Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 23:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

There seem to be two different products!

Seeing Gigy's post, I realise that we are talking about two different products in this thread.

The first is the "Slime" yes, that is a brand name and is not descriptive. Which was added by TSK before he went off to tame the Himalayas (Balance wheels, remove valve - put in the "Slime" fit valve and re-inflate).

The second product is the "Holts - tyreweld" which specifically states that it has to be filled in the tyre after a puncture.

I am more keen on the first product as it 'prevents' punctures which can prove disastrous on a high speed highway run. My disapproval of Holts stems from the fact that I am Indian. Using Holts I have to (a) find the offending object causing the puncture, then remove it, (b) use the jack to lift the car so that the wheel can be rotated so that the puncture comes to the bottom, (c) deflate the tyre, (d) Fill in the contents of the can and then (e) inflate the tyre. Rather than do all that - I would rather just put my spare wheel on and drive to the nearest tyrewallah. It might be useful if one is far away from civilisation and are short of wheels. But even in such a scenario the first product seems better as it prevents the air from escaping from the punctured tyre and letting you drive along.

Cheers,
Old 24th October 2009, 02:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Both are very similar in post puncture application but slime has written down pre puncture application, thats an advantage. will have to check out whats in other brands claim.

Whichever it is, these are for pin hole type damage on the tread side only. such kind of punctures don't get noticed even after many days if the agent caused it remains on tyre.

this is not suitable for highspeed highway runs.

I had run my tyre with a big nail in it for almost 100kms just because didnt find a tyre guy who has got powered equipment to remove tyre for repairs. there was no noticeable leak. may be this is indian attitude

FAQ in slime site-

Can SLiME be added to balance a tire?

There are tire balancing agents on the market that are formulated much like SLiME; however, we do not recommend using our product for this purpose as the cause of the balance problem should be addressed first and adding rotating mass could, ultimately, do more harm than good.

Will SLiME affect wheel balance?

Adding SLiME to high speed tires - especially front tires - could result in vibration. In high speed applications, we recommend using SLiME as a repair only Installing sealant in rear tires alone does not, normally, affect balance.

Do I need to jack my tire off the ground before installing SLiME?

As long as the tire isn't so flat that it appears to be breaking off the rim, you will not need to jack it up off the ground prior to installing SLiME.

What's the difference between SLiME and "seal-n- air" type products?

The main differences between SLiME and "seal-n-air" products is that SLiME contains no glues or adhesives and no propellants. In order to install SLiME an air source must be handy. SLiME is designed to be used as either a preventative or a repair, depending on the application. Once installed, SLiME will provide continuous protection while the tire's in use; permanently sealing tread area punctures as they occur and remaining effective for up to two years.

SLiME's water soluble, non-toxic, non-hazardous and non-flammable liquid can easily be removed from the tire, the casing can then be cleaned and prepped for a permanent repair with a patch/plug.

SLiME utilizes Fibro-Seal™ technology to seal punctures from the inside out. Seal-n-air products are a one shot deal injecting the tire casing with latex, which will temporarily repair the puncture and inflate the tire.

I have a cut from glass in my bike tire. Will SLiME work to repair it?

No. Unfortunately, SLiME works a lot like the platelets in our blood. When we prick our finger the blood platelets immediately clot preventing loss of blood; however, when we slice our finger our blood is less able to coagulate and stop the flow of blood and general bending and flexing of the injured area can start the blood flowing again. This is very similar to SLiME. Small punctures are an easy fix, but large gashes from glass, metal or a tear are not easy to repair and the constant bending and flexing of the tire over rough and uneven surfaces will make it much harder for SLiME to create and maintain a permanent seal.
Old 24th October 2009, 07:36   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk1979: How did you "install" Slime? Whne you squirt it in to the tyre after removing the valve does it not "gel"?
Old 24th October 2009, 08:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Its connected to the valve via a tube before squirting, so will not gel on the way. The process is not going to take any time either. fill in air after that.

After squirting you are filling air into it. why is it not gelling inside the tube then? what more dose it need to gel?
Old 22nd March 2010, 09:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Puncture proofing of tyres

Last night, I was watching a program on Discovery Turbo in which they mentioned something about puncture proofing of tyres.

They injected a blue/green liquid in the tyres through the valve, which would form a protective layer inside the tyres, making the tyres practically puncture proof.

IIRC, the cost for this treatment was approximately 50 pounds for a 4-wheeler.

Has anyone heard about this procedure ?

What are the pros and cons of this ?

Is is available in India ?

Rohan
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:07   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...does-work.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...flat-tyre.html
Old 31st January 2011, 12:32   #37
Team-BHP Support

Re: An inflator that seals flat tyre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I know two others who have used it
Anupmathur
This is what Anup Jee had to say about Slime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM
Slime CAN cause imbalance if used in front tyres; there is a lot of information about this on the web.
There are many formulations of Slime. The one you'd be looking at would be Slime for car (high speed vehicle, as opposed to heavy earth moving machinery) tubeless tyres.
This means there are car specific slimes, right? Any info on the same would be much appreciated.

I believe the guys who have been using slime can up-date more about their experiences so that we on community can benefit from the same.
Thanks

(I paid Rs. 650 to fill my rear tire of my Motorcycle with slime)
Old 31st January 2011, 13:14   #38
Team-BHP Support

the trick to get the tires balanced before putting in slime.
I did the same, and I have had no issues with vibrations etc., even at 110-120kmph. I never drive the safari faster than that, so can't comment on handling and vibrations beyond that speed.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:30   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did the same, and I have had no issues with vibrations etc., even at 110-120kmph. I never drive the safari faster than that, so can't comment on handling and vibrations beyond that speed.
I am planning to fit in alloys and get the tire slimed. (would be getting the tire balanced then)

Can't decide whether to go for a 4 or 5 set alloy.
Old 5th February 2011, 08:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMC View Post
can anyone let me know where I can buy slime tyre sealant and the tyre inflator in Bangalore?
what would be the cost?
Call Sandeep @ 99002 64249. He is the distributor for Slime products in Bangalore. I called him up in the morning today after i woke up his main distributor in Delhi for phone number
Old 14th February 2011, 13:40   #41
BHPian

WHat is the cost of slime as per Sandeep, to get it installed into the tyre ?
This will help me (and others who will know what to expect when talking to Sandeep)
THanks,
Old 1st March 2011, 14:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tsk, What has been your experience after using "Slime" in your Safari. How long have you driven after using it? Does it really help in case of punctures?

I have a Scorpio and i was wondering whether it is worth it. Any input will be welcome.
Old 25th January 2013, 22:04   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Sheel,
Was reading about slime on tbhp, when I came across this post of yours.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2227107
This made me wonder why would you put slime in the rear tyre only? Also did you put in Slime after getting a puncture or before?
Thing is I got a puncture a few days back on the Duke's rear tyre and even with two repair twigs, a bit of gap still remains through which air is slowly leaking. Since the puncture is inside the tread, Im wondering if I can use Slime to seal the remaining gap so that I can run the tyre atleast for 5000kms before changing.
Also, do you think it is wise to put in a tube in that tyre? The repair guy was telling about that as an option. My tire is run only 3000kms.
What do you suggest?
Thanks.
I got this query from Partha. For the benefit of everyone & for a wider audience, I am putting it up here. And also the fact that if I am wrong somewhere, I can be corrected

If the hole is big, try to use two twigs. If you think the hole is small, a sealant shall work very well.

I haven't used in the front tire as the tire which is used as the main drive is puncture prone. In so many years of Motorcycling, I have encountered just one front puncture, in the R15.

On the CBR, I used the sealant prior to any puncture, but on the R15 had used it after a couple of punctures. That is not an issue.

When the tire doesn't have a puncture & you use a sealant, sometimes, it might not work. To make it work, put the affected area at the bottom (the contact patch i.e.) and vertically move the bike, vigorously. The liquid shall ooze & seal the gap.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 22:11   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I got this query from Partha. For the benefit of everyone & for a wider audience, I am putting it up here. And also the fact that if I am wrong somewhere, I can be corrected

When the tire doesn't have a puncture & you use a sealant, sometimes, it might not work. To make it work, put the affected area at the bottom (the contact patch i.e.) and vertically move the bike, vigorously. The liquid shall ooze & seal the gap.
Thanks for the reply Sheel.
If there are no negative feedback on this within the next two days, I plan to get the sealant in my rear tyre only and check if the hole seals itself. If it seals, then I shall continue to ride as it is. Or the alternative is to go for the tube. If that doesnt work, I shall change the tyre.

Will update in a few days how the slime holds up
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 20:33   #45
BHPian

chanced on this today http://www.tyre-protector.in/

IIRC, this company also had a stall in an Auto Expo in Chennai Trade Centre a couple of months back. Didnt stop to gather details, though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks