Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2008, 22:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Annoying problem while braking..

Recently i had a delhi-shahranpur tour on my chevy optra, i faced some issues which sounded new to me..

a) High tyre noice while driving at high speed is too high, didn't noticed it too much before - Any solutions, apart from changing the tyres ?

b) Their was strange wobel sound from backside i.e. back tyres while braking from high speed, which certainly reduces comfortability level while braking - Is it something to do with proper alignment ??

I usually drive at high speeds, so i need to sort out these particular issues so as to make myself comfortable at braking during high speeds.
Old 23rd April 2008, 23:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ashish

What tyres do u have in your Optra?
How many kms have they done?
Old 23rd April 2008, 23:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Recently i had a delhi-shahranpur tour on my chevy optra, i faced some issues which sounded new to me..

a) High tyre noice while driving at high speed is too high, didn't noticed it too much before - Any solutions, apart from changing the tyres ?

b) Their was strange wobel sound from backside i.e. back tyres while braking from high speed, which certainly reduces comfortability level while braking - Is it something to do with proper alignment ??

I usually drive at high speeds, so i need to sort out these particular issues so as to make myself comfortable at braking during high speeds.
Try changing tyres like front to the back or left to the right. I was getting similar problem in my Elantra. Now its been fixed by doing this itself.
Old 23rd April 2008, 23:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Does the wobble/vibration while braking from high speed also get transferred to the steering wheel. If yes, you need to replace the brake rotors/disks.

Tyre noise can also be due to stones being attached to the grooves, please check. Otherwise its a characteristic of the tyre (either by design or by usage) needing replacement.
Old 24th April 2008, 00:17   #5
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Tyre noise could be normal for the tyres that your run. If you feel it is abnormal, check your tyre pressures. Tyres can get noisy if pressures are too low. Apart from this, the only solution is a tyre change.

Quote:
Apart from the suggestions so far, check alignment+wheel balancing. Get your brakes serviced. Are you using after-market alloys? These could cause vibrations while braking from high speed, if the specs are not OK. Check your wheels for any damage/bends (especially if they are stock steel rims). This could cause vibrations while braking.

Check your tyres for damage/tread wear/flat spots and replace if necessary.
Old 24th April 2008, 09:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Ashish

What tyres do u have in your Optra?
How many kms have they done?
Prajesh,

I am running on Bridgestone. Not sure the series name.
So far they have done around 20K km as they got changed by my cousin to whom car was lended in that particular period, Rent was free tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Try changing tyres like front to the back or left to the right. I was getting similar problem in my Elantra. Now its been fixed by doing this itself.
Will give a try to tyre rotation this weekend. Which tyres your elantra is having.
Old 24th April 2008, 09:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Does the wobble/vibration while braking from high speed also get transferred to the steering wheel. If yes, you need to replace the brake rotors/disks.
No, it doesn't but the strange sound looks like something like... thud..thud... thud....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Tyre noise can also be due to stones being attached to the grooves, please check. Otherwise its a characteristic of the tyre (either by design or by usage) needing replacement.
hmm.. will check the grooves and let you know. However, i am planning for tyre rotation.
Old 24th April 2008, 09:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Prajesh,

I am running on Bridgestone. Not sure the series name.
So far they have done around 20K km as they got changed by my cousin to whom car was lended in that particular period, Rent was free tyres

Will give a try to tyre rotation this weekend. Which tyres your elantra is having.
GoodYear.. Stock Size
Old 24th April 2008, 09:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Tyre noise could be normal for the tyres that your run. If you feel it is abnormal, check your tyre pressures. Tyres can get noisy if pressures are too low. Apart from this, the only solution is a tyre change.
I usually maintain a tyre pressure of 34-PSI at front and 32-PSI in rear, i hope it is correct for chevy optra. Earlier i use to keep 32-PSI in front and 30-PSI in rear, which resulted in low pickup and heavy moving. Upgrading the tyre pressure helped in avoiding such problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Apart from the suggestions so far, check alignment+wheel balancing. Get your brakes serviced. Are you using after-market alloys? These could cause vibrations while braking from high speed, if the specs are not OK. Check your wheels for any damage/bends (especially if they are stock steel rims). This could cause vibrations while braking.

Check your tyres for damage/tread wear/flat spots and replace if necessary.
I am on stock rims, i am too even somehow inclined towards getting the alignments and balancing re-done which was initially done in showroom at the time of service around 4K kms back.

Rear tyres were checked for the damages and punctures on last weekend only, as this week's tour was in cards from last month. Tyres were fine without any damage or flat spot.
Old 24th April 2008, 09:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
GoodYear.. Stock Size
How many kms have they covered, did the problem arose again ?
Old 24th April 2008, 09:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
How many kms have they covered, did the problem arose again ?
It was very much recent, like 2 week back i was getting this problem then after that i havnt faced this problem. Car is rock steady above 170 kmph too. This set of tyres had done just 9k KM.

Also, check the car's alignement and wheel balancing and before doing it ask them to rotate the tyres accordingly.

Last edited by Gangsta : 24th April 2008 at 10:01.
Old 28th April 2008, 09:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Got the rear wheel alignment and tyre rotation yesterday, problem seems to be solved Rear wheel alignment was too much out, according to the tyre guy!!

Though the guy has asked to get the drum checked as an precautionary measure.
Old 10th February 2017, 11:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Annoying problem while braking..

I recently changed the brake pads as well as brake shoes for my Qualis (at 75,000 Kms).

When this was done, Mechanic performed the Brake Drums Skimming (Nothing on Discs). Post skimming, Car shudders and Vibrations can be noticed moderately on the dashboard while braking at high speed and at full load(Read: above 70 Kmph and 7 people)

Per my understanding the Shuddering should stop when the brake drums are skimmed in Lathe. But, it has started shuddering post skimming.

Where could be the problem? Will it be improper Drum skimming OR Faulty Brake shoes
Or something else ? experts, Please advise

Also, please let me know if the drum skimming is found to be improper, can I get another round of Skimming(This will be second time, drums will be skimmed. They were never skimmed earlier)? Is it advisable? Asking this question because, the thickness keeps reducing every time, it is skimmed.

Last edited by gkveda : 10th February 2017 at 11:31.
Old 10th February 2017, 12:03   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Annoying problem while braking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I recently changed the brake pads as well as brake shoes for my Qualis (at 75,000 Kms).

When this was done, Mechanic performed the Brake Drums Skimming (Nothing on Discs). Post skimming, Car shudders and Vibrations can be noticed moderately on the dashboard while braking at high speed and at full load(Read: above 70 Kmph and 7 people).
What is the mileage post skimming / brake shoe replacement? There are possibilities that judder may reduce after few hundred km running (Experienced on 2 wheeler post skimming)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
if the drum skimming is found to be improper, can I get another round of Skimming(This will be second time, drums will be skimmed. They were never skimmed earlier)? Is it advisable? Asking this question because, the thickness keeps reducing every time, it is skimmed.
If the machining defect is on the surface finish, another machining should be fine. If the defect is on the run-out or cylindricity, material removal will be on the higher side. Check for recommendation from manufacturer on the minimum thickness of drum (should be available with A.S.S as a guideline / criteria for replacement)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks