Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2008, 14:58   #1
BHPian

Tyre recommendations for honda 1.3 exi (2005 model)

Hi Guys!
After much looking around on the internet, I came across this website and found it quite useful and informative and without any doubts, decided to become a part of it. So this happens to be my first post here. Hope to learn a lot from the "gurus".(2nd is gonna be soon too)
I browsed a lot for a tyre upgrade for my honda city. Found a lot of articles as well but the replies did not leave me really convinced, so I thought, i'd put in my specific questions to you all.
1. Why isn't no one recommending the Michelin 195/60R14
2. In the excel sheet that helps us determine what size we can upgrade/upsize to, which company is offering 205/55-14?

I've currently run my stock tyres for 48K and although there's still life in the front wheels, it's the rear one's which are fast fading out. Hence the change. Reason for upgrade is, better braking on high speeds 140kmph+(highway) especially on wet conditions. High ground clearance is also another reason but don't wish to move up to the 15" segment
Not really looking for YOKS as they are unidirectional and I assume more suited for the wet weather drive which we hardly have here in Delhi.

Any help would be highly apprecaited and any links referring me to an exact solution would be cheered over a drink

Thank you in advance
M2S
Old 7th May 2008, 01:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi M2S, while I'm no guru, here are my answers to your questions:

1. 195/60 R14 is not recommended for the 1.3 because it's too wide compared to the power the engine is putting out. If you had the VTEC this size would be OK but for the 1.3 it's sheer overkill.

2. No company is offering that size officially but it might be available in the grey market. It is listed in the sheet as it is a good upsize but as you can read the disclaimer in that thread, not all recommended sizes might be available in the market.

There are more specific answers to your queries on the Tyre & Alloy section, just use the search function.

Since you're not keen on Yoko's, my personal recommendation would be to fit 185/60 R14 from the following options:

1. Michelin Xm1
2. Michelin Pilot Preceda 2
3. BF Goodrich G-Force Sport
Old 7th May 2008, 09:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Hi Guys!
After much looking around on the internet, I came across this website and found it quite useful and informative and without any doubts, decided to become a part of it. So this happens to be my first post here. Hope to learn a lot from the "gurus".(2nd is gonna be soon too)
I browsed a lot for a tyre upgrade for my honda city. Found a lot of articles as well but the replies did not leave me really convinced, so I thought, i'd put in my specific questions to you all.
1. Why isn't no one recommending the Michelin 195/60R14
2. In the excel sheet that helps us determine what size we can upgrade/upsize to, which company is offering 205/55-14?

I've currently run my stock tyres for 48K and although there's still life in the front wheels, it's the rear one's which are fast fading out. Hence the change. Reason for upgrade is, better braking on high speeds 140kmph+(highway) especially on wet conditions. High ground clearance is also another reason but don't wish to move up to the 15" segment
Not really looking for YOKS as they are unidirectional and I assume more suited for the wet weather drive which we hardly have here in Delhi.

Any help would be highly apprecaited and any links referring me to an exact solution would be cheered over a drink

Thank you in advance
M2S
Depending upon your driving requirements you can opt for 185/60 R14 or 195/60 R14 .
205/55 R14 such size is not available with cos.
You should always have better tyres in the rear.
For your car YOKOs are available in non-unidrectional patterns as well.
YOKOs n Michelins are equally good options available in the market.
Old 7th May 2008, 15:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Hi M2S, while I'm no guru, here are my answers to your questions:

1. 195/60 R14 is not recommended for the 1.3 because it's too wide compared to the power the engine is putting out. If you had the VTEC this size would be OK but for the 1.3 it's sheer overkill.

2. No company is offering that size officially but it might be available in the grey market. It is listed in the sheet as it is a good upsize but as you can read the disclaimer in that thread, not all recommended sizes might be available in the market.

There are more specific answers to your queries on the Tyre & Alloy section, just use the search function.

Since you're not keen on Yoko's, my personal recommendation would be to fit 185/60 R14 from the following options:

1. Michelin Xm1
2. Michelin Pilot Preceda 2
3. BF Goodrich G-Force Sport
Dear IR.
Thank you for your suggestions. Really apprecaite it. Things are a lot better now in perception. I've tried searching the site but somehow dont' really come up with answers that suit my style of driving(and my limited capability of searchin the site) PP1 was narrowed down after extensive research on google and team-bhp. Not too keen on XM1 as the soft compound might leave the tyre prone to punctures. Yoks, although are good, but i guess not avail in 14" and putting in 15" would mean stress on the suspension. I always belive that the stocks are there for a reason
Anyhow, i'm goin to do a R&D on the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport, & they don't prove the mettle, then I guess would safely settle for the michelins 185/60-14. No point fussin over a set of wheels.
Owe you a drink mate. cheers: Cheers!
M2S
Old 7th May 2008, 15:23   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the information mate. Apprecaite it
Old 23rd November 2008, 08:48   #6
BANNED

tyres for old honda city

hi friends i have got a ohc 1999 model. it has alloys and kuhmo tyres i dont like the alloys now plz suggest me some alloys and tyre sizes for it . currently it has r13 195/65 tyres . should i change the alloys only or also the tyres to low profile.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre recommendations for honda 1.3 exi (2005 model)-image002.jpg  

Tyre recommendations for honda 1.3 exi (2005 model)-image007.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2008, 10:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

No idea about OHC Type1, but Type 2 had a different stock rim/tyre size: 175/60R14 IIRC. My Type 2 has 195/60R14 Goodyear Eagle F1 D2 tyres, which is the best upsize recommended on this forum which I'm pretty happy with. As for the alloys, find one which you like, looks are subjective.
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Correction: Stock tyres are 175/65R14, and mine are 195/60R14
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK
Stock size of OHC 1.3 and 1.5 were always 175/70-13 and the VTEC came with 175/65-14 tires.

Harry
Search around, there are many threads on OHC wheels.
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

If the roads you travel on are not too bad, you can try 195/50/R15(Check Dippy's garage)
Else,you can run 195/60/R14.
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ah, apologies for my ignorance then... But 14" rims look much better than 13" ones, so if you're going for an upsize, might as well get bigger rims.
Old 24th November 2008, 11:36   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You don't like the current alloys anyways; I'd say upgrade both (alloys + wheels). 195 on 15 inchers is perfect for the OHC. In case you don't drive too much on the highway or on bad roads, 205's on 16 inchers look absolutely killer. Still, they do make the car lose some of its agility. 195 / 15 is best for performance & practicality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks