Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 22:18   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Jaggu, I dont know much about 195/70R14, but if you feel it can fit in the Swift, then definitely go for that. Given your usage, it will only help. Speedo error is something we can all live with it.
It fits Nikhil, my spare is the same size and i have used it for 10-15 kms And ill be troubling you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Oops! My mistake I thought you had already done this and I didn't bother checking that page out myself (I admit it was my favourite page till I got these tyres, trying all sorts of combinations).

So the upsize in 195/70 is not too large. Pretty decent I say. I myself am running at a 1.95% increase, so these are just perfect. And nothing like the increased GC this gives you!

Go ahead and check them out. If possible ask them to show the different sizes / brands and compare the weight across the range.
As long as you keep it within 2-3% you are 100% safe from any adverse effects and it is and will be my fav page for tire doubts. The info is crisp and updated.
Old 4th November 2009, 09:46   #92
BHPian

Now available in 195/60R15 as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
No,Assurance is not available in 195/60/R15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Checked this site New Goodyear Assurance with ArmorGrip Technology and 195/60/R15 88H is indeed available.
Quote:
Linea comes with the same size as the Fusion (and a few others including Punto Emotion Pack). 195/60R15. The widest you would find in the class.

Sadly there is no Assurance in that exact size in India (there elsewhere in the South East Asian Region).

An update:

As of this week, the popular 195/60R15 is now available (good news for Linea, Punto and Fusion owners).

A fellow Fusioner had been to General Tyres, Bangalore (same place where I got my set from) and was told of fresh stock in 195/60R15. Steaming hot off the tyre press from Malaysia. That is what he got fitted.

Works out to around 3800 a piece!
Old 1st February 2010, 11:55   #93
BHPian

Got "Screwed"!

Update:

Was heading out on Sunday Morning at around 09:20 with three of us in the car. Were running late, hence was driving a bit faster (and more aggressive) than my usual pace.

At the Queen's Road - Indian Express Building signal. Two guys on a bike pointed out something to the left. Asked my wife to get out and check as she was on the front passenger seat. She exclaimed "Rear Tyre's flat". Ouch.

Fortunately there is this small road (that runs parallel to Cunningham Road) right to my right, so I pulled over and put on the hazard lights.

Got out to see that the rear left was indeed flat. Not totally, but hardly any air! And all this while, I could hardly tell! Quickly debated whether to replace or just try refilling. Fortunately I carry around a small 12V compressor. Plugged it in and let it get to work. In about 5 mins, the tyre had filled up sufficiently. No sounds of a leak too. So got back in and headed to St. Joseph's Indian High School Grounds on Vittal Mallya Road.

After the function (around noon), headed back to parking to see it had deflated again. Used the compressor (that was still plugged into the cig-lighter socket) again. My passengers went off with a friend who volunteered to drop them.

Got out from there, headed straight to Shell, filled up that tyre (from 17 PSI to 38) and got back home.

At home removed the wheel from the car and saw a small screw embedded in one of the wide grooves of the tyre. Rolled up the wheel to my apartment and took it to the bathroom. Decided to plug the hole first before I water test it.

Unscrewed the screw with the screw driver. It was a 3/8th" (15 mm) self-tapping (sheet metal) countersunk head screw. The hole was small and air was just leaking slowly. Widened the hole with the boring plunger (from the tubeless puncture repair kit). Here I could feel the tread belts of steel (and Kevlar?). Ouch, not a nice feeling on this new tyre. When pulled out, the air began to gush out fast. Inserted the needle eye plunger with one squeegee strip inserted. This was a tough job as it took a lot of effort to push that needle eye (with squeegee strip in). After the hard work, it finally went in sufficiently. Pulled it out and the squeegee held on, plugging the hole.

Sprinkling water (no bucket wide enough to accommodate a 205/60R15 wheel) and no signs of leak/air bubbles near the squeegee.

Have yet to fix the tyre back on the car. Have not had time. But now I have learnt to plug tubeless tyres too!

So that's the story of how the new (now almost 4 months old) Assurance got "Screwed" and lost its virginity ! Not sure how it would have behaved on other tyres. Never had a large puncture in the 6000 km I drove on the old GT3s (one minor one tho'). So the Armour in the "Armor-Grip" got pierced

Last edited by Glifford : 1st February 2010 at 12:10.
Glifford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2010, 23:44   #94
BHPian

Quote:
So that's the story of how the new (now almost 4 months old) Assurance got "Screwed" and lost its virginity
That is a pretty early age for a screw... I mean my tyres were more than an year old when they first got one. Of course, it is a chance thing and depends on which roads you choose to take.
Glass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2010, 14:01   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
That is a pretty early age for a screw... I mean my tyres were more than an year old when they first got one. Of course, it is a chance thing and depends on which roads you choose to take.
True! This is a softer, lighter tyre as compared to the stock GT3. So could be a factor. But then I'd expect the Kevlar cords and silicone rubber to hold up!

And then chance is another thing.
Old 4th February 2010, 14:58   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Glifford, dont believe everything you read in the marketing brochure. :
Old 4th February 2010, 21:11   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Glifford, dont believe everything you read in the marketing brochure. :
Well I didn't! Was just testing it.

Somethings have been good. Puncture was not good. Donno how it would have behaved on another tyre tho'!
Old 31st March 2010, 14:59   #98
BHPian

Note from Mod : No more than 2 smilies per post please. Read our rules

I've Had a long history with Tyres repairs and punctures I had the Stock GPS2 on my palio and I replaced all the tyres over the period of 2.5 years eventually. Standard reason for replacement - Side wall puncture. I had brand new tyres on my car and was driving from Pune to Goa it was raining and on the way hit a pot hole and had the sidewall of 3 day old tyre ripped. had to wait for fifteen minutes for rain to reduce before i could get out of the car. Last evening again when i was going for a very important meeting, i had a flat tyre. A truck came from the front and i went off road for a split second by couple of inches and Bam!!!! off goes the sidewall of the front tyre..!!!! reached the meeting with Black hands and patches on shirt. After this i had three tyres with side walls cut and ripped and no idea what to do (The brand new tyre which was cut i had put a tube inside it and was using it as spare tyre; the left front tyre had a small hole on side wall which i used to inflate every week and the new ripped prized possession)
I went straight to a tyre dealership and got 4 brand new Michelins wheels balanced and aligned and came out with a huge grin on my face ( I always have that on my face when i spend money on my car) Now the car handels better and feels lighter (and my pocket too as it set me back by 15800 for the whole deal!!!!!)
That was my horrible experience with the Goodyear GPS-2 tyres and i would advice anyone to strictly avoide those tyres

Last edited by GTO : 31st March 2010 at 20:07. Reason: Note from Mod : No more than 2 smilies per post please. Read our rules
subodh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:36   #99
BHPian

Fiat Linea Mjd.Tyre upgraded.Smile on my face !!!

Just completed 44,000 Kms on stock tires Goodyear GT3. The performance of that tire was not THE BEST..but not THE WORST. No of punctures i had in those 44,000 kms was 3 punctures. The handling was superb, cornering was good, but the road noise was horrible, thats the only major negative factor on those tires. The profile of the tire was 195/60 R15. I have scraped underbelly lot of times..but when i checked there was no major damages, only minor scraps on the guard. So i decided to select a different profile than much talked about 195/65 R15 and 205/55 R16 since T-Jet has it...

when comparing T-jet and MJD. i feel handling MJD feels more secured than T-Jet (Its My Point of view)since the center of gravity of T-Jet is higher than MJD..so i feel MJD more planted.(If u drive T-Jet and MJD at 150+ u can feel the difference)

So i don't want to take much risk on handling etc...so i chose the profile in between. 205/60 R15 on stock rims where the %error was less than 2%. But when i inquired they said the profile is not available on Primacy LC and CPC2..He said only one manufacturer is doing and that's Goodyear under the name Assurance. He said this tire is highly underrated but the performance will be surprising. so i decided why not give a shot. So i went for it. So far i have completed 100 kms on those new shoes, the tire noise has reduced but not nil(very minimal when compared to stock GT3) and the handling, cornering and braking was amazing and ride quality was much better than stock GT3. May be Michelin will be better..but i have not experienced.

Why i chose Assurance was Indian road conditions,Slightly thicker sidewalls. Any day Michelin tires are better...but when we think of Indian road conditions..u can give a try....u will not lose anything. As of now i am happy as ever

CAR: FIAT LINEA MJD
STOCK : 195/60 R15 GT3
NEW : 205/60 R15 Assurance.
PRICE : Rs.4500 per Tyre.
Ground Clearance : RR increased by 6 mm.
Fuel Economy : may be hit by 1 or more kms(Too early to say)
ManMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2011, 15:34   #100
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio stock tyres replaced : Goodyear assurance

Completed 38,000 kms on stock Goodyear GPS2 on my Palio Stile 1.6. I was not very happy with the tires for a couple of reasons
1) Ride was not smooth
2) Lots of tire noise
3) Around 110km/hr, felt like riding on air. No grip & no steering feedback. Very scary.

Also these last 3 1/2 years, had a number of punctures on the tires, due to the terrain I take to work (small narrow bylanes in Mumbai). Was on the look out for a replacement set.

I read about Michelin & Yoko, but was concerned about the softness of the tire compound. I had too many punctures in Mumbai (where I work) and my trips to Pune. Wanted something better than GPS2 but not really soft which will be more prone to punctures.

I finally settled upon Goodyear Assurance 175/65/R14. I wanted to go for 185/60 but it was not available in that range. The price I paid in Mumbai was Rs 3750/ tire and included wheel balancing. The date of manufacture was 5210 for 3 tyres & 5010 for the 4th. So all are Dec 2010 lot.

First impressions
1) Ride comfort: Definitely much much smoother than GPS2 & my earlier experiences with Bridgestone. No experience with Michelin or Yoko, and so cannot compare. But really satisfied.
2) Noise : Again road noise is highly reduced.
3) Grip : Good enough. Much better than GPS2 @60km/hr. Not had a chance to do higher speeds (80 -100s) yet. Will update on how it feels later in the week.

And hoping it will last at least 38K kms and with lesser punctures.

Oh yes, also replaced all the valves.

Last edited by Seeler_Rebeiro : 19th February 2011 at 15:37. Reason: Minor edits
Old 24th February 2011, 11:36   #101
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio stock tyres replaced : Goodyear assurance

Did a quick highway run & the grip is wonderful. Tyre noise is also much reduced. Those who know Palio 1.6 brakes, will know what I am talking about. Just a tyre change, from old GPS2, has inspired much confidence in braking.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:17   #102
BHPian

re: Goodyear Assurance tyres, Triplemax 2 launched

I am inclined to change my Indica vista QJD from the stock 175/65R14 GT3's to 185/70R14 Assurance's. How will it be?
Old 9th May 2011, 17:38   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I am inclined to change my Indica vista QJD from the stock 175/65R14 GT3's to 185/70R14 Assurance's. How will it be?
The Assurance range is definitely a better (stickier, softer, less noisier) tyre than most stock ones. See if you get a good deal! I am sure you'll be very satisfied. It is a good tyre!
Old 9th May 2011, 19:09   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Won't that size be too large for the indica wheel well ?? Go for 175/65/R14 in assurance.
Old 11th May 2011, 13:22   #105
BHPian

Since you are upgrading from stock, the Assurance will be better by a mile. I had stock bridgestones, then GPS2. Huge difference. Its also reported that Assurance is a much better tyre for wet surfaces. Will know in a month or so.

When purchasing, please verify the week/year of manufacture. Try getting one which has been manufactured in the last 8 weeks of this year.

If you are doing mainly city driving, stick to 175/65/R14, but if you are doing a lot of highway runs, you can think of that upsize. Is that the right upsize though i.e.185/70 vs 185/60(not sure if Assurance comes in this range).

Most Viewed