinks DocG needs Z Rated Advan Sports
Old 24th February 2008, 23:48   #14
BHPian

sorry for the delay, but finally got down to having a look at my tyres...

Goodyear Eagle NCT5 - 185/65 R14

What's the right upsize is both 16 and 17 inch?
And what are the best alternatives, these tyres have a lot of bad reviews, i personally haven't found anything wrong with them under normal conditions, but when i drift like i was doing earlier today, you loose a lot of confidence, and do feel as though you might drive into the CCD your're staring at
I would like to go much wider....but keep in mind that Mumbai floods up pretty fast!
Old 24th February 2008, 23:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
naughty naughty! me thinks DocG needs Z Rated Advan Sports
Arush man you know all about my car by now...i need to give you a call soon anyway, i want a discount on those Advans

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks