Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 01:32   #1
BHPian

Need advice on selling bmw x5 run flat tires (then getting new ones)

i want to get normal 255/55 r18 tyres and not run flats that came stock with the x5 e70. i have barely 1000 km on the car, and was wondering what would be the best method to sell them off, and purchase normal tyres of the same size.

these are the ones i have on right now: click here
and here

bmw have told me selling price per wheel is 30,000/-. on the website it says 440 dollars which is about 18,000, hence with all the import duties, 30,000 seems to be acceptable.

does anyone know how much normal tyres of the same aspect ratio, wheel size will cost me? where can i buy them from?

thanks for the help in advance.
Old 17th March 2008, 09:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its a technology at a cost. Read that you can drive on the run-flats for 80km or plus and then you may have to dump these tyres and get new ones!!!

Is it true?
Old 17th March 2008, 09:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its a buyer's market for these odd size OE tyres.
Inform a few popular dealers in ur city about the tyres. They should go for an ok price.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5india View Post
i want to get normal 255/55 r18 tyres and not run flats that came stock with the x5 e70. i have barely 1000 km on the car, and was wondering what would be the best method to sell them off, and purchase normal tyres of the same size.

these are the ones i have on right now: click here
and here

bmw have told me selling price per wheel is 30,000/-. on the website it says 440 dollars which is about 18,000, hence with all the import duties, 30,000 seems to be acceptable.

does anyone know how much normal tyres of the same aspect ratio, wheel size will cost me? where can i buy them from?

thanks for the help in advance.
No tyre co. is getting RUNFLATS on their own so there is shortage of RFTs
i think so you should be able to sell off your RFTs easily.
Non-RFTs should be around 18K.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:18   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Though run-flats aren't available easily, I doubt there would be too many potential buyers for RFTs with the size / spec of X5 rubber.

Butttttttttttttttttttttt I do see, and agree with, a change back to regular tyres. Maybe your BMW dealership will be the best place to trade?
Old 17th March 2008, 13:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

I doubt BMW will trade with normal tyres Rush. They're quite anal about these things unless you're firm with them.

X5- Best option is what itzzme said, ask around some of the bigger dealers in Delhi, they'll be the best place to trade these tyres in.
Old 17th March 2008, 18:08   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I doubt BMW will trade with normal tyres Rush. They're quite anal about these things unless you're firm with them.
Okay, no trade. What about a simple buy back? Am sure there would be another X5 owner somewhere who may be looking for exactly these tyres?
Old 17th March 2008, 18:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

30,000 rs per piece,WOAH.I seriously doubt if there would be any takers for them.Anyways you can post it on the classifieds section.
ram
Old 17th March 2008, 18:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Ive heard if you change the tyres to non Run flat types BMW voids the warranty,Is it true?
Old 17th March 2008, 23:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Ive heard if you change the tyres to non Run flat types BMW voids the warranty,Is it true?
thanks for all the replies. i should have done this even before delivery, though i never actually knew how rough the ride is over patchy roads. even my new crv is better.

i am not sure if bmw will void warranty, though they cannot tell me what tyres i can and cannot put on once these wear down.

normal ones are 18 a piece? still expensive.

yes, these can be driven at speeds up to 80 km/h and a distance of some 150 kms, hence they work without having no air pressure inside them. thats why the sidewalls are so strong. at the bmw event i went to in pune, they told me each tyre weighed 50 kg!

bmw in general does not service runflats (only dunlops can be repaired) but the service guy said they will do it because a new one is very expensive.

bmw are idiots for not having fit their cars with normal tyres! i say have runflats when the roads are good. but nothing is ever good in india!
Old 18th March 2008, 12:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

x5india , go thru my thread incase you haven't already http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...rs-mumbai.html

In a nutshell, you are better of sticking with your run flats until they wear out as the buybacks are ridiculous. Fortunately the run flats are suppose to have a short thread life so i am looking to switch over to regular tubeless once they wear out.
Old 18th March 2008, 12:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
False. Warranty stays.
Old 20th May 2008, 00:56   #13
BHPian

Had a bad weekend, my front passemger tire did hit a pothole at around 45-50 mph and I felt something might have gone wrong; I could feel the vibration in my steering on my way home, saw a big bulge on the sidewall. The shock was too strong but the tire didnt blast though. Its just been a month, I took the delivery and I feel low, for car going into garage

Well I called up the dealer today morning and she says the tire cost $315 (225/45/R17 Bridgestone), fortunately I bought tire and wheel coverage along with the car for 5 yrs.

What material is the sidewall made off! Its as strong as a steel if you feel it.
I dont know whether its an advantage or a dis-advantage to have run-flat tires but for my other cars you can just fix the flat tire and you are good to go.

Anshuman: BMW will not void your warranty for Tires/Wheels. They will not cover warranty for the replaced ones, I guess

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 20th May 2008 at 00:59.
Old 6th June 2008, 21:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Had a bad weekend, my front passemger tire did hit a pothole at around 45-50 mph and I felt something might have gone wrong; I could feel the vibration in my steering on my way home, saw a big bulge on the sidewall. The shock was too strong but the tire didnt blast though. Its just been a month, I took the delivery and I feel low, for car going into garage

Well I called up the dealer today morning and she says the tire cost $315 (225/45/R17 Bridgestone), fortunately I bought tire and wheel coverage along with the car for 5 yrs.

What material is the sidewall made off! Its as strong as a steel if you feel it.
I dont know whether its an advantage or a dis-advantage to have run-flat tires but for my other cars you can just fix the flat tire and you are good to go.

Anshuman: BMW will not void your warranty for Tires/Wheels. They will not cover warranty for the replaced ones, I guess

They use Kevlar in Run Flat tires, the stuff Bullet proof vests are made of.

Most Viewed