Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2008, 00:33   #1
BHPian

Michelin Pilot Precada Review

Hi All
I just got Michelin Pilot Precada fitted today onto my 1.5 exi City. (195/60-14) Just wanted to say that you can't go wrong with this set. I've tried bridgestone's, GY, MRF, basically the works on different cars but never got this kinda confidence while cruisign on high speeds. Although slightly expensive in comparasion with the other tyres in the market (4K per tyre), this tyre is an ideal fit for people in the fast lane. Unbelivable grip. However, the only draw back, if at all is considered is the medium-hard compoud that has gone into the tyre. you can feel the stiffness in the car below the speed of 50 but as you go faster, you'll that you have made the right choice. The bumps eventually have become softer n easier to handle. I'll write in a detailed review after the run-in period is over. Yet to see how this effects the FE. However, for those looking for an immediate solution, I can honestly write in the pro' n the cons

Pro
1. Excellent Grip even for wets.
2 Lower tyre noise even in comparasion with the stock GPS2

Con
1. Can make you feel a bit stiff below the speed of 50
2. Need alloys for sure to compliment the tyre. The stock rims give the car an odd look.

Have a nice evening ya' all
M2S
Old 10th May 2008, 14:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pro
1. Excellent Grip even for wets.
2 Lower tyre noise even in comparasion with the stock GPS2

Con
1. Can make you feel a bit stiff below the speed of 50
2. Need alloys for sure to compliment the tyre. The stock rims give the car an odd look.
Just in line with that I think of the Michelin PP's. Awesome tyres, pricey but totally worth the premium.
Old 13th May 2008, 21:13   #3
BHPian

How does Michelin PP2 compare with Yokohama S.Drive tires?
I am contemplating between the two for my new Getz CRDi.
Old 13th May 2008, 22:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

PP2 ranks above the S-Drives in performance but is also more expensive. Wear rates are almost the same on both though.
iraghava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2008, 22:59   #5
BHPian

Thanks a lot Ishan.

I am leaning towards PP2s as Michelin dealer here is giving me good price on the stock tires narrowing the price difference a little.
Old 21st May 2008, 18:22   #6
BHPian

what's the difference between PP1 and PP2?
I've heard PP2 is more comfortable than the PP1 and that's all, is it true?
Old 21st May 2008, 18:27   #7
BHPian

How much is the price difference between Yokohama S drive and Michelin PP2 / PP1 ??
Old 21st May 2008, 18:32   #8
BHPian

[
Quote:
quote=payam;837681]what's the difference between PP1 and PP2?
[/quote]

Here is what michelin India website says
1. Two seconds faster than the older generation MICHELIN Pilot Preceda1, thanks to an innovative compound
2. MICHELIN Pilot Preceda brakes 7% shorter than its predecessor in the wet1 to provide maximum safety even in heavy rain conditions.

Cheers!
M2S
Old 26th May 2008, 00:22   #9
BHPian

Ok then, how have we all been?
Some of you might think that I've been kinda late in writing this up but I thought that it was important to have driven the car for atleast 2K on the new set of footwear before I could write down an honest opinion on what I think of the tyres. To say that I'm glad I brought the tyres would be an understatement
Here is the real deal and I hope that this will put an end to a lot of people's dillemma about how Michelin really is.

Before, I purchased the Michelin's PP1, like everyone else here, I did a lot of reasearch on this very site to find out what would be a good buy, especially considering how i drive, virtually pointing a middle finger at every driver who comes my way. Somehow, I'm always in a hurry to reach someplace or the other. Hence, the first thing that I did need was grip, which would come in handy while swerving around and in case of sudden braking, which was currently not there on the stock tyre of GPS2.
What the michelin's PP1 does is offer you unbelievable grip. There's a lot of rubber which has been laid out on this tyre and is the medium-hard rubber in comparasion with the other tyres which get the soft rubber, thereby offering more comfort. Having said that, the medium-hard rubber offers not only good grip but also does not compromise on comfort although the ride can feel a bit stiff if you're driving below 50 especially on the new set, but as the tyre wears on, it smoothens the ride out.

Another thing which is amazing about this tyre is that it takes away those wheel spins, which normally happen in the honda city especially in the 2nd gear especially on a loose top. Also, The fuel economy, at least in my car has not taken a hit and the car is still delivering the usual 14kmpl avg that it was on the stock tyres.
Apart from this,for the one's who like to live extreme, can actually try to increase the high speed on corners or the "S's" without sliding or slipping or having their heart in the mouth. I took a 120 S turn today in 4th gear and really didn't feel a shiver. It was a smooth one.
This I guess would take care of the dry weather. Now, we move the wet weather testing
As all the guys in NCR would have known and experienced the torrential downpour that not only led to the seasonal, never-ending traffic jams in the capital, it also led to water logging,which gave me a chance to test the car speed at 120kmph without a frown on my face.
Earlier what used to happen on my stock tyres was that in case of sudden braking the wheels would lock up and the car would just slide out of control and my heart would be in my mouth, but not anymore. The PP1's being asymmetrical tyres, litterally splash the water out and if you have people on 2 wheels goin by you and you happen to go over through a big puddle, just watch your rear view if you wanna hear some curses being thrown at you. What the splashing does is that the contact with the ground does remain and the car offers an unbelievable grip even at high speeds. However, the downside in the wet conditions is that the tyre noise is EXTREMELY high on the wet roads and sounds as if your engine is over-loaded. Other than this, can't think of any other draw-back that this beauty has.
So, to sum it up, this tyre is ideally suited for following drivers/conditions
1. High speed
2. Guys/gals looking for good 2nd gear grip especially on pebbles
3. High cornering speed
4. Wet weather/high speed

This tyre is not suited for
1. Slow drivers
2. Budget drivers
3. FE conscious

To elaborate on point number 2- one wouldn't want to buy a tyre as expensive as 4K and having a cut on it the 2nd day. That

The only and the only draw back of this tyre is, that it takes some time to get the heat in the tyre, hence I would suggest being careful while braking for the very first time during the day.
Well, i guess this is pretty much it. If you guys do want to know anything, don't hesitate to drop in a line, otherwise, Jus pick up the new set of tyres without worrying too much.
Cheers!
M2S
P.S.: The testing was done at sohna road in Gurgaon and on NH8
Old 26th May 2008, 12:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

PP2s tend to tramline a lot. Is this true in case of the PP1s too?
Old 26th May 2008, 13:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
PP2 ranks above the S-Drives in performance but is also more expensive. Wear rates are almost the same on both though.
Dear on what parameters PP2 is better than S.drive?

One of my frens has driven 205/55 R15 S.drive on swift D for 55K.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzme View Post
Dear on what parameters PP2 is better than S.drive?

One of my frens has driven 205/55 R15 S.drive on swift D for 55K.
I am surprised someone has finished 55K on a Swift D. I would love to have him/her in this forum for a long term ownership report.
Old 26th May 2008, 15:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
razor4077;842795]PP2s tend to tramline a lot. Is this true in case of the PP1s too?
As far as I know, tramline depends on the tyre size. High performance tires with short sidewalls that develop lots of cornering power at lower slip angles will be more susceptible to tramlining, than standard All-Season passenger tires that develop less cornering force until their slip angle increases
So far the PP1's are doing ok as i'm stickin to the stock 14" size. Can't say about an upsized PP1
Old 26th May 2008, 21:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I am surprised someone has finished 55K on a Swift D. I would love to have him/her in this forum for a long term ownership report.
This guy is punjabi jaat, located near ludhiana.
This guy deals in real estate, computers and him are poles apart.
Sorry cant get him on forum.
Old 26th May 2008, 21:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzme View Post
This guy is punjabi jaat, located near ludhiana.
This guy deals in real estate, computers and him are poles apart.
Sorry cant get him on forum.
Ask him how much has he spent on maintenance and pl post it here.

Most Viewed