Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2005, 14:51   #1
BHPian

Dilemma abt wheels for new Baleno

Hey guys,

I'm goin in for a new Baleno Lxi and I went through a couple of threads on tire/rim sizes, but ended up totally confused! I was sortof thinking of 14" /5.5" alloys with 195/70 tubeless tyres.....but thought I'd check with the experts first!

I'm looking for a rim and types with the following in mind:
1) Good handling and grip at high speeds
2) Mileage should not be reduced by more than 1 Kmpl
3) The ride quality should not be hard
4) Should not make too much noise
5) Not too exorbitantly priced
6) should not compromise on the performance of the car/lead to any short or long term damage

I know that this is a big wish-list, but could you please recommend a combination (plz specify recommended makes of rim and tyre if possible) that somewhat satisfies these critieria? Also can anyone let me know where I can get these in Bangalore.

Thanks in advance!
Old 25th January 2005, 15:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ok here are your options :

For handling - 195/60 R14

For comfort - 175/70 R14

Best of both worlds - 185/65 R14

I would personally suggest 185/65 R14s, considering your criterias. Since the Baleno is a light car, i think 185's should do the job. They'll provide you with enuf grip while taking corners or braking with pretty good ride comfort.

And don't worry, you suspenssion or speedo wont get affected with the mentioned tyre sizes.

The Goodyear GS D2s do come in this size. But will have to check on their availability in India.

GS D2 Tyre Sizes

Or you can go in for the Bridgestone Potenzas'.

Shan2u
Old 25th January 2005, 16:12   #3
BHPian

Thanx for the quick response!

By the way, I forgot to include this in my question; which is recommendable for the typical India road - tubeless types or the usual sort?

I'm wondering about the impact of a road (if it can be called that!) with lots of potholes and maybe even a section of unmade road (read a bed of stones!) on tubeless types.

And do tubeless tyres get punctured? If yes, can a typical tyre shop in some small town fix this? I wouldn't want to go into the countryside knowing that they can't be fixed easily......
Old 25th January 2005, 16:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, I forgot to include this in my question; which is recommendable for the typical India road - tubeless types or the usual sort?
If you're gonna have alloy wheels on your car, then there's no harm fitting them with tubeless tyres.

Quote:
I'm wondering about the impact of a road (if it can be called that!) with lots of potholes and maybe even a section of unmade road (read a bed of stones!) on tubeless types.
Any tyre for that matter is prone to get damaged if driven harshly on bad roads. Tubeless tyres aren't that delicate.

Quote:
And do tubeless tyres get punctured? If yes, can a typical tyre shop in some small town fix this? I wouldn't want to go into the countryside knowing that they can't be fixed easily......
Well, if a nail or any other penetrant object enters the tyre, the tyre wont lose air as long as the object keeps the puncture wound blocked.

It's always a good thing to keep a tube at hand, since it can be used in the tubeless tyre as a temporary arrangement until you get to a service station capable of handling and mending tubeless tyres. Plus, you get a company provided mending kit with instructions n all.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 25th January 2005 at 16:26.
Old 25th January 2005, 22:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hi Sonic,

For your requirements i would suggets a 185 width tire as well.

Tubeless tires are definitely the safer way to go, and can be temporarily made useable again if your in the countryside as Shan2nu mentioned..... however dont forget u also will have a spare tire... so shouldnt be an issue.

Now about which tires to choose - The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2's mentioned are an option... however they are marketed as "sport" tires, and hence i feel they do not completely meet your other requirements, being -
Quote:
3) The ride quality should not be hard
4) Should not make too much noise
I have heard conflicting reports of the eagle f1s being noisy.... and since they are sport tires they will have stiffer sidewalls than other tires.

Check out Michelin's "Pilot Precedas" for a good sport/comfort/quiteness balance, or the Michelin Certis if you want to lean towards comfort some more.... (these are still exceptionally grippy tires!...)

Cheers
R
Old 27th January 2005, 10:20   #6
BHPian

How ever i have used the 185 Michelin Certis in my Santro and its realy good, but it does makes sound as i feel its compound is hard. but the grip and comfort is realy good. In my Baleno i am using 205 yokohama es100 series tires and it doesnt make any sound and silent unless until you have 3 digit in the speedo. The ride and comfort is just fantastic but you have to be very careful about the psi inside as even +2 psi will make a lot lot of difference in the ride quality, i maintain 28psi always and i feel this is the optimom.
Old 27th January 2005, 11:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02
How ever i have used the 185 Michelin Certis in my Santro and its realy good, but it does makes sound as i feel its compound is hard. but the grip and comfort is realy good. .

hey tabrez,
if u have used 185 in ur santro keeping the OD in mind,then ur profile has to be lower.
mabbe thats the reason u r saying abt the hard ride.or hard compound
Old 27th January 2005, 11:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hey Tabrez,

Maybe the fact that the certis are on the santro and the yokohomas are on a baleno in comparison ?? :P
I have never heard any noise from the certis...but then they are on a merc!

What do you mean by "i feel its compound is hard"? in terms of comfort (apparently not).. so im guessing u mean noise wise?...either way the compound is pretty soft IMO.

I guess a good way of seeing how noisy tires are (trying to eliminate the differences between NVH levels of different cars) would be to go past a wall or something that reflects sound, late at night when its quiet, in a high gear so u minimize engine noise...and then compare... try it out if u have some time.

cya
R
Old 10th February 2005, 20:26   #9
BHPian

Guys,

Just visited Hot Tracks......Michelin does not make 185/65 R14 tyres at all. The only other combination that has a somewhat similar OD are the 195/60 R14. But I guess that these would mean that ride comfort/quality is compromised AND they cost 4000 apiece!!:( They do have 185/65 in Goodyear - the ones that come with the Optra.....are these good enough? Or do you guys have something else that might fit the bill........

Also checked out a few alloys
1) HR 14" - set of 5 costs 19/20K
2) League 14" - 5 costs 17/18K

The guy in the shop told me that HR is better than League in quality.....not sure if that is true since a lot of people here recommend League! Any opinions on this one? And are the prices reasonable?

Last edited by sonic : 10th February 2005 at 20:27. Reason: typos and missed rim size!
Old 10th February 2005, 21:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
Guys,

Just visited Hot Tracks......Michelin does not make 185/65 R14 tyres at all. The only other combination that has a somewhat similar OD are the 195/60 R14. But I guess that these would mean that ride comfort/quality is compromised AND they cost 4000 apiece!!:( They do have 185/65 in Goodyear - the ones that come with the Optra.....are these good enough? Or do you guys have something else that might fit the bill........

The guy in the shop told me that HR is better than League in quality.....not sure if that is true since a lot of people here recommend League! Any opinions on this one? And are the prices reasonable?
I was there soon after I dropped you off - I told him about your request. Did you see the black Baleno being done up with 15" wheels? I can vouch for Goodyear - decent ride , good wet grip and fairly robust
Old 10th February 2005, 21:33   #11
BHPian

Yup, saw the Black Baleno with 15" wheels! I thought the alloy design choice was a shade too gaudy though. Color tinted alloys are not for me!
Old 11th February 2005, 02:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
cost 4000 apiece!!:......

Hey Sonic,

The prices for the tires seem a couple of hundred to exxpensive, and the alloys a couple of grand too expensive! (you can get a set of 5 14" in bombay for ~16k), so i donno whether these prices are ok for banglore or what...

About league vs HR, they will pretty much equate to the same thing. There wont really be any noticeable difference.

cya
R
Old 11th February 2005, 07:41   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
The prices for the tires seem a couple of hundred to exxpensive, and the alloys a couple of grand too expensive! (you can get a set of 5 14" in bombay for ~16k), so i donno whether these prices are ok for banglore or what...
Rehaan, Bangalore rates are always more than Bombay. If you remember we've discussed this during my Optra's wheel shopping.

In fact I would say he's getting a better price than what I got that time.
Old 11th February 2005, 09:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Michelin does not make 185/65 R14 tyres at all. The only other combination that has a somewhat similar OD are the 195/60 R14. They do have 185/65 in Goodyear - the ones that come with the Optra.....are these good enough? Or do you guys have something else that might fit the bill........
Any suggestions on the above?? Should I go for 185/65 with Goodyear or 195/60 with Michelin? My thought is that with 195/60 the ride comfort would not be too good; this is a key factor since my dad is also going to be driving this car extensively!

Rudra, could you give me your opinion on the Goodyear 185/65 R14s, since your Optra had these tyres.

~Sonic

Last edited by sonic : 11th February 2005 at 09:08.
Old 11th February 2005, 10:07   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rudra, could you give me your opinion on the Goodyear 185/65 R14s, since your Optra had these tyres.~Sonic
Actually I had no practical reason for shifting to 205/50. Only issue (visual) was 14inch size too small and found it to be narrow for Optra's hulk.

Goodyear 185/65 R14 is really great and you can say noiseless. Even at high speed it remains the same. Less chance of brake lock up due to great grip. Confident cornering for mid size cars..this was one problem for Optra. Being bigger than Balenos and Hondas, it used to give me a feeling of rear end about to give up.

Just close your eyes and go for it. You won't regret and I promise so will be your father.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks