Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2008, 17:46   #16
BHPian

@ iraghava

i want run-flat tyre dealers in delhi, we are in the business of bullet proofing (armouring) and want these tyres with road guard.any idea where i can get them in delhi???
Old 13th February 2008, 00:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, will PM you the details of the dealers tomorrow. What sizes do you usually need??
Old 15th February 2008, 12:29   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

The repair didn't work out too well. The additional weight was causing issues with the wheel balancing.
Took the plunge...got a new one for 21k .. Ouch!
but still a small price for peace of mind.
Old 15th February 2008, 12:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

That's always a problem with sidewall repair for all tyres whether RFT or Non-RFT. The repairing never lets the balancing settle as there is a permanent bulge in the sidewall which will always cause steering shake at speed.
Old 15th February 2008, 12:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The repair didn't work out too well. The additional weight was causing issues with the wheel balancing.
Took the plunge...got a new one for 21k .. Ouch!
but still a small price for peace of mind.
so you bought it from Lalit of four seasons?
Old 15th February 2008, 18:41   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Got it from Infinty itself.
Old 25th July 2008, 18:00   #22
BHPian

Some Comments

I have been reading some interesting stuff on Runflats on this thread.

Comments from experts (sic):

No side wall repairs->The piece never gets balanced & doesn't last as well. The feeling of riding your Beamer on repaired tyre is so uneasy. You must watch the RFT video available with Bavaria (BMW Dealer-Pune) & you will never switch to standard tubeless radial for your Beamer.

Puncture repairs: Yes you can have the punctures repaired. But then these are high spead tyres fitted on mean machines. I will not bet my 60 lac car for a puncture repair.

Experience: Driven 38,000 Kms on my 530d (CBU with Runflats). No puncture & no bulges. Have BSI+R (5 Years 100,000 Kms) & Secure to complete the package. My secure will pay for any puncture if I end up being unlucky with my wheels.

I am told that Bulged Tyres are not covered by BSI+R, Secure, Warranty etc. I have to pay for them. THE FLIP SIDE. The dealer shared with me the following link. (Look @ the last picture)

Dunlop Tyres UK
Old 26th July 2008, 03:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

this is a little off topic but could you shed some more light on the Secure insurance?

I did not get it with my car as they werent willing to transfer my 65% NCB on my current policy but now the dealer mighht just be able to do it.

In that case id like to make the switch as i already shelled out 21k for a run flat last time. Although i would shift to regular tubeless once these wear out.

Would secure then be useful for me? What are the "extra" benifits?
Old 26th July 2008, 10:48   #24
BHPian

On Secure "Insurance"-

Let's discuss it here ... as amply clarified to me before buying the Secure package.

Secure is NOT insurance. BMW Secure is a BMW product. What BMW seems to be trying to do is to cover every aspect of the car's running expenses (read: maintenance, accidents etc) to the maximum so that the customers like u & I do not end up being the odd one out who's beamer is suddenly wanting spares & drilling holes in the pocket. (Read minimizing risk of ownership)

Let's see the combination: You have Warranty (2 Years) + Some dealer's Goodwill (to help those odd cases) + a 5y/100 BSI+R + Insirance. This covers you just about completely for the next 5 Years. There is no repair expense that you can foresee after applying the above combination that you cannot pay for from the petty change you carry in your pocket.

The EXCEPTIONS: With the above combination, only major maintenance expense that's left is

- the Depreciation part on Insurance Claim.
- the Punctured Tyres.

Buying a Secure implies that in case of

- An accident repair, the depreciation portion, excess clause etc which is short settled by the Insurance Company is paid by BMW Secure. (Not by car owner)
- RFT Punctures: You can avail upto a set of 4 tyres replacement for punctures. There is a partial payout though 100% for new tyre - 30% with worn out tyre eg 1.6 mm tread left. NOTE: Claiming punctured tyres does not affect your NCB in any way.

There are hosts of other personal benefits that are bundled into Secure. This, the F&I manager at the dealership can explain.

For me, I went to the showroom with a given 'Expense on my mind'. The generous 5Y/100 BSI+R and other trinklets that I picked have given me sufficient piece of mind.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

The only recurring expenses on my Beamer now are: Fuel, The 1 litre oil can that I keep in the boot, INR 450.00 pm that I give to washing boy.

Flip Side: Tyre Sidewall Damages - No respite anywhere. The only solution that I found is to treat yur Beamer as it is to be treated...There won't be those cracked sidewalls.
Old 12th July 2010, 14:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
I have been reading some interesting stuff on Runflats on this thread.

Comments from experts (sic):

No side wall repairs->The piece never gets balanced & doesn't last as well. The feeling of riding your Beamer on repaired tyre is so uneasy. You must watch the RFT video available with Bavaria (BMW Dealer-Pune) & you will never switch to standard tubeless radial for your Beamer.
Hey BeamerBoy, could you please elaborate on the above?
Old 13th July 2010, 15:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Hey BeamerBoy, could you please elaborate on the above?
This Quote is from Long Long Time Ago. I have stuck to RFTs still.

Actually I saw a video during the initial days at the Pune Dealer. The overenthusiastic Service Manager showed to me. I quite liked the idea and the logic of RFTs and hence my comment. I hate stopping on the road for tyre change and so my feelings.

The RFT video I wish was available with me to be shared but then there is something else on the you tube. Don't know if the link works but I'll still try.

Old 19th May 2019, 20:11   #27
Team-BHP Support

Re: Run-Flat tyre dealers in Mumbai?

Guys. Mumbai question.

Assuming I want to replace with stock spec run flats for existing 3 GT - what’s the best place to source them from? Purchase price and fitment cost wise? Infinity (dealer) or aftermarket tyre dealers? Any recommended car dealer in mumbai if that’s the better way?

Thanks.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th May 2019 at 20:12.
Old 19th May 2019, 22:20   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Guys. Mumbai question.

Assuming I want to replace with stock spec run flats for existing 3 GT - what’s the best place to source them from? Purchase price and fitment cost wise? Infinity (dealer) or aftermarket tyre dealers? Any recommended car dealer in mumbai if that’s the better way?

Thanks.
Though I do not know about specific tire dealers in Mumbai, in general, it will be quite expensive if you get it replaced at the BMW dealer, especially for fitment. In my case, I got a quote of 12.6K to fit the tires (including balancing and alignment) at the local BMW dealer. Got it done for 1.7k in a reputed tire shop. I still sourced the tire from Bangalore dealer as it was an odd size (255/50/18 rear tires).

In your GT, I believe all the tires are 225/50/18. This size is easily available and any reputed tire dealer should be able to get it.

I would suggest you to go for Continental Conti Sport Contact 5 SSR. These tires have very good comfort for RFTs.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 09:09   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
In your GT, I believe all the tires are 225/50/18. This size is easily available and any reputed tire dealer should be able to get it.

I would suggest you to go for Continental Conti Sport Contact 5 SSR. These tires have very good comfort for RFTs.
Thanks Graaja. This is very useful input regardless. I know Saifee in Santacruz is pretty reputed so will ask them for a quote for the tyres as well as labour / alignment etc. I'm not 100% sure but I think my stock tyres might also be Continental Conti Sport. (not sure about the Contact 5 SSR bit - shows how clueless I am on matters of tread).

My car has done about 34k kms, thinking of changing pre-monsoon because a couple of them have had a few punctures too many fixed and I'm assuming the tread is now on its way to replacement although will be good to get a specific opinion from an expert (preferably one who's not incentivised on the sale itself).

Guys, if there are any other tyre dealers you can recommend please do let me know.

Thanks,
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 11:17   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
not sure about the Contact 5 SSR bit...
Conti Sport Contact 5 comes in both regular tubeless and run flat options. SSR indicates that the tires are run flats.

Most Viewed