Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 08:22   #1
BHPian

Can tyres be upsized before RTA inspection?

Guys, when a new car is bought can we upsize the tyre size before RTA inspection is done for vehicle registration? I have seen wheel base mentioned in the RC. Does RTA object?
Old 9th May 2008, 08:43   #2
BHPian

Wheelbase does not change when tyres are upsized. Wheelbase is the horizontal distance between the front and rear axle.

This is an interesting question though, for which I don't have an answer. If you change only the tyres and leave the rims stock, chances are you'll get away unnoticed.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:25   #3
BHPian

I have gone to RTA office 2 days back to register my vehicle. He is only concerned with the Chassis number to be accurate. I have up sized my tyres from 195/60 R15 to 205/55 R15 and the RTA didn't even bother to look at the tyres.

I feel that as long as the tyres does not protrude out of the chassis they seem to be indifferent.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:34   #4
BHPian

No

The vehicle WILL be registered only at the company default specification for any model, which includes the tyres supplied by the Car maker.

That is one of the reasons why the dealers don't like to give the vehicles to the owners without registration.

Quote:
I have gone to RTA office 2 days back to register my vehicle. He is only concerned with the Chassis number to be accurate. I have up sized my tyres from 195/60 R15 to 205/55 R15 and the RTA didn't even bother to look at the tyres.

I feel that as long as the tyres does not protrude out of the chassis they seem to be indifferent.
If they had actually inspected it would've been a different matter.
cheers:

Last edited by eclectix 1st : 9th May 2008 at 09:37.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:56   #5
Team-BHP Support

I have not seen the tire specification in RC book.
With different variants coming with different tire sizes(Gets GL, GLS had 10mm width difference), I doubt unless you conflict with RC book, there is any way for inspection to show what is the default tire size.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:09   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

you're correct
tyre size is not mentioned in RC book
only in the Spec sheet
and no RTO chap is even bothered to look at the Owners Manual or Spec Sheet before registering a vehicle.
Apparently my Scorp went for its registration After it had been fitted with the Alloys (I havent changed the Tyres from the original though)
and you can see that the tyres protrude a bit out of the wheel well, unlike the stock vehicle with steel wheels
however no problems at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
With different variants coming with different tire sizes(Gets GL, GLS had 10mm width difference), I doubt unless you conflict with RC book, there is any way for inspection to show what is the default tire size.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:

That makes sense. I doubt if the RTO officer has a complete chart of specifications for each model of car and verifies all specifications during his inspection. Anyway, nowadays they are always in such a hurry to finish the job, even if they do have the chart, I doubt how many will actually go through the list and check.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The car makers, while taking the road-worthiness certificate for any model/variant would have given all the specifications to the RTA.

To enable simple & Quick process, only the model name / variant would be mentioned in the RC book , but somewhere in the RTA the details would be filed.
cheers:
Old 9th May 2008, 10:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
The car makers, while taking the road-worthiness certificate for any model/variant would have given all the specifications to the RTA.

To enable simple & Quick process, only the model name / variant would be mentioned in the RC book , but somewhere in the RTA the details would be filed.
cheers:
The key word here is "Filed"
Old 9th May 2008, 11:34   #10
BANNED

Quote:
The car makers, while taking the road-worthiness certificate for any model/variant would have given all the specifications to the RTA
A certificate is issued to complete a procedure and has nothing to do with the purpose of the procedure ...like most other things in this country.
chill out.
Old 9th May 2008, 14:38   #11
girishbhat

RTA may object if the vehicle is modified at the time of registration. The modification can be Tires, lights, or even Sun films also.
I have seen many cases where the showroom guys install the music systems and sun films after the RTA inspection for registration.

Old 10th May 2008, 12:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishbhat View Post
RTA may object if the vehicle is modified at the time of registration. The modification can be Tires, lights, or even Sun films also.
I have seen many cases where the showroom guys install the music systems and sun films after the RTA inspection for registration.
Why do you want to give the inspector a reason to turn your cars registeration down or give him a chance to get his hands greased. It all depends how are you getting the registeration done. If it's through a broker or if the dealer is getting it done from you, you can get your tyres changed without worrying. However, if you're getting it done yourself, then you should look out. As long as you make sure that nothing in your car appears to be out of the ordinary, there won't be any problems.

I assume that you are not going to be getting your car registered for a month atleast but don't want to wait that long to exchange your stock tyres. Hence this particular question
Old 9th October 2009, 12:50   #13
BHPian

wider tyres-legal problems

can a police officer charge me for putting wider tyres? one of my juniors in college was asked to change the wide tyres in his pulsar by a police patrol.does putting wider tyres require any changes in the vehicle RC?
Old 9th October 2009, 13:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
can a police officer charge me for putting wider tyres? one of my juniors in college was asked to change the wide tyres in his pulsar by a police patrol.does putting wider tyres require any changes in the vehicle RC?
Really?
The gods must be crazy in god's own country!!

I have never heard anyone getting caught by police for tires - sunfilms are a different story though.

@girishbhat

There is a provision for audio fees/sunfilm fees in Registration book/card. That way you are legally authorized to install a music system / sunfilms in your car. In WB audio fee is 300/- per year only. I have it done it with my registration.

Last edited by blackasta : 9th October 2009 at 13:07.
Old 9th October 2009, 13:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

From what I understand of the MV act, you need not inform the RTO or get any approval for tyre change. You need to do that if you're changing the specs detailed on the RC book - and tyres are not part of it.

Laws - Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 Section 52

Most Viewed