Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2008, 14:10   #1
BHPian

Weird issue with Goodyear GT3 Tubeless Tyres

Hi,
I had purchased 5 Goodyear GT3 Tubeless tyres to replace the stock tyres on my XETA last July. A few days back I spotted the words "TUBE TYPE" on all 5. I was very surprised to see this and contacted the dealer. He claimed that GT3 doe not sell tyres as "TUBE TYPE" and "TUBELESS TYPE" separately. The one that has "TUBE TYPE" written is used as "TUBELESS".
Is this a true statement ? Or has the guy taken me for a ride ?

The Tyres have not given me any trouble at all till date. They are performing as they should.

Any suggestions from the gurus?
Old 11th March 2009, 21:21   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XetaGLGRocks View Post
Hi,
I had purchased 5 Goodyear GT3 Tubeless tyres to replace the stock tyres on my XETA last July. A few days back I spotted the words "TUBE TYPE" on all 5. I was very surprised to see this and contacted the dealer. He claimed that GT3 doe not sell tyres as "TUBE TYPE" and "TUBELESS TYPE" separately. The one that has "TUBE TYPE" written is used as "TUBELESS".
Is this a true statement ? Or has the guy taken me for a ride ?

The Tyres have not given me any trouble at all till date. They are performing as they should.

Any suggestions from the gurus?
Hi. My new U-VA has them as stock tyres. And they are tubeless (with same embrossed on them)
Old 12th March 2009, 02:20   #3
BHPian

Did you get the tyres from Indo Radial?
Old 12th March 2009, 04:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

You unfortunately have been taken for a ride by the dealer. Those tyres are Tube types fitted with tubeless valves to make them tubeless.

However, given the time that has passed, I doubt there's anything you could do. But find another dealer for your next purchase.
Old 12th March 2009, 08:38   #5
BHPian

They can be fitted as tubeless tyres and will not give any trouble in regard to performance or safety. But the dealer should have told you of this beforehand instead of you finding it out and then losing sleep over it.
Old 12th March 2009, 09:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The construction is actually identical. There is no difference between the tubeless and tubetype versions of that tyre. That is why it could be fitted as a tubeless too. Otherwise by now, it would have started leaking.

It is basically a way of the dealer making quick money off you. Tubeless tyres are more expensive. Tubetype are cheaper. So, he would have got these for cheaper from the company and now he is selling it to you at the tubeless rates which are quite a bit higher.
Old 12th March 2009, 12:30   #7
BHPian

Nikhil you're very wrong here. Goodyear GT3 tubetype tyre is more expensive than GT3 tubeless. And the price diffrence is for the reason that the cost of tube is added to the tube-type tyre.. Technically if you see that is the way it should be and is the case with all tubeless sizes in goodyear. It's only brands like bridgestone that rip off customers by selling tubeless tyres too at the same price as tube-type ones. Do you seriously think that the input cost of a halo-butyl lining for the tubeless tyre is anywhere equivalent to a butyl tube ??
Old 12th March 2009, 12:45   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, in that case MRF too. Because there are MRF ZV2K tyres which come in tubetype and Tubeless. And Tubetype is cheaper.
Old 12th March 2009, 14:41   #9
BHPian

Well I think at least people in the tyre trade know how MRF works. Besides throttling supplies to it's dealers to create an artficial shortage of it's tyres it also follows funny pricing policies. We'll be going completely OT if we start having a discussion on that her,so let's leave it at that.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:02   #10
BANNED

Looks like that there may be another reason. Even though the construction is identical those which meet the specs for Air Loss are sold as Tubeless, while those which fail the test are labelled tube types.

Even more than this it could simply the matter of over production of tubeless tyres and these are then flogged as tube types. A tubeless tyre can always be used with a tube. As for pricing while 90% of the time you change the tube with the tyre, in principle you can buy the tyre without the tube.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Looks like that there may be another reason. Even though the construction is identical those which meet the specs for Air Loss are sold as Tubeless, while those which fail the test are labelled tube types.

Even more than this it could simply the matter of over production of tubeless tyres and these are then flogged as tube types. A tubeless tyre can always be used with a tube. As for pricing while 90% of the time you change the tube with the tyre, in principle you can buy the tyre without the tube.
Do you mean to say that a majority of our cars are running on failed tyres ?? This is not the case my friend,but I like the way you think
Old 12th March 2009, 15:25   #12
BANNED

No I never said that. If the inner liner fails the test there is no reason for the rest of the tyre to be suspect. The tyre is perfectly suited for Tubed Operation.

Remember in the good old days all cars came fitted with tubeless tyres, and as soon you had a puncture you put in a tube since repair facilities for tubeless tyres were non-existent. So running tubes in tubeless tyres is almost as old as the Indian Made Car!
Old 12th March 2009, 15:35   #13
BHPian

sgiitk I agree with every word you say and apologize for having doubted your knowledge on tyres. You have the last word my friend, I retract my statements.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

the difference between the first post and the next is almost an year
Old 12th March 2009, 16:24   #15
BHPian

lol dadu I never noticed that. I guess his tyres would've half worn out by now.

Most Viewed