Team-BHP - Tyre Damage after hitting a large stone.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Tyre Damage after hitting a large stone. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/38644-tyre-damage-after-hitting-large-stone.html)

Today while driving towards Anand Vihar I hit a large stone that was kept on the road I dont know why :Frustrati. There was a tractor trolley in the fast lane and a Sumo forced him onto the middle lane and started overtaking it. I followed the Sumo and suddenly he swerved to one side but I was a bit too fast and had no chance at any anything with the tractor to my left and the median to my right. Managed to just avoid hitting that slab bang on but still managed to burst both my right side tyres.
The damage report: The front tyre wall has a gash nad the inner tube has a big hole. The rear tyre rubber is perfect but the tube has a big cut and its not holding the puncture patch.
Emergency Repair: Changed the tube on the rear tyre and has put it up front. The spare tyre has come onto the rear right.
Solutions: Now either I keep this combination for good and get the damaged tyre as spare after putting in a new tube or get the spare back into the boot and continue using the earlier tyres after putting in new tubes.
Questions I need answered;
1. If I am to use the spare tyre where should I put it considering that the other tyres have run 11K and what effect would it have on handelling?
2. If i continue using the tyres as before and put the damaged tyre at the back and the ok tyre up front, would it still be ok? The gash is on the side wall and can be glued at the tear.

Please tell me what to do. The car is Indigo Marina and the tyres are stock Apollo Amazers.please:Thanks.

which ever tyre you use, Please do the balancing of wheel first. Any deformation of rim will result in uneven tyre wear, even if you install a new one. Also do the alignment after that.

If I were you I will replace the tyres. As parts such as tyres cannot be compromised whatsoever. 2200/- (marina) is not a big price to pay for safety.

PS: Also check with apollo in your area (if you know a dealer), apollo has amazing warranty. i don't like the tyre though.

@sir Alec the rims are perfect not a dent on them. Just a small chip off the wheel cover thats all. Ill check up with the apollo guys during the day.

If cost is not an issue get tubeless tyres all around. Otherwise do replace the tyre. Its not a good idea to use a patched up tyre anywhere. If you must, keep it as your spare. Again if you are going long distances you don't want to be driving on a patched up tyre for long.

Get the suspension arm checked..

Vikram - Forget about the tyre with the busted sidewall, repairing it is no good you need to replace it. Get a new tyre in place of it & depending on the condition of your other tyres either use it or keep it as a spare.

I think best thing would be to use the spare tyre you currently have & the new tyre on the rear axle & the remaining two on the front axle. The rear tyre (whose tube got busted) would be best shifted to the spare.

And yes get the rims checked for bends & also get balancing & alignment done. Getting the suspension arm checked up would also be a good idea. There is a good chance it might have gotten bent.

Thanks folks. Got the things checked. The arm is ok no damage or anything. The other tyre is also ship shape. The two new tyres (the spare & the one I need to buy go on the rear axle) the right rear trye goes up front while the existing front right tyre (the one which was originally on the left rear and was involved in the puncture) goes as spare.
The tyres are Apollo Amazer XL 175/65 R14 82 T and the price quoted for a tyre & tube is Rs 2800.
What a crying shame and wasteage of money.lolz.

Tyre change done but what is foxing me now is this:-
While turning the car once I turn the wheel fully the tyre is scrapping against the mud flap. What could be the possible reason for this? It is the front right side tyre only which got busted. Though the suspension arm and the other things were said to be ok by the mechanic what could be the possible reason for thsi scrapping?

get the sturts checked by a Good mech and also get a alignment done, just in case. Keep us posted even if these dont reveal the problems.

Definitely a bent Arm or Rod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 808809)
Definitely a bent Arm or Rod.

I agree, the suspension arm could be possibly damaged due to impact. You never know. Get it checked thoroughly and also get alignment done.

Most likely a bent rod. Did you get this checked earlier at a good garage or on the roadside?

Your mud flap could also be out of place. Turn the wheel fully in the direction where you think the scrapping is happening and then get down and check if the mud flap is in place and the tyre is scrapping it or if the mud flap seems to be out of place only on one side. I've faced a similar problem before and thats the reason why I'm pointing this out.

I had autolinks (tata authorised service station) guy check it out. Though he did only a cursory check by turning the wheel fully to one side Ill take it to him again tomorrow for a more thorough inspection.
The tyre scraps only when the wheel is fully turned into the well otherwise when turning outwards there is no scrapping. I have stopped at the point of scrapping and seen the inside edge of the mud flap scrapping against the tyre not the whole part but only the edge towards the inside of the wheel well.