Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 11:05   #1
BHPian

Which tyre from the limited list below??

Goodmorning all,

Let me bore u fellows again with my search for "High performance tyre upgrade" for my Baleno. To those of u who have yet to be subject to my incessant stream of queries and whining, I have GoodYear Ducaros in my Baleno in the size 195/60-14 and am due to change it now.

Was very keen on Yokohama ES100 but couldn't find it anywhere in these parts or Kolkata. Ordering them from Delhi is too much of a hassle.

The local tyre dealer at Siliguri has the following tyres in the above size-

1) Apollo Acelere
2) GoodYear F1 GS D2
3) GoodYEar Eagle Ventura
4) Pirelli Corus Driver (??)

I Googled Pirelli "Corus Driver" but couldn't find any info about them???
Which of the above should i choose for my ride? I need good grip, esp. in the wet and high speed stability.

Was very keen on the F1s two years back and settled on the Ducaros when I couldn't find them locally. Now, I hear there are lots of complaints about them- tyre noise, punctures and sidewall bursts. Is this true?

What about GoodYear Ventura?

Should i just forgo all of the above and get myself a Michelin (Energy??) from Kolkata? It's a bit more trouble hauling tyres in a bus from Kolkata but maybe worth it?

Please give Ur feedback.
Thanks.

PS- I noticed that there are two patterns on the F1s. one of them is the continuous V ribs from the edge of the tyre to the centre - sexier looking- and on the other, the ribs are broken near the sidewall. Is this the GSD2 and GSD3 difference? Can I find the former in the above size? Which is better?
Old 4th March 2008, 14:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am not a guru but my 2 cents.Appolo accelere for more tyre life.Good year should come with a softer compound so more grip and lesser life.there should be a michelin dealer at your place.why no ry those too.
ram
Old 4th March 2008, 14:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Apollo Accelere from the above list.

Low noise,good grip and less cost == Total VFM and peace of mind
Old 4th March 2008, 14:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dont really know about the pirelli corus, the tyrewallah will be along to tell you about that. The goodyear eagle ventura is not a bad tyre from that list as also is the acceleres.
Old 4th March 2008, 14:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

I would give full marks to acelere. Its not the "best" but as an all rounder its great. A tough tire, with adequate grip and good braking.
Have been using it for 15000kms+ now and I am pretty happy with it.
Old 4th March 2008, 14:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Was very keen on Yokohama ES100 but couldn't find it anywhere in these parts or Kolkata.
Did you check with Indo Radial (Minku)?

Quote:
Was very keen on the F1s two years back and settled on the Ducaros when I couldn't find them locally. Now, I hear there are lots of complaints about them- tyre noise, punctures and sidewall bursts. Is this true?
I've been using 195/60 14" GS D2s for 17K kms/1 year now. I had one sidewall tear on the 7th day when I went into a sharp pothole at 50kmph with a sickening thud.

Replaced the tyre. Since then no issues. No tears, no bulges nothing. Tread depth indicates a good amount of life left still. And I haven't really mollycoddled the tyres over bad roads. You know how Kolkata roads are, right? Had just 2 punctures where the nail got stuck. On both occasions there was no immediate impact. Tyre deflated slowly over a day or two.

Love the grip. Wet weather grip is also very good. Ride has not been an issue. I stick to around 30psi. Braking improved, compared to my earlier 185 NCT5s.

Yes they are noisy. Initially not, but increases a bit after a few thousand kms. Frankly, other than the noise, which I don't feel much due to the ICE , I have no complaints.

Quote:
What about GoodYear Ventura?
Good tyres from what I've heard. PM @nikunj_cal - he's using 195s on his SwiftD.

Quote:
PS- I noticed that there are two patterns on the F1s. one of them is the continuous V ribs from the edge of the tyre to the centre - sexier looking- and on the other, the ribs are broken near the sidewall. Is this the GSD2 and GSD3 difference? Can I find the former in the above size? Which is better?
The GS D3s don't come in 14" sizes. Starts from 15". So no point thinking about them.
Old 4th March 2008, 14:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

From your list, it has to be the Apollo Acelere....very good VFM; would have probably bought Acelere had I not found Energy XM1+ at an even better VFM price
Old 4th March 2008, 14:50   #8
BHPian

It'll have to be the Goodyear eagle ventura's for me. Great lookers ,low road noise, good grip and I guess not too heavy on the wallet either.
Old 4th March 2008, 15:05   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Please avoid the Eagle F1's like a plague. Horrible tyres, search around for some reviews on Team-BHP.
Old 4th March 2008, 15:27   #10
BHPian

I had Ventura on my lancer and i think it's a very hard tyre which lasts long. But hence you are looking for high performance tyres you can either go for Michelin Pilot Precede or Bridgestone Potenza G3. Both have excellent grip in wet and also high speed cornering capabilities for their price.
Old 4th March 2008, 15:33   #11
BHPian

I had Ventura on my Lancer and i feel it to be hard but lasts long. I would suggest you to go for either Bridgestone Potenza G3 or Michelin pilot Preceda.
Old 4th March 2008, 17:37   #12
BHPian

Yup Shuv, called Minku Aggarwal up. He doesn't have any Yokohamas. He said the brand wasn't available anyhere in these parts :-(
If i don't go for one of these above at Siliguri, Guess I'll go for Michelin. But which one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Did you check with Indo Radial (Minku)?
How Heavy we talking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
It'll have to be the Goodyear eagle ventura's for me. Great lookers ,low road noise, good grip and I guess not too heavy on the wallet either.
GTO, I have noticed earlier that u were dead set against Eagle F1s. Could u elaborate why? Also am not able to find the thread with their review. Could u please show me, Por Favor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please avoid the Eagle F1's like a plague. Horrible tyres, search around for some reviews on Team-BHP.
Guys, all of U, thanks for the prompt replies.

For a tyre to have real good grip and high performance, does it HAVE to be so soft that it punctures so often and the sidewalls blows up hitting rocks and kerbs? Isn't there a good compromise- a tyre having really good grip, are not too expensive yet are not too soft and last a little longer than 25k kms? Seems kinda like looking for a perfect Hot wife/Dutiful Bahu..
Old 4th March 2008, 17:40   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For a tyre to have real good grip and high performance, does it HAVE to be so soft that it punctures so often and the sidewalls blows up hitting rocks and kerbs? Isn't there a good compromise- a tyre having really good grip, are not too expensive yet are not too soft and last a little longer than 25k kms? Seems kinda like looking for a perfect Hot wife/Dutiful Bahu..
bridgestone potena g3 fits your description. but its outta production though you should still get it.
Old 4th March 2008, 21:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Puffdamgcdragon

-Please stay away from goodyears now.
- How are Sikkim roads...?
Old 4th March 2008, 22:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest Michelins..but seems you dont have the options.. I have Michelin energy XM1 (185/65R14) in my Baleno (changed after Gyear Eagle NCT 5s) and after 18k kms..the tyres are still super silent / Comfortable and look like they wil last a lot... (50k+?)
the only gripe is that the grip is less compared to Potenzas..guess that's a tradeoff you will always need to make...that said..they have very decent levels of grip...

Last edited by Buffetfan : 4th March 2008 at 22:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks